Is Anyone following the Summer Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We shall catch the gymnastics and the horse dressage and The Vet also likes track.

London has uncountable visitors, and we were unable to get over as we have apartment reforms to handle and prefer to avoid London during such enormous events ... We are on Adriatic resting ...

Enjoy, and have lovely wkend.
Margaux.

Kayelle - the comedian was Rowan Atkinson as his Mr Bean character. Quirky humour, as I say. :)

I usually enjoy quirky British humor GQ In fact, I can't wait for Doc Martin to start another season. I hope I didn't offend, but I really thought he ruined a beautiful and meaningful piece of music that could have been a lovely moment. Different strokes for different folks, PF. ;)

Gravy Queen,

MR. BEAN, yes he is quite quirky ... The former Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, often called just ZAPATERO ( SHOEMAKER ) resembles MR. BEAN according to many Spanish People. It was actually a cartoon in the major newspapers !!! Sort of have facial expressions that are quite similar ...

Kindest. Margi

Okay, so we just finished the opening ceremonies. Thank heaven for the fast forward and skip buttons on our PVR remote! :LOL:

I honestly didn't know who Danny Boyle was until they mentioned "Slumdog Millionaire". DH and I watched half an hour before we turned it off. Boring and not our kind of movie. I found these ceremonies very similar, though there were some good parts:
-Kevin Branagh
-Mohammed Ali
-JK Rowlings (just because she never appears in public)
-The children's choirs
-The music sequence but they missed out on U2 and Elton John (and for that matter Bob Geldof)
- The cauldron. Probably the best one ever as each "petal" represents a country and they came together as the world.
- Paul McCartney

Some parts I didn't like:
- The Queen looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.
- Liked Mr. Bean, but would have enjoyed seeing the orchestra - that is a classic British piece of music not to mention its Olympic ties.
- Daniel Craig

Last edited:
oh yeah, Daniel Craig gets the Gold from me...

I was thinking Queen Elizabeth looked like she was trying to NOT be teary eyed and was holding it back.

PrincessFiona60 said:
oh yeah, Daniel Craig gets the Gold from me...

I was thinking Queen Elizabeth looked like she was trying to NOT be teary eyed and was holding it back.

+ 1. As did Sir Paul. I enjoyed the whole thing! Totally British, totally quirky. Did wonder why Elton John wasn't there, he's closely tied to the Royals.

+ 1. As did Sir Paul. I enjoyed the whole thing! Totally British, totally quirky. Did wonder why Elton John wasn't there, he's closely tied to the Royals.

My dad and I talked about the same thing this morning, Seems like Sir Elton was the only one missing.

I can't believe the Mr.Bean hating, lol. It's Mr.Bean, the bit was meant to be funny, and break things up a bit, a little bit of comic relief never hurt anything, sheesh. People are going to rag on Mr.bean, and not that pop star kiddy show stuff in the middle, where she looses her phone, he picks it up, and calls her on the lost phone?? C'mon.

While I still think the Beijing Opening Ceremonies are by far the best ever, and will be for quite some time, it is just hard to compare the two as they are just different animals all together. It is sad to see 90% of the Beijing Olympic complex rotting away, they look like a post apocalyptic scene from a movie.

I agree, the phone thing was strange, though I did enjoy the music.

And Beijing, with the 2008 drummers, how could that be topped? Sad to hear about the deteriorating complex.

I thought the Salt Lake City, Utah opening ceremony left much to be desired....

Last edited:
Okay, so we just finished the opening ceremonies. Thank heaven for the fast forward and skip buttons on our PVR remote! :LOL:

I honestly didn't know who Danny Boyle was until they mentioned "Slumdog Millionaire". DH and I watched half an hour before we turned it off. Boring and not our kind of movie. I found these ceremonies very similar, though there were some good parts:
-Kevin Branagh
-Mohammed Ali
-JK Rowlings (just because she never appears in public)
-The children's choirs
-The music sequence but they missed out on U2 and Elton John (and for that matter Bob Geldof)
- The cauldron. Probably the best one ever as each "petal" represents a country and they came together as the world.
- Paul McCartney

Some parts I didn't like:
- The Queen looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there.
- Liked Mr. Bean, but would have enjoyed seeing the orchestra - that is a classic British piece of music not to mention its Olympic ties.
- Daniel Craig

And don't forget the part where they play the sound of TARDIS landing over the top of Queen song. :)

My dad and I talked about the same thing this morning, Seems like Sir Elton was the only one missing.

I can't believe the Mr.Bean hating, lol.

I didn't hate Mr. Bean (and I am not thinking you were directing it at me, just saying). I loved it actually, but at the same time here was a beautiful piece of music done by an awesome orchestra and they are upstaged by Mr. Bean.....um....giving them the finger! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I didn't hate Mr. Bean (and I am not thinking you were directing it at me, just saying). I loved it actually, but at the same time here was a beautiful piece of music done by an awesome orchestra and they are upstaged by Mr. Bean.....um....giving them the finger! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well said LP.........although I really did hate Mr. Bean Tatt.

"Mr. Bean's" silly "shtick" would have been well replaced by the talent of Elton John. He was sorely missed.

I'm thinking maybe Sir Elton will be in the closing ceremonies....saving the best for last! :)

I was sorry to see our Canadian swimmer, Ryan Cochrane, bumped out of the men's freestyle 400 final because of the decision to reinstate the Korean. But they viewed it for over four hours and finally decided he didn't jump the gun (literally). If they had not disqualified him in the first place then Cochrane would have been out so it is fair.

We have been recording everything on our PVR and jumping through it in various fast forward speeds, doing 8 hours in one or two, depending on how much we want to actually watch!

What Andy said about NBC being biased and only showing events where the Americans are favoured, the Canadian stations show EVERYTHING and then run through highlights of it all again!

Well I hope for one they don't wheel out Elton John for the closing ceremony, it was bad enough having to endure him at the jubilee concert. I think he has completely lost his voice, he sounds strained and shouty to me now. No idea what close ties he has to the Royals, not really aware of that, apart from he does a lot of charity work, as do many wealthy pop stars.

The Queens face makes me laugh, she looks like that all the time, is she enjoying herself? We'll never know. She's happy at the horse races though thats the only time you see her smile.

i wouldn't have minded seeing elton john in his old duck suit and big glasses! he could have lip sync'd his performance.

oh, lp, u2 is irish, not english. that would be like the u.s. having justin beiber perform as on of us (oh, the horror!).

so far, the olympics have been on in our house every minute that we've been home.

we won a u.s.a. olympic soccer jersey at the boardwalk down the shore yesterday, so i'm sure the little guy will be wearing it every day for the next 2 weeks.

even though the opening ceremony was not live it still pulled in better ratings than the 2008 one.

For the 2016 games it will 1000000% live I think.

Back
Top Bottom