Is Water Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imp

Assistant Cook
Your domestic water supply......do you drink it, cook with it, only flush and shower with it? Asking, just to compare our own situation.

Mohave Desert, arid, hot, parched, yet we live here and have abundant water derived from private company-owned water suppliers. Ours is Bermuda Water Co. The wells supplying our house are 1 mile away, visible up on a hill about 100 feet higher than we are. The water is quite hard, as desert water always is, tastes good (to me), and we use it for everything except making coffee: the water will stop-up an electric coffee-maker's feed mechanism in only a few months. So, we buy bottled only for coffee! :ermm:

Went to a home show several years ago; my wife gave a water softening guy our phone number. He came out and tested our tap water. Hardness 38 Grains, Total Dissolved Solids 1700 parts per million. He recommended a salt-type softener, but we balked. I needed to know more, never understood "Water Hardness". You want to?

First, there's all kinds of stuff dissolved in water: that's the 1700 ppm number. 38? The industry uses Grains per Gallon of Calcium and Magnesium only to call out "hardness". Means little to the layman. Those "Grains" are standard weight units, there being 7000 grains in ONE pound. So, our water has 38/7000 pounds of Calcium and Magnesium dissolved in it, or about 0.0054 lbs. per gallon. A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, so our water has .0054 / 8 = 0.000678 pounds of Ca & Mg in it: 678 parts per million.

What about the rest, 1700 minus 678? All sorts of stuff, iron, copper, aluminum, various minerals other than Ca & Mg, about 1022 ppm of "other", hopefully not mercury, arsenic, etc.

City of Chicago was always said to have very hard water......I grew up drinking it. So I checked: Hardness about 50 Grains per Gallon, slightly more than our tap water here. Theirs comes from Lake Michigan, ours from some Aquifer underground.

Why call out only Calcium and Magnesium when citing "hardness"? I dunno, 'cause neither is particularly harmful, Magnesium is an essential nutrient for humans, Calcium, obviously, is also, for the bones. So, how is your water? Satisfactory? Use it for cooking? Me, I like drinking distilled water, like it's taste, but that's another story.

Last edited:
My parents and sister have water softeners. They love them. My last house had one (the wife's choice), as well as a multi-stage purification system. Our water did taste pretty darned good.

Where I live, hardness isn't the biggest issue. We use lake water here, and we get a lot of sediment. The water is safe, but tastes like algae in the summer, and I have to flush the water heater three or more times a year.

If you do get a water softener, you need to have a bypass for watering plants and lawns. The trace amounts of salt will kill vegetation. You also can't use the softened water in pools, or it will draw minerals from the pool walls, causing pitting.

If you have a real mineral problem, a water softener can be a big help, but I would also get the full filtration package, too, so you have soft water that tastes good.

CD

Water in nz is pretty good, Christchurch, where I live have been changing due to aquifers and our earthquakes 8 years ago. My fridge has a filter on it so our drinking water is used from there. My daughters dog will only drink our filtered water. Not their tap water. She fills up here at the weekend. I also use filtered water for my gin.

Russ

Reactions: imp
I wonder if you guys draw from the Ogalala aquifer?

No chance! However, as I understand the Ogalala, from long ago, it serves a huge area east of the Rockies, I suppose east of the Divide. Depletion of it is no doubt a problem.

Our Aquifer? Maybe only surface water rather than aquifer, though I doubt that. We reside 2 miles east of the Colorado River, which has flowed through here for millions of years. But, it's presence in no way provides proof of aquifer replenishment, as that likely depended on zillions of years of river flow occurring way upstream, in the now well-known area of the Grand Canyon.

Desert ground water availability has long mystified me. Years back, living outside of Phoenix (AZ), huge tracts of Indian-owned land were leased for crop-growing. Giant electric motors, some of 300 HP, raised water from depths of, I was told, 1000 feet or more. We occasioned to watch Indian families, kids included, to languish in the ditches fed by these huge pumps, in the summertime. I once tried to determine just how much water this amounted to. A pump discharge pipe, about 12 inches in diameter, was pouring huge amounts of water out into the channel. I stuck my forearm and hand in the flow right near the pump output: it produced a force almost enough to break my arm!

Our water comes out of the Saint Lawrence River. Actually, so does my m-i-l's and she lives 100 km from here. We use a Britta filter, but it tastes fine even without.

Doesn't maintaining life constitute providing nourishment?

I guess that's semantics. I just didn't know where to post this.

We need a number of different things to stay alive, including water, air, and food. Food provides nutrients (fats, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc.) for the body. Air and water do not. There is a difference.

I'm not saying water isn't essential, just that it isn't food.

Water is an essential ingredient for life and can transport nutrients, but it has no nutritional value in and of itself. In different regions it carries different combinations of minerals, and in some areas is actually toxic. It also is a support medium for all sorts of bacterial organisms, some beneficial, some neutral, and some pathogenic.

It's also a very effective solvent, which is why it is so good at carrying so many dissolved minerals.

Back
Top Bottom