ISO Help/Advice w/Wireless Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I recall, when my neighbor and I did this at the coast, she brought her laptop to my house and we connected it directly to the router with an ethernet cable. Then via the router software on my computer, the router configured and registered her computer and added it to my network. Then when she took it home, her wireless adaptor would just automatically find and connect to my network. I think you will need to configure her computer and add it to your network. You can do it by entering a router registration key or, if it's a laptop, it might be easier for her to take it to your house and plug it directly into your router for auto configuring. Then she would take it home, hook up the Hawkings device so that it can pick up your network at that distance, and then connect to your network. Does that make any sense?

As I recall, when my neighbor and I did this at the coast, she brought her laptop to my house and we connected it directly to the router with an ethernet cable. Then via the router software on my computer, the router configured and registered her computer and added it to my network. Then when she took it home, her wireless adaptor would just automatically find and connect to my network. I think you will need to configure her computer and add it to your network. You can do it by entering a router registration key or, if it's a laptop, it might be easier for her to take it to your house and plug it directly into your router for auto configuring. Then she would take it home, hook up the Hawkings device so that it can pick up your network at that distance, and then connect to your network. Does that make any sense?
:) Cool do I need to buy an ethernet cable? She has a laptop.

:) Cool do I need to buy an ethernet cable? She has a laptop.
You may have one that came with your router. If not, you can buy one at WalMart or Target, I think. Also, check around with friends - someone may have one they could loan you since you only need it for a a brief period.

Don't even need to do that. If you look on your 'Task bar' you have the 'start' button on the left, and a row of really small icons on the left, probably next to the time. One is a computer with 'waves' coming out of it. Right click on it, and click on 'view available wireless networks'.
The one you want to connect to should be listed, and if Windows hasn't already asked you to connect to it, just highlight it and click 'connect'. If it takes a WEP or other key it will prompt you when to enter it.
If the wireless network you want is not listed, make sure your antenna is pointed in the right direction and shows it is getting a strong signal, then click on 'search for available wireless networks'. This is from the same window that is listing all the networks currently available. It should find the network you want, then you can click on 'connect'.
Nothing to it, sounds more complicated then it actually is.

:) Thanks everyone I hope it all comes easy I have managed to do alot of things like that so I hope this wont give me any headaches.

:):):):) Yipee! I got the thing today we got it up and running in under an hour the little icon said we were connected but no signal but it's working anyway now all she has to do is tweak the antenna a little to get the strongest possible signal. She was soo happy no more dial up. I wont be real happy until it has run at least a week that way I'm sure it's working.:):)

Back
Top Bottom