Installing Carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
We're looking at replacing the carpet in our living room and dining room and DH is thinking that he'd be able to install it himself. The rooms are pretty small so we'd be able to find a remenant that would fit the room, saving us a good deal of money. The cost of installation, though, makes the project impossible right now, which is why DH wants to give this a try. He's had a couple home-improvement wins lately so now he's feeling pretty confident.:rolleyes: :LOL: Has anyone ever done this? Is it something worth trying or would we end up hiring installers in the long run?!?:)

Personally, I tried, and it was a nightmare! I think it really depends on just how handy you are.

Carpets are funny, because really well fitted they seem to make a room look better, not well fitted the room can never look good. When I had a property business I decided to have cheaper carpets laid, but have them done professionally.....I think I'd always do that now if I were going with carpet.

The carpet layers use a rug stretcher, so the carpet lays tightly against the floor. You might be able to rent one of those. But by the time you pay for that, plus the tack strips, you might not be saving that much money. Why don't you check out the DIY website, and see what they have to say about it?

]

DH is very handy and in the first house we remodeled he decided he was going to install the carpet in the livingroom. It wasn't a very large room and again he was quite handy. Unfort. he didn't get it stretched really well and after awhile it became loose in points. He too used what the professionals used (carpet stretcher).

If your DH has bad knees I don't recommend him using this carpet installation tool.

Check friends and co-workers and see if they know of anyone who lays the carpet professionally. I have found a few guys that do it on the side vs. going their the persons employer.

laying carpet is a straight up PIA!!! im very handy around the house...and i had a nightmare of a time just getting the old carpet out of the house. i dont even wanna think about ever having to install carpet again!!

I have never installed carpeting myself but a neighbor tried and finally had to call a regular carpet installaltion place.

It looks easy but it definitely is not.

Good luck if you do it yourself.

lol here we just ripped all the carpetting out and you're putting new in.
If hubby's handy go for it, but it might be easier for the two of you to
have it installed for you Pa.

On today's market they offer carpet which has no backing and is a very lightweight tightly woven product. It requires no padding and is very easy to install. We have this carpet and I think it is almost indestructible. It must be stain resistant because we have not had any problems with that. As for cleaning, it can be easily cleaned with a home carpet steamer. After six years, it still looks pretty nice.

Thanks, everyone. I'm pretty much where you all are--that it's one of those projects that's best left to someone else! We've always torn out the old, and left the tack strips in place, but had installers do the new stuff. I like the idea of looking for a reputable handyman or someone who does it on the side. Maybe that will be our compromise.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom