ISO Laundry help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I have tried everything on this stain and need some inspiration.

The stain is from an apple core. So its sort of a rusty brownish colour. I didn't know about it in time, didn't pretreat and it went thru both washer and dryer. Am I hooped? I've tried Tide with bleach, Fantastik, Oxiclean, Amaze and Purex. I just bought a tide to go stick thingy. Any other thoughts would be most welcome!

Alix

Before I put my laundry in the washing machine I spray Spray 'n Wash on any stains. I let it soak from one to five minutes depending how bad the stain is. All my stains have always come off.

I was looking at the bottle but it doesn't say who makes it. The phone number is 1-800-260-1066.

Hope it helps.

Jill and Jolie

Alix said:
OK, I have tried everything on this stain and need some inspiration.

The stain is from an apple core. So its sort of a rusty brownish colour. I didn't know about it in time, didn't pretreat and it went thru both washer and dryer. Am I hooped? I've tried Tide with bleach, Fantastik, Oxiclean, Amaze and Purex. I just bought a tide to go stick thingy. Any other thoughts would be most welcome!

I can't promise you results, but sometimes when nothing else works, I've had success with Goo Gone. Read the directions for laundry.

I checked my old Mary Ellen Best of Helpful Hints books, but I don't know whether her hints are useful once the item has been laundered: She recommends pretreating with a little bit of automatic dishwasher detergent on the dampened spot and scrubbing gently with an old toothbrush. For fruit stains specifically, she also mentions stretching the stained area over a bowl and pouring boiling water, from a height of several feet, through the stain.

If it is white cotton, I'd treat with a pretreat and wash with a load of towels or something that is bleached. It may take a couple of times. Sounds like you hate spots as much as I do. DH always asks why I don't use my good dishcloths to clean up kitchen messes - that is why.

kitchenelf said:
washing + drying = hooped I do believe :(

Most of the time, this is the case for me. But in one last-ditch effort, I'd get some of the powdered color safe bleach (I just use store brand generic), put a bunch in a bucket with some warm water (I don't measure!) and put in the piece of clothing and let it soak for a day or two. This is usually my no-fail method, and if that doesn't work then I'd say hooped, too.

Is there anything you could do w/ white vinegar? I've never used it for laundry but isn't it supposed to be the miracle cure-all?

You might try one of the Carbona Stain Devils. You can see the different ones at www.carbona.com. If you want to talk to someone there about your type of stain their phone number is 1-866-227-2662. I use them all the time, especially the one for Blood & Milk. It's worth a try. Looks like #8 is the one you should try. You haven't put the item in the dryer yet, have you? If you have, then you probably won't get the stain out because the heat from the dryer would have set the stain in.

Stain Devils are great. If you can't get them in your grocery store, they can be ordered online. Good luck!

OK, I was sort of afraid I might be hooped. I haven't tried the auto dish detergent, or the Goo Gone, or the vinegar. I DID do the boiling water thing (which is just short of miraculous on any berry stain) but as I said I did it AFTER the thing went thru the washer and dryer. DANG IT!

I'm a bit worried about doing any kind of soaking in bleach as the shirt is sort of cream coloured with red piping and a little decal on the front. So...I'm afraid of completely wrecking it.

I'll try the vinegar first, then go get some goo gone from my mom and give that a go. Then try the others. Thanks all! Anymore ideas?

PA, what do you suggest with the vinegar? Soak or spray and wash?

:winkiss: Katie, How in the WORLD does one get a "blood and milk" stain?
Are we mixing some really strange cocktails here? Yuck!
As ever,
Buck

Alix, I fear the evil laundry witch has hit my house too. I'm so glad you posted this, as I see two things I haven't tried. Early this week, we had 8 pr. shorts all spotted with something, which went through the washer and dryer. (Still haven't found the culprit!) After soaking them in Biz for 2 hours, and re washing, the stains are still there. Ditto with some spray and wash and stain stick.
I'm going to try the goo gone (as I have some) and if that doesn't work, it'll be stain devils for me.

Alix, SO uses something called ZOUT to get the food stains out of my clothes and there are a lot of them as I usually forget to wear an apron. It's a pretreatment liquid. For tuff stains she has to treatr and wash the item twice but it works.

Alix, I don't know if you can find it in your neck of the woods, but I use "Soilove" Laundry soil-stain remover (for all colorfast washable fabrics). It comes in a lime green plastic bottle. Believe it or not, I found it in a 99 cent store, per a friend's recommendation. (She bought 10 at a time. That must be one dirty family, lol.) I use it sparingly, because I don't know if I'll ever find it again. Note says: Injurious to skin and eyes. Doesn't always work on everything, but better than anything I've tried.

If all else fails...

Last edited:
mish...LMAO! Thanks for the cover up! OK, I currently have it soaking the the dishwasher detergent solution. I will update tomorrow.

Alix said:
mish...LMAO! Thanks for the cover up! OK, I currently have it soaking the the dishwasher detergent solution. I will update tomorrow.

:LOL: Note: For Life's big screw-ups. I may give the giant size - Industrial Strength - out as Holiday gifts to a few select people. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom