Is Space Exploration Worth It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I smell a debate brewing,keep it civil guys :)
DEBBIE iS pulling the car over lol...
oh and for the record I am very amazed at news of water on saturns moon,just wondering what caused this phenomonem?

I dont think it would be worth 3.5 billion to find out that there MIGHT be life in or on a distant moon. Not even worth spending $10,000 to me. You have to sell me on this. Its like saying Sushi..... I have an automatic nose picker made just for YOU! How much is it worth? I'll pay a buck because its funny looking. But I dont need it.
NOW..... if it discovered cute alien red heads then its worth every darn penny! I could use THAT. I cant USE a microbe. I dont NEED a microbe. And why spend 3.5 billion to search for one that Im not sure even exists?!

And Im not looking for feedback on every probe. My question is has ANY of these probes helped humanity? ANY of them?! I havent heard of anything except geeks like ME saying..... hey..... thats kinda neat.

My tax dollar (to me) would be better spent helping to feed someone that has no food, or that has no shelter or the means to supply shelter for themselves. Or folks that have had a bad run of things (victims of disaster). I think exploration is fine, but not at the expense of human life, which so often to me seems to be put on the back burner. Maybe if we spent a billion dollars to take care of our own, then spent 50 thousand on space exploration? I don't doubt the value of exploration, just think our priorities are a bit mixed up from a goverment perspective.

Yikes!

Space exploration actually HAS helped feed people. Hydoponics was developed by the pace program as a way to grow food in space without soil. This is now a huge way in which food is being grown that is healthier and less prone to disease.

I smell a debate brewing,keep it civil guys :)
DEBBIE iS pulling the car over lol...
oh and for the record I am very amazed at news of water on saturns moon,just wondering what caused this phenomonem?

:LOL: :LOL: GB said it all. We are just having fun debating! :) Its fun! Join in and prove that GB is wrong! :-p :ROFLMAO: Ummmmmmm.... I mean ahhhh... join in the discussion!!! :)

GB said:
Space exploration actually HAS helped feed people. Hydoponics was developed by the pace program as a way to grow food in space without soil. This is now a huge way in which food is being grown that is healthier and less prone to disease.

Like I said, I never doubt the value of exploration.... I just doubt the ability of our government to use our money wisely.

GB sattie is talking about probes I believe. Not about manned flights into space. Also, they PROVED that hydroponics work in space. They didnt discover it. At least from what I recall. Im going to have to seach that topic.

sattie said:
Like I said, I never doubt the value of exploration.... I just doubt the ability of our government to use our money wisely.
LOL that is another topic altogether that I bet most of us would agree with you on, but lets make sure to not let this get political as that goes against our community policies :angel:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Also, they PROVED that hydroponics work in space. They didnt discover it. At least from what I recall. Im going to have to seach that topic.
No it was not discovered in space, but it came to fruition because of space exploration.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
GB sattie is talking about probes I believe. Not about manned flights into space. Also, they PROVED that hydroponics work in space. They didnt discover it. At least from what I recall. Im going to have to seach that topic.

I would be referring to any space exploration... be it to the moon or where ever... man or unmanned.

I am gonna bail out of this one before I make to many folks sour. I think it is a great topic and some very valid points are made.

Cheers!

GB said:
LOL that is another topic altogether that I bet most of us would agree with you on, but lets make sure to not let this get political as that goes against our community policies :angel:

Sorry... :blush: Politics are not my thing either!!!

When going into space cures cancer, AIDS, Sickle Cell, etc.... call me! Until then, I don't think spending millions of money to see what is on other planets is worth it. NO OFFENCE to ANYONE on here. I understand the feelings of people that really want something to come out of all of this and yes, I know that something will, but, until we can use money to cure diseases that we have here, on Earth, I don't think we need to worry about what kind of rocks or where the water is or whatever, on other planets. Yes,I'm very hardened on things like this, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I really don't mean too. My mom dad at age 54 after never smoking, always excersising and rarely drinking to Colon Cancer. They don't know why though. I want more money into these disease centers to find out WHY they are dying!! All of them have to raise there own money and hope for grants to do their research.
Okay, I'll stop being a grump.
I know it's neat to find evidence that their may be living beings on other planets, I just want to help what and who we have here with some of that money first until there is a solid reason to do otherwise.

GB said:
No need to be sorry :) Keep discussing with us :)

I feel a bit out of my league.... you guys seem to have your finger on the pulse, me, just a humble and maybe a bit uninformed opinion on things. :ermm:

You guys are great, this is one forum I enjoy and never expected to get more than food tips and ideas from it. Instead, I feel a family here and that is really neat!!!!:)

Texasgirl youre a not being a grump! You are just joining the discussion! :)

Instead, I feel a family here and that is really neat!!!!:)
Sattie that is VERY nice of you to say!!! I also feel the same. Here are some flowers---->
18.gif
You can use hydroponics to water them too!! :-p :LOL:

TG you are not offending anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and you opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses.

While space exploration may not have cured any diseases (yet) it had improved medical technology in many many ways and I do not doubt that with further exploration we may see cures come out of space.

Here is one article that talks about medical advances from pace makers to the implantable insulin pump and others.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Texasgirl youre a not being a grump! You are just joining the discussion! :)

Sattie that is VERY nice of you to say!!! I also feel the same. Here are some flowers---->
18.gif
You can use hydroponics to water them too!! :-p :LOL:

LOL.... thank you for the flowers!!! :ROFLMAO: You pokin that stick in the ant hill!!!

Wow that really is very interesting, especially about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I did not realize that.

Yeah it is! Heck Ive learned more in this thread than I have learned anywhere else in about a week!! :shock: Early explorers.... water gardens in 600BC! Im really enjoying this!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom