In my neighborhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasabi

Executive Chef
This happened this morning, 4 doors down from my home. These dogs have been on the loose before.

A 73-year-old man was seriously injured by two pit bulls at his home in Waipahu Wednesday morning.

The dogs were owned by a neighbor and were running loose, according to witnesses.

Masao Kakazu heard a commotion in his yard in Waipahu at 7:45 a.m. When he went out to investigate the noise, the two dogs attacked him.

Neighbors across the street heard his screams and ran out to look.

"I could see something moving and could see two dogs and their tails," said neighbor Ann Teruya. "I didn't know what was going on, so I wanted to jump over the fence and go take the dogs off, but I realized they were pit bulls."

Kakazu tried to fend off the dogs with a hose unsuccessfully. He was bitten in the legs, side, neck and arms.

Paramedics left behind Kakazu's bloody T-shirt, a blood-soaked towel and bandage wrappers, evidence of the violent attack.

KITV 4 News' Dick Allgire reported his wife saw what was happening and frantically tried to stop the mauling.

Kakazu's wife apparently threw plastic cutting boards at the dogs, but was unable to stop them.

The owner of the dogs finally drove up to the home, pulled the dogs away and left.

"His elderly wife saw what was happening and frantically tried to stop the mauling. She needed a weapon. She grabbed these plastic cutting boards from the house, went outside and threw these at the dogs but that didn't stop them."

The owner finally drove up in her car and pulled the dogs away, and left.

"I saw the gash on his legs and I saw the blood coming from his arms and legs and side," said Teruya. "I told him, 'Don't get up. If you get up it's going to do more.' He just stayed there until the ambulance came."

Neighbors told Allgire the owner of the dogs lives several streets away and have been loose and caused trouble before.

According to police, the owner was given a citation and authorities are investigating the case.

Kakazu underwent surgery Wednesday afternoon at Queen's Hospital.

Neighbors said his wife was taken to the hospital by a friend and was apparently in shock.

i do hope he'll be okay. if this has happened before chances are authorities will take the dogs and destroy them.

i used to work at a boarding kennel where we could at anytime board around 2-300 dogs. if you work around dogs long enough, you sure enough to get hurt, bitten, etc. i worked there off and on for about a year and a half and i ended up getting my hands mauled pretty badly. 3 lacerations on my left pinky and 6 more on my right hand with 1 that went down to the tendon. seriously tho, the whole situation happened in about 2 seconds. as soon as i realized what happened, my hands were shredded and i was trailing blood up to the front office. luckily tho, everything turned out to be ok and my hands healed normally. the dog that bit me was a 40lb Viszla (brown short hair). all i can say is exercise caution even with the tamest of dogs, cuz you really never know....

on a side note, some of the pitbulls we had board with us were the cutest and most adorable pits i've come across. not saying they are all like that but these guys were cute.

it was actually kinda cool that it happened b/c as much as it sucked to be mauled it was a greater feeling 3 days after it happened to be flying to Amsterdam for vacation.

~ love, piece, n' chikin grease.

Last edited:
Poor couple, I hope that they both get well quickly. My brother and I were once chased home by a pitt bull when we were kids. Probably the faster I ever ran in my life, in the end we had to literally jump a neighbour's fence and hide until it went away. Some time later the same dog attacked our golden retreiver who was the most gentle dog on the face of the planet. It got my dog's ear in it's mouth and wouldn't let go, it took a couple grown men to pry the pitt bull off. Luckily poor Champ (our dog) didn't loose his ear.

Though in spite of this, I don't per se fault pitt bulls, it's not fair to sterotype them any more than other types of powerful dogs. I think that a great deal of the responsibility in how any dog behaves lies with the owner.

Pit Bulls

Does anyone understand why someone would want to own this type of dog with that kind of outcome? So many breeds of dogs and people know this is evident with some. Like the man who owned a python, slept in the same room with it. They found him dead this morning. People do create their own futures when they don't apply precaution in their selection. Pit Bulls to me, are just like people who aren't to be trusted. I am sure this man who was attacked did not provoke these dogs in any way. Now his life is ruined with this occurrance. This is upsetting to anyone except the owner of the dogs and he must have been aware of the possibility. My one neighbor has 2 Doberman and 2 Pit Bulls. That sends me the message he doesn't want someone bothering him. if they come into my yard again I will not hesitate to contact authorities, that is if I have the chance. I am not a fan of vicious dogs. That is my opinion.
wasabi, if I remember correctly you had a small dog. How is he doing? I thank you for sharing this information with us. Dogs reveal a lot about their owners. I know you mean no one harm with your precious dog. May no harm come to him or you. Hope you doing okay?

Last edited:
ITK, there are two types of folks who make pits to be vicious, and both of those activities are illegal. The first is underground dog fights. They make the dogs mean on purpose, so that these dogs will literally rip each other to shreds, for sport and betting. The second purpose is as a vicious guard dog for illegal activities, such as drug dealing out of a house. A pit or two will tend to keep most folks at bay, and should one or two cops come by to serve a warrant, one or two dogs will keep the cops tied up while the perp's escape.

For what it's worth, "gentle" pits are some of the most loyal dogs around. However, because of the vicious traits in this breed, I am very leary whenever I see one. What's worse, dogs sense fear, and I wouldn't be surprised if that helps to goad them into an attack, so just my being leary of one could lead to an attack.

AllenMI

Thanks for sharing your thoughts . I do hesitate to comment in regard to topic on this site for the simple fact I feel so strongly about dogs. They have been part of my life from beginning to end, I hope. They have always been around to help me when I have experienced any type of rejection or failure. They manage someway to bring me back to normal. One way or another I feel their lives are worth every bit of time I give them. I cannot say this for my own family. i appreciate you commenting on my message. You will never know how your approval helped me today. Thanks.

allen you're so right. my cousin has had 2 pits and they were the most gentle dogs i have ever come across in my life. the thing is there are way too many inbreds in this country, which can also make them turn in an instant.

We had a pitbull when David was small... she was one of the best dogs that I ever owned. David rode her like a horse and they loved each other...

I know any dog can turn mean..but this one was a gem.

Mr. Kakazu is in serious condition as of this morning. Mr.Kakazu just stepped out of his house to see why his neighbors dogs were barking when he was attacked. My sister was in our open carport washing her car that very morning.

I LOVE dogs and have always owned one. One of my dogs was a Staffordshire pitbull. Lani was by far the sweetest and gentlest dog you would ever meet. Yes, I own a chihuahua, and thank goodness, we were not in the yard that morning.

Would you believe the police let the owner of the dogs take them home after issuing a citation? Unbelievable! The dogs should have been taken to a shelter untill the owners make darn sure these dogs cannot get out of their yard again.

In the Kitchen said:
Does anyone understand why someone would want to own this type of dog with that kind of outcome? So many breeds of dogs and people know this is evident with some. Like the man who owned a python, slept in the same room with it. They found him dead this morning. People do create their own futures when they don't apply precaution in their selection. Pit Bulls to me, are just like people who aren't to be trusted. I am sure this man who was attacked did not provoke these dogs in any way. Now his life is ruined with this occurrance. This is upsetting to anyone except the owner of the dogs and he must have been aware of the possibility. My one neighbor has 2 Doberman and 2 Pit Bulls. That sends me the message he doesn't want someone bothering him. if they come into my yard again I will not hesitate to contact authorities, that is if I have the chance. I am not a fan of vicious dogs. That is my opinion.
wasabi, if I remember correctly you had a small dog. How is he doing? I thank you for sharing this information with us. Dogs reveal a lot about their owners. I know you mean no one harm with your precious dog. May no harm come to him or you. Hope you doing okay?

Amen...what I can't stand is that the owner's have no more regard for human life than to allow vicious animals to be loose on the street. They must have known there was a potential for serious harm to be done. They should have done whatever was needed to prevent something like this from happening. I just don't get it.

Jenny

Amen to that! What kind of world do we live in? Granted these kind of dogs are okay to their owners but they can turn too. If you have a explosive around the house why take a chance that someone will get hurt. The guy gets to keep the dogs? Was he a politician or something? Someone has their wires crossed. How do you think the man who was attacked feels? That's who i think about. Isn't fair. If my dogs would do something like that I would want them out of my sight. I love my dogs but this would be too much for me to continue wanting them. When it comes to having someone's life being threatened, that's where someone should draw the line. Even the owner himself should be shot to accept this. Sorry but people really don't have brains to allow something like this to take place. I hear this too often to want a pit bull.

The owner of two dogs that attacked a 73-year-old man Wednesday in Waipahu has put the animals down, according to the Hawaii Humane Society.

A Humane Society investigator interviewed the wife of the victim.

Masao Kakazu's wife called the attack a nightmare and said her husband could have died.

The two pit bull dogs that attacked him were running loose Wednesday and bit the man on his legs, side, neck and arms.

Kakazu's wife said her husband will be in a hospital for several more days.

Honolulu police cited the dog's owner for violating the dangerous dog law, which carries a penalty of up to 30 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.

I hope the poor man has really good insurance - his bills will probably be more than the fine to the owners...to mention nothing of his pain and horror.

Labrador

hope the successful operation will help other people like me to live again," said Isabelle Dinoire, 38, who was disfigured when she was attacked by her pet Labrador retriever.

This lady had a 'face transplant' due to her Labrador attacking her! It was HER pet!! I didn't know Labradors were vicious too. This poor lady is getting some kind of transplant. How in the world does that happen? What a scary story that the dog bit her face. I t is not 100 per cent secure to have a big dog. This is kind of shock to me. I thought they were nice dogs you could t ake to hospit al to let kids play with it.

I've believed for a long time now (to include working for a vet for a year) that it is unfortunate, but in my life true, that certain breeds of dogs attract bad owners. They have a reputation of being mean, then people acquire them because they like that image, or, in many cases, want the dogs to scare off the police and protect their crop or stash. Then they don't care for them as the dogs -- all dogs, all pets -- need to be cared for. While I don't ascribe to "no bad dogs", I do believe that some breeds just attract people who won't care for them. I choose small breed dogs (Jack Russell Mutts right now). Among the reasons is that if they bite someone, they will hurt their --- calf? In fact, neither dog has ever bit anyone, and I've been told by some that JRs are mean and biters. I do tend to be leery of certain breeds when I meet them on the street, especially if unattended. At 5'10 and 190 lbs, trust me a 40-lb or less dog won't do too much damage to me. I think the worst thing I saw was when I first started working for the vet, someone came in with a 3/4 grown rotty wearing a choke chain that barely fit. I told him (vet, vet tech, and office manager all repeated it) that they should buy a new collar. Six months later the dog came in with that same choke chain imbedded into his skin around his neck, and had to be surgically removed. I'd been warned that the dog could be mean when he came in as a puppy, can you imagine what he was like at this point? Yes, you need to be wary of these breeds, but mostly because they simply attract mean people as owners.

Mean Owner

Claire, you tell me you think this lady was mean to the dog? She said she was on some kind of medication and didn't even realize what the dog had done until she looked in the mirror? Can you believe this? the doctor said she st arted smoking again which he didn't think was right. what kind of woman is she? Feel sorry for her but than all this admittance of her not knowing what he did? This story just makes me wonder what kind of medicat ion would do t hat? Thanks for input Claire, you sure gave me info to th ink about. I just heard Labs were such easy going dogs? I wish no one any bad experience wit h any animal.

How you doing Claire? Haven't seen you on here or did I not look at your response. thanks

Back
Top Bottom