Is it just me, or does Costco seem overpriced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Costco usually has some of the best prices on gas, and it's top tier, so it's comparable to name brand gas (extra detergents). I probably save enough on generic Flonase to pay my membership each year. I get enough in rewards to pay for my membership most years.

They seem to really curate their products really well, I've been really impressed with a lot of Kirkland products.

I've gotten some great deals on household stuff.

Costco's price on gas here is the best in town, but at Kroger I get 20-30 cents off. Way better.

Some things I buy at Costco.

Wine - Often less than wholesale.

Beer - Ditto. Kirkland Brand mixed case is identical to the case sitting next to it, but 20% less.

Bacon - Kirkland brand thick Danish. Beats Mohawk or Wrights. $1.00 less/lb
Coffee - $5-7/lb Whole bean and type varies. Unavailable at supermarkets. Specialty stores - $12 +.
It sausage - Premio - $2.79/lb last time. Good quality.
Pelligrino or Perrier - $17/case
And lunch - Hot dog, fries, refillable drink. $1.50.

These items make my membership worthwhile.

Costco sure has a lot of wholesale type food shoppers. I don't buy that kind of quantity. Their fresh meat/fish section is ok, nothing special. Walmart is about the same and has stores everywhere. I don't like buying a few items I want and waiting in line behind shoppers buying a ton of food at Costco.

Last edited:
...I don't like buying a few items I want and waiting in line behind shoppers buying a ton of food at Costco.

We go during the week in the middle of the day. Not too crowded. Also, our Costco has installed several self-check-out counters. They are pretty quick.

Just the pizzas and hot dogs with refillable drinks are worth the price of membership.
But of course, you don't need membership to buy these items. Anyone can walk up to the outdoor food counter and order...

Last edited:
Best meat in town. Everyday price is the sale price at our grocery store.

Coffee! 3 lb can 100% Colombian for less than $8. Kirkland brand. Excellent.

High quality produce, but quantity to much for this household.

Frozen chicken nuggets, breaded tenderloins and wings. Great price, great products. Tyson and Kirkland.

San Marzano canned tomatoes. Best price in town by far.

Jar items like olives, roasted red peppers, artichokes and many other jared and canned products for much less than grocery store. Way better selection as well.

Pharmacy: Lowest prices in town and no membership required. My friend was paying over $100 for a prescription and asked me about Costco. Called and found it to be under $20.

Toiletries and paper products prices cannot be beat. Best brands as well as Kirkland.

Commercial deli style paper and foil in bifold package for individual serve.

Beer: Worst price in town unless you buy the Kirkland light beer for $21.
I think its a 48 count and its okay. 48 beers for $21. Beat that.
They use a gray/silver colored can and it just does not seem right. But in a glass, you would think it was a brand name light beer.

Appliances. Small selection, good quality and reasonable.

Electronics: Very good selection, good prices (I wait for sales) and the best warranted in the business. Free concierge service as well.
Costco extends all manufacturers guarantee by one year. So most every product is covered for two years at no extra cost.

Gas. Used to be ethanol free. Now its like the others. 10%. But it is marketed as containing better additives and for sure the price is great.
I have actually seen the attendant putting in the additives when gas is delivered.

Costco is a step above Sams. There are some items at Sams I like, so I get someone to get them for me.
But Costco is cleaner, better lit and all around an upgrade. Kinda like a 3 start hotel verses a 5 star. Both are nice, but 5 star is better. Way better.

My only real gripe is about restocking of popular items they claim are not popular and do not restock that item.
I proceeded to re-lamped a large room with LED Par 20's. I bought a pack of 6 to try them.
They were perfect.
Went back the following week to buy more. No more left and no more coming in.
I went into that room and removed every single lamp and returned them. No boxes left, but I did still have the receipt. They gave me my money back.

We still use the grocery store for incidentals. But Costco is our "go to" store for most all we buy.

OH! Executive members get two refunds a year using the Costco Citi Visa card.

Gas: 4% cash back on all gas at any store. Stops after $7000.
Restaurant and Travel: 3% cash back.
Costco Purchases: 2%
All Other Purchases: 1%

Last edited:
Costco is a step above Sams. There are some items at Sams I like, so I get someone to get them for me.
But Costco is cleaner, better lit and all around an upgrade. Kinda like a 3 start hotel verses a 5 star. Both are nice, but 5 star is better. Way better.

I also find that to be true.
But, there's a Sam's Club that I frequent and there's a Costco practically next door to it. I shop at Sam's more frequently because the place is seldom busy with usually no waiting or maybe one person ahead of me at checkout. Very laid back, lots of senior shoppers too. Oh, and I always find parking very close to the entrance.
Costco is always a zoo no matter what time of day so I try to avoid if I can, and parking is usually like 200 yards away...

Last edited:
And lunch - Hot dog, fries, refillable drink. $1.50.

These items make my membership worthwhile.

I know that when I was staying with my cousin we would always get lunch there on Saturdays. Their hot dogs are HUGE! I got mom one of their frozen yogurts one Saturday and she ate almost the whole thing. Had to remember to tell the nurse before I went home so they wouldn't panic when they took her blood sugar.

Ok. Well, this definitely seems to be one of those things that varies by location. But I'll give it a chance for a while - or at least until my membership expires. I do have the executive plan, which I felt to be rather spendy. So I was expecting a bit more than what I've seen so far.

And I don't mean to offend, but I certainly couldn't see going all the way to Costco to eat a hot dog for $1.50. I'd much rather enjoy a nice, quiet lunch in the park across from where I work. Costco... the place is a zoo. :wacko:

And I don't mean to offend, but I certainly couldn't see going all the way to Costco to eat a hot dog for $1.50. I'd much rather enjoy a nice, quiet lunch in the park across from where I work. Costco... the place is a zoo. :wacko:

I doubt that anyone will be offended.. We all approach things differently...

Our Costco is close by and for some reason, Jeannie and I are lucky in getting to stores, restaurants and businesses when least crowded.. Being retired helps with that..

If you haven't tried a Costco Polish Dog, I urge you to pick one up on the way out, if you don't want to sit in the zoo.. The dog in not only a bargain but, its also delicious..

Ross

Sale prices at my local grocery stores are a heck of a lot cheaper than Costco or Sam's prices.
Examples:
Choice flat meat $8.99/lb......... sale at Ralph's, $4.97, sometimes as low as $3.99.
Choice rib eye roast $9.99/lb....... sale at Ralph's, $5.77, sometimes a bit lower.
Fresh chicken breast fillets $3.99/lb...... sale at local markets, $1.99.
Loin back ribs $3.99..... sale at local markets, $2.99, and often lower.

I buy short ribs and ground beef at Sam's as they're the cheapest.

I doubt that anyone will be offended.. We all approach things differently...

Our Costco is close by and for some reason, Jeannie and I are lucky in getting to stores, restaurants and businesses when least crowded.. Being retired helps with that..

If you haven't tried a Costco Polish Dog, I urge you to pick one up on the way out, if you don't want to sit in the zoo.. The dog in not only a bargain but, its also delicious..

Ross

I'm certainly not offended, and I brought it up. I may get the fries separately, but the deal is good. They're right at the end of the checkout.

My bro canceled my Costco membership card. I don't mind at all. I seldom used it. Amazon Prime is good enuff for me. Costco has giant portions of everything...besides meats. I don't shop those giant stores now. Not even for their meats.
A Walmart is closer by.

Last edited:
Ok. Well, this definitely seems to be one of those things that varies by location. But I'll give it a chance for a while - or at least until my membership expires. I do have the executive plan, which I felt to be rather spendy. So I was expecting a bit more than what I've seen so far.

We have the basic membership. When we were considering the exec. membership a Costco employee looked up our spending levels and told us we don't spend enough to justify the extra cost.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Costco is a destination restaurant. However, if you're already there and didn't fill up on the free samples, $1.50 for a big hot dog and a bottomless drink isn't a bad deal.

I agree with Ross, get a Polish Dawg, but on the way IN though, so that you can refill your drink on the way OUT!

Our Costco has a separate entrance for the "Food Court" so that anyone can go in. We too have the Frozen Yogurt as well as Pizza-by-the-slice or whole to take-away, also their Kirkland Brand Chicken Bake, yum! BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich topped with coleslaw, a Turkey and Provolone on a Ciabatta Roll, Chicken Caesar Salad, and Churros.
We have Kirkland Brand Hot Dogs and Polish; you can have Sauerkraut if you like and then the serve-yourself condiment bar with chopped sweet white onions, two kinds of mustard, ketchup and Sweet Pickle Relish.

We too are retired and now where we live now, the Costco is only 5 miles or so from us (Sam's is at the next traffic light). We too go during the week in the middle of the day, and NOT at lunch time either :LOL:

And HEH!
We haven't even talked about the samples yet!! ;) <edit-oops, I didn't see Andy's post, sorry>
I do like that, it gives a chance to try a product prior to
buying a 6.5 pound bag of the stuff!
The thing that gets me though is the folks that go there
for LUNCH!!
I've noticed recently, at least here, Costco does not
have samples during the week, too many folks simply walk around
EATING! Not buying anything... :wacko:

Last edited:
And HEH!
We haven't even talked about the samples yet!! ;) <edit-oops, I didn't see Andy's post, sorry>
I do like that, it gives a chance to try a product prior to
buying a 6.5 pound bag of the stuff!
The thing that gets me though is the folks that go there
for LUNCH!!
I've noticed recently, at least here, Costco does not

Our local Costco has samples every day and a lot of seniors go there for the snacks. Costco doesn't seem to mind.

...I've noticed recently, at least here, Costco does not
I used to be a "Sample Lady" at a local grocery store back home. Just Fridays and Saturdays. After working your cart for a couple of weeks you got to know the regulars. Soon enough you learned to let your sample supply run low when it was getting to be about "that" time, then replenish after the hungry vultures had moved through. Most people were perfectly happy with one taste, but we had a few that were more like teen-aged boys - they could eat you out of house and home before you could blink! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom