In Remembrance of Our Dear Friend Buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I'll miss him....
Katie, I wish you all the strength you need and a handful more...

"And at night you will look up at the stars. In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night . . . You--only you--will have stars that can laugh!"

Antoine de Saint Exupéry » The Little prince

Last edited:
Katie, I am so sorry about your loss. :( Please remember that you have a very supportive families that love you very much. I will continue to keep you in my prayers though this tough time. God bless you and your family.

Katie;
Many have said that they can't imagine how you feel at this time. I can. My parents, and step-father have all passed from mortality to the other side. Each passing felt like a huge piece of my life was ripped from me. Each one hurt, caused a moment or two of intense anger, great remorse, and even regret at things not said, and not done that should have been.

Watching the passing of a loved one is truamatic, painful, and seems impossible to deal with, and yet, we all must pass from this world eventually. I have strong religeous beliefs and a testimony of a living God who is my Father. I knew when my own family passed from this world that they weren't dead, but changed, and not available for me to see, or hear, or interact with. I also knew then, and know now, that I will be with them again, in time. But it still hurt like crazy.

With time, you too will get past the extreme grief that is in your heart. Buck was a great man, and is probably very sorrowful right now that there is so much sadness in his family. But he is also getting to be with those who passed before him. They are welcoming him, and probably asking for a great recipe or two, and sharing wonderful stories about the past lives they lived, and the new experiences that they will all have.

Be of good cheer, Katie. For the time will come when we are all reunited, and we will rejoice with our brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, mothers and fathers, and especially, with our husbands and wives. Buck isn't gone. He's just waiting for you to get to where he's at. In the meantime, live life to its fullest. Give of yoruself to others. Immerse yourself into your family. For as you interact with others, especially when you are doing something good for them, it heals you in ways that no other act can do. And it brings you closer to your Heavenly Father, and to your husband. For he gave of himself to you, his children, and to his freinds. Indeed, his wit and charm lifted people he'd never met, save through this forum.

I won't speak of Buck in the past tense, for he isn't gone. He just isn't available to us right now.

Katie, we are all with you. And our prayers are being said for you. I believe every word I just typed, and even more, I know that they are true. Just the same, it is still a hard thing that you bear. We are here to help you bear it.

Be of good cheer my freind. Buck is waiting for your smile.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I just talked to Katie - Buck passed at 3:10 Central time. She is going to be traveling back to KY as soon as they make all the arrangements. She sounded whipped and in "get it done" mode. She sends all her best and knows that we are all sending our love and prayers.

Thanks kitchenelf, for letting us know! How fast things can happen. Two people who go along so well. Why does it happen this way? Always what I ask and wonder but one day we will all know. If we all lived the way these two people did, I know God will take care of Katie too and give her whatever He knows is necessary. Life is so short and we should remember this when we feel disappointed. I sure don't know why people have to cause one another pain when we could all be gone tomorrow. I am speaking about myself here. I try not to treat anyone with abuse of any kind. I treat people the way my dogs treat me. I always use them as my example in everything. I am praying that Katie has family who will be close and support her with this loss. Too fast! Only time will allow her to accept it.

My prayers continue for Katie and her family.

Dear Katie,

My deepest sympathy to you and your children, and also to the DC family who loved Buck so much! He will be missed. Katie, we hope you come back to us soon....

I, too, went back and read some of Buck's posts last night, after I read that he had passed (I still can't believe it!)

I got a kick out of this one, posted just over a year ago, on his birthday Discuss Cooking Forum - View Single Post - Happy Birthday, Buck!

One of Buck's legacies is his vast contribution to this forum. He will always live in all of our hearts and minds, as threads with his posts in them keeping popping up as reminders.

Katie, I hope you stay here with us - we need you, too!

Lee

QSis I do remember that post :LOL:. He was so funny. So witty. I'm going to miss him terribly :cry:

Dear Katie,
don't be surprised if a light turns on for no reason...this happened to me three times. A touch lamp in my bed room and I was at least 12' away from it. Then the floor lamp next to my chair came on with all the lights on high..that should have taken 5 clicks with two different switches. I was falling apart at that time..my sister had flown home and I was alone. i said " Ok Paul, I'll calm down"

Dear Katie,
don't be surprised if a light turns on for no reason...this happened to me three times. A touch lamp in my bed room and I was at least 12' away from it. Then the floor lamp next to my chair came on with all the lights on high..that should have taken 5 clicks with two different switches. I was falling apart at that time..my sister had flown home and I was alone. i said " Ok Paul, I'll calm down"

Marge is right, Katie... and just when you least expect it, and need it most. :)

sending you more hugs and prayers.

My dear Katie and family, there are no words of comfort when your heart is broken like yours. Your life will be strange for a while without your porch-setting partner. There will be many days of pain and lonliness even with others around. No one will ever replace Buck and there will always be a place for him in your heart and in ours. May God continue to keep you all in His love and care. Jean Ann

Dear Katie,
Two or three times in the months following my mom's passing, I heard her voice (clear as day) say, "Barbara." Nothing else, I just heard my name. I'm sure that if anyone else had been in the room they would not have heard it, but I did. It was very comforting.

I also have dreams now and then, in which my mom and I are together, just hanging out. We are never doing anything exciting, just doing what we did together (eating lunch at a favorite restaurant, shopping, etc.). Whenever I have those dreams I wake up feeling very happy, just as if I had really been given a little more time to spend with her. With so many good memories of your life together, I'm sure that you will have similar dreams Katie.

:)Barbara

oh, Katie. like a couple others here, i've been away for a while and only now saw this. you have my deepest condolences, and add my voice to the chorus of heartfelt sympathy. Buck is one of those wonderful warm hearts that make this forum what it is, and his words will be sorely missed.

Back
Top Bottom