Internet Explorer 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Is anyone using this version? Is it worth installing or should I stick with what I've got?

I just upgraded to IE 7 yesterday and so far it's working without problems. It has supposedly fixed most of the major security problems which existed in IE 6 althought I read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that there have already been some security holes discovered.

Walt Mossberg, the technical writer for the WSJ, wrote a positive review of IE 7 yesterday and that's why I took the plunge.

I really like the tab feature that allows you to have multiple browser tabs open at the same time.

So far, I'm very happy with IE 7.

Note: You need to be running a valid and verifiable copy of Microsoft Windows XP with SP2. The upgrade verifies the validity of your copy of Windows XP.

Last edited:
Stick with what you got. Connie was just mentioning problems. ie is fraught with problems. Go with wireless high speed.

Constance said:
Listen to Mish...I have had nothing but problems with them!

I hear ya, gf. ie is a headache no matter what ya do.

Aurora said:
I really like the tab feature that allows you to have multiple browser tabs open at the same time.
Mozilla Firefox has tabs and is safer, faster, and more secure.

Firefox is the only way to go! We were using ie down at the office and just browsing loaded us up with viruses, at home I run Firefox, unless a website won't work without ie - no viruses, no pop-ups, no problems. Our network guru (for the business) told me to load Firefox at the office and stay safe - it took 3 hours to scan for and delete the viruses! :mad::wacko::ermm::rolleyes:

Hmmm. OK, keep those opinions coming. I'm still trying to decide what to do.

Mish, we are high speed but won't go wireless because of all the problems we have heard about in our neighbourhood with wireless. Ken and I are not precisely technological idiots but we're only about one step up from there!

OK, I have verifiable XP with SP2 so if I do decide to install I should be fine. We haven't had any security issues with what we have right now, so I am still not sure whether this would be a good upgrade for us or not.

Aurora, what is that tab feature like? And why do you like it better than the toolbar at the bottom? Just curious. Thanks all!

I am liking it so far, nothing special to me, but I hear too many sites don't work properly in it and I'm sure it'll be a long time before those sites eventually support IE7.

If it isn't broken...

as others have said...mozilla firefox is the ONLY way to go.

im a network engineer and security admin...and i wont let any of my peeps go near anything IE.

Mugsy, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you tell me why not? I've not really had any issues so I'm interested in why Mozilla is better.

I am using it at work not home. Im not really impressed.
It works just fine. They changed the button layout which Im not used to quite yet. Personally I like the IE6 layout. Didnt really need to change it. IMO. They hide the "FILE; EDIT; VIEW; FAVORITES; TOOLS; HELP" bar. :huh: So I had to go and UN-hide it.
Aurora is correct with the "TAB" issue. Its nice because it saves space on your "START" bar at the bottom.
But again, for ME, its not a HUGE plus.
And for people that arent used to surfing the web (ie: my aunts) it is really confusing because the new button arrangement doesnt say WHAT the buttons do.

All in all..... its a changed button arrangement.... that hides the bar thingy and is more safe to use..... for now.
SOOOOOO..... its up to your own preference, aptitude and functionality.
If I had a choice for Mozilla (FoxFire) or IE7..... I would choose Foxfire. :)

Alix said:
Aurora, what is that tab feature like? And why do you like it better than the toolbar at the bottom? Just curious. Thanks all!

With IE prior to 7 each time you want to open a new website you have to open a new IE window which will allow you to see only one site at a time. With IE 7 you only need to run one copy of IE and it opens a new tab for each URL that is open. This uses less CPU time and makes it easier to switch between websites. Many computers with limited memory will crash or run very slowly if you open too many programs at the same time. This should not happen with IE 7.

I've been using Mozilla (FireFox) and NetCaptor (which uses the IE engine) for years for the tabbed browser functions however, there are some websites that I visit which will only work with Internet Explorer. Not all XHTML features are supported by FireFox and some sites look funky when run in FireFox.

I'm testing FireFox 2.0 now and while it is still buggy, it looks much more promising. There are so many new features and conveniences and the free extensions and add-ins make it much more useable than IE. For now, if you wish to try FireFox, stick with FireFox 1.5x for stability.

Aurora said:
With IE prior to 7 each time you want to open a new website you have to open a new IE window which will allow you to see only one site at a time. With IE 7 you only need to run one copy of IE and it opens a new tab for each URL that is open. This uses less CPU time and makes it easier to switch between websites. Many computers with limited memory will crash or run very slowly if you open too many programs at the same time. This should not happen with IE 7.

I've been using Mozilla (FireFox) and NetCaptor (which uses the IE engine) for years for the tabbed browser functions however, there are some websites that I visit which will only work with Internet Explorer. Not all XHTML features are supported by FireFox and some sites look funky when run in FireFox.

I'm testing FireFox 2.0 now and while it is still buggy, it looks much more promising. There are so many new features and conveniences and the free extensions and add-ins make it much more useable than IE. For now, if you wish to try FireFox, stick with FireFox 1.5x for stability.

Netscape uses the Mozilla engine by default, but can change to the IE engine as needed, without your knowledge. That makes NS nearly as vulnerable as IE. Most sites that require IE are in MS's pocket, and I tend to avoid them. NS also brings it's own package of problems. For example, Netscape has problems with some mouse drivers, not allowing the "scroll" option to function. I use Mozilla by preference; if there is a website I can't live without that insists on IE, I just use that browser for that site.

DH just put it on the computer at home. Once I got used to it, I was OK with it. I'm not big on change :rolleyes: . He said he did it because it's supposed ot have much better security features and because at some point the automatic updates will install it anyway. It's worked fine so far.

Alix switch to Firefox. It is much safer than IE. Virtually no viruses, spyware, adware, etc. No popups either unless you want them. Plus it is so customizable. You can make it do so many cool things. The next version (which is in beta testing now) automatically spellchecks what you type even.

You can have both IE and Firefox on your system at the same time so you have nothing to lost by loading it and giving it a try. It will even copy all your favorites from IE over to Firefox the first time you run it if you want.

Once you try Firefox you will start kicking yourself for all the time you have not already been using it, seriously.

been using it extensively since it was released... plus, i tried the beta version.

in one word... "buggy." in two words... "very buggy." in 3 words, "don't do it."

Further comments from my DH:

I think before discussing the relative virtues of IE 7 and Firefox 1.5.X (not the unfinished experimental Firefox beta), one must set priorities. The two opposites are safety and convenience. One should decide,hopefully in advance, what one wants to go for. In case the choice is safety, Firefox is the undisputed winner according to a lot of published info. In case one opts for convenience, the answer is open. For sure familiarity carries some weight here.

What I take issue with is Microsoft's statement that IE 7 has 'improved' safety features. This sounds rather incredible when it comes from the maker of IE 6 which still has several unpatched vulnerabilities outstanding. In this respect, to work well does not necessarily mean to work safely. Lack of safety (if it exists) may show up later when purchases have been made by unknowns using your credit card number etc.

Alix, based on the above, I think the option is yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom