ISO natural cat repellent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since then, I've read most of his books, including one that was dedicated to my neighbor. I also liked his column in Texas Monthly. Is he back again? He quit when he was running for governor of Texas. But I'm really impressed with his work for the Utopia Animal Shelter. He's definitely an animal lover (mice notwithstanding). And Suzi, stuff like that doesn't happen to me very much, either. That happened about 15 years ago.

Cats are attracted to anything you are proud of and want to keep looking nice!

:)Barbara
:LOL: Ain't that the truth!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But seriously I need to find a way of keeping them from destroying my new sofa it is the worst feeling in the world when you wake up in the morning and find the cats had a scratch fest on your expensive sofa.

rub peppermint on it??;)
LOL

JP, try putting a scratching post near the couch. That's supposed to help. Of course if the cat is at one end and the scratching post is at the other end, he's probably not going to walk to the other end, so you might need two!

Thanks for all the great advice and tips everyone! I do have a large dog, however we dont let him run loose in the yard (which is not fenced) for fear he will chase the cats and get hit by a car. The cat poop and urine, as someone else mentioned got particularly potent when it rained, leached into our basement and it smelled bad:mad: and I am allergic to cats. Anyway, I'll give some of your ideas a try, though I would shy away from cayenne pepper since my dog and even the cats may get that into their eyes and nose, though I like the idea of a squirt gun :LOL: maybe with just water. Moth balls, I read the back of the container at the store, and it can be somewhat toxic to humans and animals. Thank you once again for your help, I'll try out some of your remedies.

A few other suggestions from the cat chapter......cats are afraid of snakes, put an old garden hose in your yard.

Sorry, I really have to dispel this one after having chased my cat chasing the 1.5 metre dugite (poisonous snake) through my garden a few weeks ago. Several of them took great interest in the snake that tried to get into through my lounge room window a couple of weeks ago too. And they pounce on the hose!!

Add some citrus oil or a bit of tabasco to the water gun. Meant to be effective.

Cats don't like the sound or feel of aluminium foil I am told and it was suggested to me that you place loose sheets of foil on the arms of your chair/sofa with a blanket/towl over it so that when they go to scratch, they dislike the sensation. Double sided tape is also meant to work. The big but here is that you can't just do something like this on its own. You need to provide them with an alternative at the same time. Also when they go to the sofa, spray the air with orange oil and clap your hands very loudly. Anything that they don't like to associate the sofa with bad memories.

I have to say that as cats don't generally like to eat where they defecate, I found the best way to stop the "littering" was to feed them!!!! (Although, I fed the strays and as a consequence, they don't scratch here.) All the cats come for a "drive thru" visit, and then use other people's garden's on their way "home". Seldom get cat fights here either. They know the rules of my house. My cats even ignore most of them now too.

Good luck to you both!!!

Last edited:
Sorry, I really have to dispel this one after having chased my cat chasing the 1.5 metre dugite (poisonous snake) through my garden a few weeks ago. Several of them took great interest in the snake that tried to get into through my lounge room window a couple of weeks ago too. And they pounce on the hose!!
I agree--I haven't ever seen a snake in our yard, but I do know our cats aren't afraid of the hose (unless I'm squirting them with it!). They do like to go after anything that moves though, so I would imagine a snake would fascinate them.

Another thing that might work is to dig up a small patch just for the cats (maybe add some sand to it). Put it near the edge of your property so it's not too close to your house. A lot of people do this when they want to keep cats out of their gardens. Cats like to bury their messes, and they prefer soft soil or sand since it is easy on their paws.

Cats don't like the sound or feel of aluminium foil I am told and it was suggested to me that you place loose sheets of foil on the arms of your chair/sofa with a blanket/towl over it so that when they go to scratch, they dislike the sensation. Double sided tape is also meant to work. The big but here is that you can't just do something like this on its own. You need to provide them with an alternative at the same time. Also when they go to the sofa, spray the air with orange oil and clap your hands very loudly. Anything that they don't like to associate the sofa with bad memories.
This is true, Penny. When I worked at a vet clinic, we often told owners who were at their wits end (usually when cats had taken to spraying the couch) to buy some rolls of heavy duty aluminum foil and a lot of the really small mouse traps - the smallest size available. Cover the sofa in aluminum foil and then set all of the traps and place them all over the couch. Then put a midweight blanket over the couch. It's best if you keep the offending cats in another room while you set this up. When the cat jumps on the couch, the foil will crinkle and make a noise and the traps will go off. The blanket and small size traps ensure the cat can't be hurt. Most cats will avoid the sofa like the plague after one trap setting but some more stubborn ones will need a couple of times to convince them.

I always heard that putting those realistic looking rubber snakes in your yard and hanging them in trees would keep birds away but I never heard it for cats. The cats around here are definitely not afraid of the "snakes" or the hose. But if you move the snakes around periodically, it will keep the birds to a minimum around your patio, etc.

I've had a few cats and none of them have ever shredded furniture. Mine have always seemed to prefer rugs. One of my cats now loves the door mat. For a cat I had a long time ago I put a strip of carpet on the wall, 6 ft by 2 ft, it loved to scratch and climb on it. I used a flash light beam for it to chase up it to get her to use it. I plan on getting some leather couches soon..gawd I hope they don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom