I'm so excited!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
My brother passed away in April 2016. My wish, since he died intestate, has been to have a family memorial at The Lake (a/k/a Lake of the Woods). The clan is gathering on July 2nd for a potluck, followed by a flotilla and fireworks to celebrate my brother's life. I can finally get him out of my closet. I have asked his friends to send pictures and stories so we can read those. Two of the caregivers have cabins near by and are coming to help with Mom. I will get there on the 1st to get things set up for Mom. I am so excited that we will all be at the cabin to celebrate my brother's life. When I suggested I would go to The Lake with a couple of friends for respite, she told I wasn't going without her!

That's great, CWS! We had a similar celebration of life at LOTW for Mom a few years ago. Lots of old friends were there and many good memories were shared.

We all spent summers there. My cousins and cousins' cousins. We are Family..guess we were a bit spoilt to spend the summer at the cabin and the Dads coming on the weekends. We sure had a lot of fun.

Last edited:
"The clan is gathering on July 2nd for a potluck, followed by a flotilla and fireworks to celebrate my brother's life."

Sounds almost like a Viking funeral is part of your brother's celebration of life.

One can never have too many hugs, more hugs for you today.

"The clan is gathering on July 2nd for a potluck, followed by a flotilla and fireworks to celebrate my brother's life."

Sounds almost like a Viking funeral is part of your brother's celebration of life.

One can never have too many hugs, more hugs for you today.
Thx for the hugs. Hadn't thought of that but being that we are Norwegian and Swedish, that does sound appropriate.

Last edited:
This sounds like a perfect celebration at the end of the trauma of dealing with your dear brother's untimely passing. The bonus is that your Mom, who by all doctor accounts should not be around, will be up at LOTW to give him a proper send-off. It sounds like she's a feisty lady - and the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. ;) Have a wonderful family time, CW.

It sounds like the perfect sendoff for your brother. I am positive that he is looking down and would heartily approve of his sendoff. I pray when you are on your way back home, that you have finally found peace.

Mom sounds like a feisty lady. Good bless her. The both of you are so fortunate to have each other at this time.

Thanks everyone, I am so excited to be able to do this with my parents and cousins. Just sorry that my other brother, who suffers from schizophrenia, won't be able to be there...he is locked up for threatening to kill us. Ain't life fun.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I am so excited to be able to do this with my parents and cousins. Just sorry that my other brother, who suffers from schizophrenia, won't be able to be there...he is locked up for threatening to kill us. Ain't life fun.

When my mother was a young child, her older sister Clara tried to kill her. It was not the first time. Only this time she had a large knife. God spoke to her often and this was the message he was giving to her continuously. The day that she decided to act on it, my grandmother had a hard time restraining Clara. She told my mother to run down to the corner and pull the handle for the cops. There was a police box at every corner. Unfortunately for my Aunt Clara, she was deemed mentally insane and placed in Danvers Mental Institution. She entered there when she was 18 and died in there when she was 68. The whole time she was there, she continued to have her conversations with God and wanted to know where my mother was. That was one question God would not answer for her. I saw her obit and called my Aunt Edna. Nobody had notified her. She was the oldest child in my mother's family. She claimed my Aunt Clara and gave her quite a send off. All those years she had been paying just ten cents a week on a life insurance policy for her. The surviving family along with me and my sister were the only ones there.

Sometimes odd things happen in one's life. I had a friend from New Orleans that used to ride with her trucking husband. He often made trips to Mass. and asked about this great big building up on a hill in Danvers. Her husband made deliveries on a regular basis there. Did I know what building she was talking about. I certainly did. And I told her about my aunt.

Today, that institution is now high end condos. And I am so glad. But I can't help wanting to hear just once that there are ghosts haunting the residents. And that my Aunt Clara is one of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom