"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 03:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook

In Japan this is a normal grocery shopping experience: Each and...

In Japan this is a normal grocery shopping experience: Each and every item is wrapped in plastic. What's the plastic situation in your grocery stores and supermarkets?

(I'm not trying to bash any country [or state], I'm just curious how environmentalism has impacted every day things.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	bountiful harvest.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	46804

whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
Master Chef

I would have to say that it hasn't changed much in the Montreal and Toronto areas of Canada.

All meats are still packagedd in styrofoam trays and wrapped in stretch. Small fruit berries are in clear plastic, sometimes with stretch. Some stores have loose mushrooms and paper bags, but not many. Most are little plastic bins with stretch.
Apples, oranges can be bought in plastic bags or individually with plastic (impossible to open clingy) bags supplied. Peaches, pears in season are often sold in paper/cardboard baskets. Grapes in plastic bags,

Bananas are not!

Large vegies in your picture, if cut are wrapped. Not whole squash, cabbages, etc.

Cheeses are in plastic although some of what are referred to as specialty are in coated paper or little boxes. Brie's and camembert are plastic.

Truth to tell - and probably the reason for the plastic wrap - is I (the consumer) need/want to see what I'm buying.

Catch 22
Old 05-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I still remember breaking into a fit of laughter the first time I saw well scrubbed russet 'baking' potatoes individually wrapped in plastic wrap. Normally, the russets are either packed in 5lb and 10lb plastic bags or right-out-of-the-ground dirty and loose in a big box on the supermarket floor.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

In Japan this is a normal grocery shopping experience: Each and...

Well, the thing is, in Japan, they wrap EVERYTHING, not just food items...
Especially, non-food items are practically all gift wrapped, whether you like it or not...

Of course, Im exaggerating here as their gift wrapping tradition has slacked off these past few decades...lol
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grocery shopping, shopping