It’s a combination of sad, frustrating and hopeful.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
:chef: I’m here for the food. (to paraphrase Alton Brown)

I love to eat and I love to cook. The flavors, textures, aromas and images of different kinds of foods are a treasure to me. This is why I cannot answer the, “What’s your favorite…” questions that others post. Choosing one excludes all the others.

Biting into a freshly made pulled pork sandwich. Savoring the aromas of a Thanksgiving dinner. The rapture of rich, creamy vanilla bean ice cream melting on your tongue. Savoring a glass of wine that compliments the food you’re eating. These and other pleasures are very important to me. I could go on, the list is long, but you understand.

Now to the sad/frustrating part.

As many of you know, I care for my grandson. Ten hours a day, five days a week. During that time, I feed the guy. If you can call it that! I mix powder with water and he gets the resulting mixture through a silicone nipple. YUCK! Before that he got the real thing from his mom. His entire eating experience to date consists of milk or fortified milk. Have you tasted that powdered stuff?! Is there anyone out there who wants that to be the only eating experience you’ve ever known? Not a chance!

The good news

Yeah, I know, pretty soon he’ll start eating semi-solid and solid foods. Eventually, he’ll be eating everything. I can’t wait!

I’ve already started letting him smell herbs and spices to get some flavors into his brain. I’m hoping to develop in him, a liking for a wide range of flavors and a willingness to try new stuff. It will have to be me who does it. His mom thinks the stove is a decoration and his dad dislikes so many different foods that are basic to good cooking that he won’t help much.

It starts with rice cereal and Cheerios on the high chair and from there, the whole world awaits. His first ice cream, pizza, sushi, egg roll, BBQ, fried chicken, pot roast, pad Thai, shish kebab, hot dog, ribs…

…and late, we get to cook together. Are you hungry? Here are some ingredients. Make something.

If I fail, he’ll grow up believing Oodles of Noodles soup is a treat.

If I am successful, you can save a space on Discuss Cooking for a new foodie in a few years.

It can’t start soon enough for me.

You're a good grandpa, Andy. I'm sorry the little guy isn't still nourished by mommy. I was lucky to "provide" for all of my children for a year for almost all of them.

When they were introduced to "real" food, I made/processed the same foods their father and I ate, but with milder seasonings, obviously. Never had commercial baby food. My blender was pressed into service constantly.

They ate a wide variety of foods. As a result, I hope that's the reason, they all eat almost anything that is put in front of them. They're big people now. The oldest will be 37 this year. The youngest 34.

She was at home for 12 weeks with the little one but had to give it up to get back to work. Sadly the economic realities intervene.

Sorry to hear that. Somehow, I was able to accommodate. Pump, freeze, etc. so my young 'uns didn't have do eat supplements. That was "back in the day." I would imagine there have been improvements in techniques.

You are in for an exciting time, Andy M. I can't wait for grandkids. I keep telling my son and his wife to get busy, that I am not getting any younger.

Silly boy says, "Mom, we really think we should wait til one of us has a REAL job."

Kids. What can you do with them?

Take heart Andy,
The little guy, is getting what he needs in his formula as awful as it smells and and looks, the best part for him though is having his "Pa" (you) holding and loving him as he dines..:) With my grandkids, I have two who dig right in to anything I offer, and 1 how has ealized that in his competition with his cousin Olivia, he has taken to eating what I offer just to keep her from getting it:LOL: The oldest, is one of those kids who eats to live, could care less is fussy fussy..He's coming around now though. I just had to lean on his dad about going YUK at things so the kid didn't do that to.
Your little guy is going to love Pa Andy's cooking. I know we are told to wait til a certain age to feed them, but, with my kids and the grand kids, they started rice cereal and bananas at a few weeks old. It was that or they would scream for hours. Being big babies at birth, their doc said feed um and I did...With the grand kids we just started them off and Now it's a pleasure on sundays to have them here. Ethan and Olivia, will run to their chairs and climb up to eat, not stopping til plate is clean..The other two are gaining ground..Wait til your little guy's eyes light up when you tell him your making a favorite of his,wait til he begs to help you Pa:) Let me tell you your heart will swell and almost jump from your chest..
These pleasures are now waiting for you..

kadesma

Before he even gets to the real food, your little grandson has the greates gift of all, a loving, generous spirited and adventurous Grand Father. The time will just fly by and you and he will be cooking together and loving every last bit of it. I'm sure you don't need any help at all but if you do, take a look at Annabel Karmel's recipes which go from new baby through toddler to young child etc. They are really tasty. Our daughter used them a great deal; Not just for her daughter either!:)

Annabel Karmel

I`m Soooo with ya there, my daughter was back home from brand new, a week and a half old and had a lick of some tomato/chili sauce (very very mild) off my finger and loved it :)

now she`ll eat chili and thai curry, fajitas, roast beef or pork... anything that I cook basicly and loves it, other than Chocolate, you just Try and give her "Junk" and she doesn`t like it :)
and other than white flour tortilla wraps and bagels, she`s never even tried White bread.

she isn`t even 2 years old yet! :D

Andy.M, if I can do it, I`m more than sure YOU can! :)

Your grandson is lucky to have you Andy. Pumping and freezing would be the ideal. The formula will suffice and it has all the baby needs to grow strong and healthy. You are a wonderful grandpa!

Andy - you definitely are in for a treat! My son was eating oysters at 2, artichokes about then too. You name it, he had it before he was 4. Chicken liver was the best "steak" he had ever had right next to that other steak (lamb). The other night he came home about midnight and got out some snacks - I heard him say "I love my Mom, I love my Mom" - his snack was whole wheat grilled baguette, goat cheese, pesto, and sundried tomatoes. He LOVES flavor and is up to try anything, which makes things pleasant for me - because I don't cook "picky" very well.

My best advice for you right now Andy is save your pennies - for some reason good, fresh food costs a bundle!!!!!!! :LOL: He is sooooooooo lucky to have you - and you him, for sure!!!!!! It brings a huge smile to my face.

My favorite picture GB posted is of Rachel gnawing on a rib in her highchair!!!!!!! :LOL:

Andy, you'll have a blast! We actually skipped the whole rice cereal thing and just went right to pureed bananas, pears, sweet potatoes and avocados (all pureed) as the first solids. I wanted Sof to experience things with flavor!:) She is still a good eater but a little tentative with textures and strong flavors. Apparently a lot of kids go through this between 1 and 2--just a bit of a set back, I guess (I just keep showing her all that yummy stuff over and over knowing eventually she'll eat it!). Steven is awfully lucky to have you caring for him!:)

Here is a great site with a lot of information and ideas on first foods. I've used it a lot! I just gave you the link to the main page but there's a lot more detail, too, if you'd want it.

Last edited:
You guys are all great!

Thanks so much for all the great comments and information. I'm looking forward to his moving on to solid foods.

Of course, I'm looking forward making him a real Red Sox and Patriots fan.

Back
Top Bottom