ISO help with old dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I have only one dog left after losing the other two. This one is so lost as she is going blind and cannot hear at all. She is little shi ztu and I let her sleep on my bed as my sympathy goes overboard. Last nite the bed was wet. No matter if I would scold her for anything she doesn't hear and just repeats the problem again. When anything gets old, have to take accept lot of accidents that they normally would not do.

Could you tell me how to handle this easy so not to hurt her feelings? I know she wants to be close to someone so she can feel them more than see or hear. Thanks for understanding.

This is really embarrassing and I know you all will put yourself in my place. Thanks for your time.

Do you have a pet store that stocks those "puppy pads"? They are for house training, but they are absorbent and would do the job.

If you don't have that available, I would go to a baby supply store and buy some plastic backed mattress pads for cribs. That would do the job and be more environmentally friendly as well. Good luck ITK.

I've seen the puppy pads at our area Wal-Mart stores. If you can't get them, you might get the pads that are used in beds for the elderly. They're usually in the department where sanitary napkins, etc. are stocked.

ITK, I'm sure your doggie appreciates your love and efforts.

Just in case your dog doesn't like the feel of the puppy pads, you might cover them with an old sheet which you can then wash.
I am truly happy that you are being so considerate of your old friend.
It always hurts to lose a pet.

How old is your dog? You may want to bring this up to your vet. Dogs don't just wet themselves. There may be some king of infection or something. Also, if you leave water out, get it out of reach around dinner time. I know my mutt's routine like the back of my hand, try and work around that. But first, ask your vet.

Do not scold you dog either. The dog may not have control over wetting the bed.

Jeekinz is right -- get your dog checked out. The urination could be a UTI or another condition. Even if it isn't, there is medication that can sometimes help dogs with continence issues.

My beagle wore a baby diaper. We rigged up a clip system and he wore the diaper sideways.

A "wee wee" pad or a sanitary napkin and a plastic mattress pad should address the situation.

ITK, please check with your vet. There could be something that can be done medically.

We had a little foster Pug/chichuahua with epilepsy. If she had seizures at night we'd have to get up and change all the bedding. Really a hassle - we got one of the rubberized baby crib pads, put a folded bath towel on that and she slept there - solved the problem until we got her on meds that stopped the seizures.

You can also get "***** britches" at pet supply stores - they are normally used for female dogs in heat, plastic lined and you secure a sanitary napkin in them and put them on the dog (there's a hole for the tail). For male dogs "belly bands" really work well, again a sanitary napkin provides the absorbant protection and a fabric band with velcro holds it in place.

Understanding

All of you are so understanding. Just hope you don't have heartache with your friends. My dog follows me around just to try to see me what she can. It is just hard for me to know that this is the beginning. Just breaks my heart and I want to cry when I see how dependent she is. ( she is the one who bites on her paws and the vet gives her steroids to stop it) just let her chew. I think the steroids are worse. Have tried all suggestions and still persists.

i have to go to the store and see what they have available for the bed. I just don't want to make her feel unwanted at this point. Always looking for the other dog. When we put the one with diabetes down the vet acted as if he wanted to be there alone. He said you know how we did to your other dog. This dog was so weak just laid on the table and did not show no feeling at all. She was one smart dog and she knew what was going to take place. No fooling her.

Better get going see if I can get something or else will just have to use some kind of old blanket till I do. This is first dog that has ever done this and I was really ashamed to ask but I am thankful I did cause you all feel the pain too.

Thank you all very much.

Alix

You are so special! You truly are considerate of me and my dog. We both are getting up in age and I know when your time comes someone will be 'special' to you too. You always seem to take the time to help me understand no matter what it is. I am so grateful you are here. Please don't ever leave cause the world needs people like you. I appreciate everyone who love their animals to offer advice and thoughts. Just is so durn depressing and breaks my heart.

The dog was behind the door when I came up from the basement and pushed her away. She knows she is old. I just don't see her and sometimes she doesn't hear either. What can you do when you love something so much? Even the family doesn't show me the kind of love she does.

Make sure you bring her to the vet. The blankets and diapers are only items to make your life easier.

Your dog may be in some serious pain. They don't come out and say "My belly hurts." They deal with it, and deal with it, and deal with it.

My old dog always slept in the bed with us, and she started leaking at night. We took her to the vet and got her on Science Diet K/D and the night time problem went away. The doc gave her a few months to live, and she lived for another 18 mos, and never wet the bed again. Don't get me wrong, she sometimes she didn't make it all the way to outside, but never wet the bed. She'd wake me up to take her out (which sure beats washing pissy sheets). The doc said there are other meds, too, specifically for doggie senility which can be the problem. In her case it was kidney disease, which did do her in in the end. I still have an old doggie (her daughter is now getting on), and so far so good. Once again, she doesn't always make it out the door and I can see some signs of doggie senility. But so far no bedwetting.

Jeekinz said:
Also, if you leave water out, get it out of reach around dinner time.
Unless your vet says differently I wouldn't put the water out of reach. Before I got kidney stones and diabetes I might have said the same thing, but I have learned that dogs are prone to those, and other, problems too. You should definitely make sure you take the dog out to go right before bed, and if you are able you might even want to set your alarm and take her out at least once during the night.

:) Barbara

ITK - Unfortunately when one owns a pet we must take the bad with the good. Life is a cycle and as long as we do the best we can that's truly the best we can hope for. Someone said put a sheet down - I was going to say basically the same thing if your dog didn't like the feel of the pad. Put a sheet, folded over and over and make it comfy for your dog.

I agree, get your dog to the vet and see what is going on. And like someone else said, don't scold her, it's not her fault. Just love on her.

All you can do Jeanette is just love, love, love, love her. Your dog doesn't mean to cause you sorrow - it's just what happens when our dogs get older. If it helps just know that your dog probably isn't as sad as you are. Our dogs just love us and love being around us, that's all they want. If she has some kind of UTI though you can make her feel MUCH better by getting that treated!!!!! You will see a definite improvement in her!

And you are right, our dogs/cats/animals love us MUCH more than our family - and I'm not sure I don't love my dog more sometimes! :LOL: :LOL:

You can't really get too upset here until you talk to your vet. We're here ITK - I think you still have my e-mail, don't you? PM me if you want to chat privately.

As far as you not seeing the dog when you came up from the basement - just assume that she is behind every door you have to open, around every corner you turn, and go slowly and gingerly.

Hugs to you ITK.

:( When dogs get older they can lose control of their bladders and bowels.I would use some old towels for now she's small so it cant be that much.I would not take the water away no matter what when they want water they need to have water.Also steroids only increase the appetite for water.She is old and this is what happens .You can get special doggy diapers for this or modify sanitary pads or maby new born baby diapers could work.I feel for you and love that you will not let her down just because she is having problems in her old age.A plastic pad under her will help to.
One big question is.Does she still get joy out of her life like wagging her tail when she's with you her toys etc.If she has no joy in her life?

Believe

My family always thought I was the only one who sleeps with my dog! If only I could get them to read your comments!

My dog has not wet the bed since I last wrote about the problem. I just wonder if the fact that she is alone has something to do with it. Wish she could just tell me. I am keeping all your advice for the next time I have some unexpected incident. Just gave me terrible feeling when I discovered it. The fact that she is so deaf is a real heartache. I keep her leash on her all the time so when she lays down under something i can see the leash. I often think, when will they have to put a leash on me?

Thanks all your time and suggestions. I know she appreciates it and so do I.

Claire, thanks for update on your lost little dog. Sounds like you know how to handle things.

ITK - I understand you want to keep the leash on her so you can see it if she is under something - but be really careful because she could get it caught on something and not be able to get untangled - I wouldn't want her to choke herself. I don't know if that is a possibility - only you know that.

Bells

When she gets hung up on something she barks until someone helps her. I would never leave it on her if no one was home.

Do I go to Petsmart for bells or to a gift shop or craft shop? I would like to make as few stops as possible If you were going with me, where would you go first? Bells is good idea but if she doesn't move?

Another thing. If I don't have the leash on her, she can be under something and i walk back and forth many times and she doesn't move. What would I do then? She has her own mind about me and she will only do what she wants. With the leash it is always left out in open.

Now I have faith in you people that you can outsmart this one little dog. I admit quickly that she knows me too well.

Thanks for your time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom