"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 37
Is this banana okay to eat?

So, I bought it at Walmart 6 days ago. It was the greenest banana I could find there.
However, it is looking very strange to me and is still quite green, but very dirty looking. This is very different from most bananas I buy (the greenest I could find at Lucky became yellow in 1 day!).

Is it safe to eat? It actually looks good in my picture... but the 6 days thing bothers me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-21_15-11-39_134.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	16887  
__________________

artofcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,002
Should be fine. Before I saw your pic, I was thinking you had a plantain, which is a whole 'nother story.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Open it up and smell it. You can't always go by the outside looks. It should be fine, but if it is bad you can tell by the actual fruit.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 3,801
What. You think bananas always fly direct from Central America or where-ever direct to Walmart. Banana imports pre date modern shipping. Think ships, unrefrigerated trucks and trains. Think hot summer sun beating down or freezing temps across the prairies before Free-ways. Bananas are one of only a few fruits which will ripen and retain and develop their full flavor after harvesting. Many/ most fruits, once picked,, that is as good as they are going to get. Think, out of season tomatoes for instance. Bananas have a long shelf / storage life. And if they get over ripe, make banana bread or muffins.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
I would open it up and check
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
My answer is NO! Only because I don't eat bananas!!!!! Bananas make me gag (although I was able to stomach looking at the pic). Although I've longed for "smellavision" when some DCers have posted pics, this is one time I'm glad we don't. I'd hate to have the smell of banana wafting from my computer.

I'm sure it is fine. People use very, very ripe bananas for banana bread.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
the bananas i use for my banana-flax-honey-whole wheat bread are practically all brown when i peel them to toss into the breadmaker.

i've always found it interesting that to this day there are still stories of people unpacking crates of green bananas that are imported to northern countries, and large tropical spiders and other huge bugs crawling out of them.

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the bananas i use for my banana-flax-honey-whole wheat bread are practically all brown when i peel them to toss into the breadmaker.

i've always found it interesting that to this day there are still stories of people unpacking crates of green bananas that are imported to northern countries, and large tropical spiders and other huge bugs crawling out of them.

Where's the recipe for that? I can handle bananas in bread and that sounds like a winner (especially since the bread machine does almost all of the work)!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
i'll have to make it again and post the recipe after measuring amounts, cws.

but i can say that i buy a bag of bob's red mill whole wheat bread mix,

(one of these:) 100% Whole Wheat Bread Mix :: Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods


adding it to the bread maker via the instructions, then add 3 overripe bananas, whole flax, ground flax, and honey., in that order.


btw, c-dubya, i'm trying to send you a pm but you're full (but you look so skinny, lol)
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'll have to make it again and post the recipe after measuring amounts, cws.

but i can say that i buy a bag of bob's red mill whole wheat bread mix,

(one of these:) 100% Whole Wheat Bread Mix :: Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods


adding it to the bread maker via the instructions, then add 3 overripe bananas, whole flax, ground flax, and honey., in that order.


btw, c-dubya, i'm trying to send you a pm but you're full (but you look so skinny, lol)
I've emptied my in box. So now you can PM me.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the bananas i use for my banana-flax-honey-whole wheat bread are practically all brown when i peel them to toss into the breadmaker.

i've always found it interesting that to this day there are still stories of people unpacking crates of green bananas that are imported to northern countries, and large tropical spiders and other huge bugs crawling out of them.

One of my earliest childhood memories is my Daddy opening up a box of bananas for the grocery store, and big tarantulas crawling out!
Could be the reason I hate both bananas and spiders!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
A banana can be completely brown and still okay to eat. In fact, I've made plenty of banana bread from fruit matching that description. What I would look for is mold on the skin, or other visible signs of spoilage.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 37
I smelled the banana and it was okay. Surprisingly, it was very clean inside and I ate it cautiously.

So, the banana was okay! Thanks all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130122_113555.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	16900
artofcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kent in the U.K (the garden of England)
Posts: 211
I make instant icecream with bananas much blacker than that. Just cut into slices about ½ inch thick, put in single layer in the freezer, when solid put into blender or processor and blitz (makes a really clunking noise!) add some real custard, and it is ready to eat. Tastes lovely too.

Here's a recipe from the same chef but this one uses buttermilk, sugar, etc.
Banana ice cream: Recipes: Good Food Channel
acerbicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12
I would say the best thing to do is to open it up and look at the actual fruit and be sure to smell what it smells like. Also make sure that there isn't any film or slime on the actual banana. I know that sounds really gross but some fruit just has a problem even if you buy it green. If there was a drastic temerature difference when shipping or if it froze slightly it could all change the fruit. hope this helps
Doe in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by artofcooking View Post
So, I bought it at Walmart 6 days ago. It was the greenest banana I could find there.
However, it is looking very strange to me and is still quite green, but very dirty looking. This is very different from most bananas I buy (the greenest I could find at Lucky became yellow in 1 day!).

Is it safe to eat? It actually looks good in my picture... but the 6 days thing bothers me.

I have to say that I am puzzled by this entire thread. Do most of you eat your bananas when they're still green or yellow, before they develop brown spots like in the picture?

I cannot stand bananas until all of the green coloring is gone and there are brown spots all over the skin/peel (whatever you call it). That process probably takes around 10 days (give or take) from the day I buy them. In fact, by the time I consider bananas edible, they're almost rotten (a couple days away). Buying bananas is actually a huge problem for me because of spoilage. I can only buy a few bananas in a bunch because if I buy more than five in a bunch, they actually do become rotten before I get a chance to eat them all (assuming I eat only one per day).

The picture of that banana is hard to see (at least on my computer), but I see nothing wrong with the banana at all. To me, I'd consider that not quite edible, yet.
mj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by artofcooking View Post
I smelled the banana and it was okay. Surprisingly, it was very clean inside and I ate it cautiously.

So, the banana was okay! Thanks all.

Attachment 16900
Great to hear
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kent in the U.K (the garden of England)
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
I have to say that I am puzzled by this entire thread. Do most of you eat your bananas when they're still green or yellow, before they develop brown spots like in the picture?

I cannot stand bananas until all of the green coloring is gone and there are brown spots all over the skin/peel (whatever you call it). That process probably takes around 10 days (give or take) from the day I buy them. In fact, by the time I consider bananas edible, they're almost rotten (a couple days away). Buying bananas is actually a huge problem for me because of spoilage. I can only buy a few bananas in a bunch because if I buy more than five in a bunch, they actually do become rotten before I get a chance to eat them all (assuming I eat only one per day).

The picture of that banana is hard to see (at least on my computer), but I see nothing wrong with the banana at all. To me, I'd consider that not quite edible, yet.
I have the same problem, I don't eat them until really ripe, that is why I was so pleased to find the recipe for the icecream. Saves me throwing them away. I put some in the freezer last night because they had gone black, looking forward now the the icecream
acerbicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,236
I eat green bananas and Shrek eats ripe...no problems
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by artofcooking View Post
I smelled the banana and it was okay. Surprisingly, it was very clean inside and I ate it cautiously.

So, the banana was okay! Thanks all.

Attachment 16900
For future reference. Bananas that look like the one on your pic are fine to eat. Most bananas I've bought in the past few months looked like that. The store owner says it's when they refrigerate them during shipping that it causes a weird colour change. My kids eat them all the time and they've never gotten sick.
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banana

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×