Is 45 Too Old For Cooking School?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so I have hated the last year except for when I am cooking. I've hated my employer, I've hated being unemployed less than my employer, I have hated drifting wondering "what do I want to be" and having the answer always be "bartender" or "chef" because I was a bartender in Cali but have never been a chef but love to cook (okay, that was a long run on sentence).

So, after "parting ways" with my former employer, I called the Culinary Arts Institute, but am I too old? I love cooking. I watch every movie that centers around food, I watch my favorite cooking shows 10 times each ep, if there's nothing on, I'm watching the Food Network or cooking.

So is this just stupid at my age? To even consider going to cooking school and starting all over again.

You are never too old!!!!

My mom went back to school and got her Master's degree when she was in her late 50's!

Go for the gusto!

Hey, take it from one who knows - 45 is NOT old. I started a new career at 45 myself, and I never regretted it. If you're going to work for +/- 20 more years, why not do something you enjoy!!! Go for it....

I hope not. I'm 45 and I'd hate to think that 45 too old to try a new career path. Go for it. If it is something you want to do and you love then it will be a wonderful adventure.

Hey, I don't mean to make anyone who's 45 feel old, but I do. I feel very, very old. The women in my family don't live much past 60 so I guess it just feels old.

It is so great to know Julia Child didn't start until she was older, that's a great encouragement.

You know, I've got this great spice rack that encourages me every time I look at it. This really cool guy made it for me and it is perfect, and it's got a twin just biding his time waiting for a whole bunch of really great spice additions. Katie knows what I'm referring to.

This is a passion and my job situation sucks, has for a year, so maybe I should follow my passion and trust in the higher powers to provide.

I don't think any age is too old to go to cooking school.

As to what happens when you graduate, I have no idea. Maybe our pros can answer the questions as to what to expect for jobs and career when you are done.

Lee

:smartass:I'm in the middle of a career change, back in college at age 50. So no you are not too old to go to cooking school.

You are never too old to learn. The only question you have to ask yor self will you be able to stand by the stove all day. Will you be happy with salary the new cook gets. In all the truth, if I were to loose my job I would go to cooking school my self.

You are never too old!!!!

My mom went back to school and got her Master's degree when she was in her late 50's!

Go for the gusto!

Geez! Don't sound so shocked! We ain't in wheelchairs yet! Modern science and medicine has worked wonders for us. :huh:

And isn't 50 the new 30? Or is it 40?
So 45 would be??????

Go for it. Then we can all live vicariously through you!;)

Hey Callisto, my inlaws live in Mooresville! We visited them a couple years ago and ate at a fancy restaurant out there (I forget the name). We sat at the bar because it was quiet, and I talked to the waiter/bartender who was going to cooking school. He said that he was going to either a community college or technical school there, and working during the evenings. He felt that he could get just as good of an education there than at one of the big culinary schools, and I would tend to agree. You might want to check it out...

Never too old... and anyway 45 is not old for changing careers nowadays.

Age wouldn't worry me... taking a hobby/love and turning it into a job can be rough as well as rewarding though.

Hey, I don't mean to make anyone who's 45 feel old, but I do. I feel very, very old. The women in my family don't live much past 60 so I guess it just feels old.

Sweetie, at 67, your 45 is absolutely infantile! Don't count chickens before they hatch. So what if "the women" before you haven't lived much past 60. You are not they. and this is 2009.

Back
Top Bottom