Isn't it amazin...;

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Isn't it amazing what we take for granted? I roasted a turkey for a pot luck to be held at work yesterday. I had promised that if everyone gave me $2, I would purchase a turkey and barbecue it with smoke. As luck would have it, the weather wouldn't cooperate on Monday night. I was force to roast the bird. So I made broth by pressure cooking the neck, livers, and other giblets. When it was done, I added salt, sage, and liquid smoke (mesquite flavor). I injected that into the bird, all over the bird and let it sit for 20minutes to let the smokey liquid distribute in the bird. I used the pan drippings to immerse the carved turkey meat in, with more liquid smoke added to the drippings. The turkey sat in the electric roasting pan, refrigerated over night, then heated before the pot luck. The pan juices were used to make gravy at the pot luck. Everyone thought the bird had been smoked and were very happy with the results.

Later that evening, I and a couple of young men from out church visited and elderly gentlemen and brought a bit of Christmas spirit to his home. He is diabetic, and has arthritis. I brought some cooked rice, left-over turkey, and various seasonings and flavoring to make him some fried rice. I wanted to make some scrambled eggs to go into the fired rice, and was busy multi-tasking in a small kitchen. I broke the eggs into a mixing bowl with one hand while heating a pan and adding butter to it with the other. One of the young men, and the man we were visiting commented on how cool it was that I could break open eggs with one hand.

The point is, that even though something like using alternate techniques to roast a smoked turkey, or cracking open raw eggs with one hand may seem like child's play to those of us who do such things, others have such limited cooking knowledge or experience, or are handicapped such that they don't have a chance at duplicating what we can do. We need to be aware that we can use our talents, knowledge and experience to bring joy to others, for sometimes, they can't do it themselves.

It is wrong to use talents and abilities to puff oneself up. It is a blessing to use them to lift up another. The co-workers at the potluck were able to enjoy great turkey. The elderly gentleman was so very thankful for a good dish of fried rice, a humble dish that took a mere twenty minutes to make, and for the spiritual lesson that came with the meal.

Give your best always, and your own joy will be multipliled in the joy of others.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Lovely post and a good reminder of how easy it is to overlook that which we take for granted but should be grateful for.
color.gif

I am fortunate. I live in a building that allows me to do nice deeds quietly for others all the time. Yesterday we received about 15 package from FedEx and UPS. They were just left next to the mailboxes in the lobby. I grabbed all the small ones and dropped them off at the apartments they were designated for and then went back for the big ones. I just love my scooter. It allows me to do so much that I otherwise would never be able to do. :angel:

With all of this Porch-package-stealing going on now, I know what time all of the different deliveries come through our neighborhood and if I see them stop at one of our neighbors home and they don't come out right away to retrieve it, I do and wait for them to come home and hand deliver it to them.
Who knows what's in that box...

With all of this Porch-package-stealing going on now, I know what time all of the different deliveries come through our neighborhood and if I see them stop at one of our neighbors home and they don't come out right away to retrieve it, I do and wait for them to come home and hand deliver it to them.
Who knows what's in that box...

Our packages are delivered inside where our mailboxes are. Many of the residents receive their meds by mail. You can see through the locked door if there are any packages. As a result we have had medical packages stolen by an outsider looking for someone coming in. Followed in right behind them and stole the meds. You can tell which are meds and which are not. Just shake the package and the pills rattle. Since that happened more than once, the mailman now brings them into the office. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom