Im Back From Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We just took out daughter on our first vacation. We did a few different things, but the highlight was out trip to Ogunquit Maine. I ate a ton of good, no make that great food. We went to the Maine Diner which was awesome. I had their lobster pie which they are well know for in this area. It was my first time there and I was not disappointed. I have had many lobster pies in my day, but this one was the best. The lobster was so fresh and delicious. I could have eaten 100 of those pies. We also went for a typical lobster dinner at the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. The setup there is pretty cool. The seat you inside and tell you that if you want a lobster or steamers then you go outside to the lobster tank. Once there you tell the guy what size lobster you want or how many steamers. He then reaches into the tank and with a skillful eye pulls out the size you requested (or close to it) and puts it on a scale. I watched these guys for a while and they got it right every time. They also knew the largest lobster in the pot at any given time which was no small feat since the tank was huge and probably held a couple hundred lobsters easily. My lobster was a little over a pound and a half. It was delicious. My only complaint is that they cracked the shell for me. I know I am probably in the minority, but one of the things I love about eating lobster is cracking them open. I was taught how to do it at a young age and I find it part of the fun of the meal.

One night we stopped at a wine and cheese store to get a bottle and some cheese. They had a very small selection of cheeses, but what they had looked great. We had already spend a ton of money so we were trying to find something inexpensive. Some of their cheeses were over $30 a pound. I was dying to try them, but we went for their least expensive option which was a sharp cheddar. It was easily one of the best cheddars I have ever tasted. I do not know the first thing about wine and what goes with what so I bought a type of wine that I know both my wife and I like. We got a Shiraz and it was quite good. The combination of the wine and cheese really helped me taste the fruit in the wine. It was one of the first times I have tasted actual flavors in a wine instead of just tasting wine.

We spend a lot of time walking on the Marginal Way which is a gorgeous cliff walk that follows the shore line. There are beautiful gardens that line part of the walk on one side and then on the other is the ocean. It is absolutely amazing. I took a ton of pictures that you can see HERE.

Today is out last day of vacation and it also happens to be my mothers birthday so we are going to spend the day with my parents. We actually have something fun planned. One of the local wineries is hosting a food and wine festival. There will be food, wine, music, and who know what else. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. You can see some of the food offerings and wines Here.

GB:

Sounds like a great vacation. It looks like you had good weather as well. SO and I have spent a couple of day trips in Kennebunkport and Freeport. I think we'll have to try the Marginal walk and the rest of Ogunquit as well.

We have driven past the Maine Diner a couple of times and wondered if it was as good as its press. Thanks for the review.

Happy Birthday GB's Mother!!!

14.gif

GB,

sounds like you and your family had a wonderful vacation..That's great. I enjoyed hearing about the lobester, it's my favorite seafood of all.. Makes me want to jump in the car and drive to San Francisco..:LOL: I hope your mother had a lovely birhday...Happy birthday wishes
kadesma:)

What a nice way to spend a few days! I'm glad you made
some happy memories!

Sounds GREAT!! Sounds like quite a perfect vacation! Family, Food and Beautiful Surroundings.

I love Ogunquit and Wells and York, etc. I love the Lobster Pound and Barnacle Billy's and the Marginal Walk and the huge beautiful beach and the rocky inlets.

I havent been to Maine since last summer and I miss it :(

Back
Top Bottom