I'm fixing to lose my little old lady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As someone with a 14-year old, kidney diseased, Jack Russell-mutt, I sympathise. She gets me up every morning somewhere between 3-5 a.m. (don't ask me why her whining wakes me, but not husband. I think he's playing possum), so my already insomniac life has gotten insane. She is my husband's very first dog, and when she goes (we were told she had a few months to live 8 months ago ... and she's like the energizer bunny or a timex watch) it is going to break our hearts. Not to mention that we also have her 11 year old daughter, who will be devestated. So far though, she's showed few symptoms of being in pain. She's always been moody, and just gets a little more grumpy. She's totally deaf now. Poor hubby. When I told him she was deaf, he didn't believe me. I told him to engage her attention, then went behind her and clapped, blew a whistle, etc. House is quite quiet now that we don't yell at her any more! This dog has travelled more places than almost any human I know, and been a wonderful companion through everything. She has so many cysts and swolen organs that she looks, as hubby says, like a bag of doorknobs. But she still wants to climb up in your lap and cuddle, still is brave enough to take on any other animal in the neighborhood, still has a good life. Her daughter is her "hearing ear" dog (how we missed the fact that she'd gone deaf: she was following cues from her daughter, and can feel people coming up to her through our old wooden floors). She's a good girl, and from the day I saw her little face in a pet shop in Hawaii (a whole other story), from the day hubby came to help me unload groceries and saw her sitting in a cardboard box on the floorboards, she's pleased everyone, even those pseudo-macho-men who hate small dogs.

texasgirl!! I am right there with you. I just put one of our cats down and a couple months before that another cat died. I just don't feel like the same person I used to be. And one thing I HATE to hear is "it was just an animal" - nothing burns me up more!!!!

I wish you the best and will send prayers and strength your way.

I wonder if she didn't have a stroke. My friend's cat had one recently and acted somewhat like that. She settled down in a day or so and my friend was able to keep her a couple more months, and then she passed on her own one night. I'm very sorry to hear about this. It's very painful I know. They're so helpless.

BC

Back
Top Bottom