I've been invited to a Bug Banquet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you or wouldn't you attend a gourmet dinner where insects were being served?

• YES! Creepy and crawly doesn't bug me one bit.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • NO WAY! Please pass the Raid.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • MAYBE, provided I don't actually see any legs or wings on the plate.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
SO and I have watched a lot of Zimmern's Bizarre Foods TV shows in all their various forms. Bugs are the most difficult for me. Deep fried bugs would probably go down easier than squishy caterpillars and such.

I am a very open-minded eater, but I just don't think I could get an insect down. I know it is a mental thing, and I might actually like the taste, but I just don't think I could swallow a cricket or grasshopper.

Psycho-poodle loves bugs. His favorites are crickets and June-bugs. I get a little queazy just seeing him eat one.

CD

As I have said before. I do not eat insects, rodents, or reptiles.

Fried alligator tail really does taste like chicken. They bread it and fry it in chunks that taste a lot like chicken tenders.

I'm okay with calf-fries, too. I don't ever order them, but if they happen to be on the table, and I have an opportunity to gross out a friend, I'll eat them. :D

When I lived in Port Arthur, we called Nutria (giant rats) "target practice." They were not only not protected by any laws, it was encouraged to shoot them, because of their invasive and destructive nature. Some people cook them and eat them. I've never tried any, but I would probably taste a piece, if I had enough liquor in me.

CD

Last edited:
Cd, you may have my share of gator and calf fries.

We had the nastiest cocker when I was growing up. He always caught his flies though. Snapped them up in mid air. A joy to watch. Beagle is useless when it comes to insects, though she's a great mole hunter.

Head to the basement!

Last edited:
Fried alligator tail really does taste like chicken. They bread it and fry it in chunks that taste a lot like chicken tenders.

I'm okay with calf-fries, too. I don't ever order them, but if they happen to be on the table, and I have an opportunity to gross out a friend, I'll eat them. :D

When I lived in Port Arthur, we called Nutria (giant rats) "target practice." They were not only not protected by any laws, it was encouraged to shoot them, because of their invasive and destructive nature. Some people cook them and eat them. I've never tried any, but I would probably taste a piece, if I had enough liquor in me.

CD
I've eaten all those things. I've even had nutria in gumbo. There are very few foods I won't eat, or at least try. :yum:

Skedaddle Scooby and be safe.

That last post of mine was WAY off topic, but it was where I happened to be at the time the sirens started.

BTW, no tornado, just some major league hail. Looks like the doghouse will be getting a new roof. The guy across the street has two nice cars, and only room for one in the garage, so he was out trying to cover the second one up. I went out and told him to park in my garage, with my car. Good thing. Golfball sized hail does dent cars. So, I did my good dead for 2017. :D

CD

Golf-ball sized hail, dog house roof, and dented cars are no joke. Scary stuff.

I still vote that Steve goes to his bug feast, and takes lots of pics so the rest of us can enjoy it vicariously. Or not. We need a prior warning.

Last edited:
Golf-ball sized hail, dog house roof, and dented cars are no joke. Scary stuff.

I still vote that Steve goes to his bug feast, and takes lots of pics so the rest of us can enjoy it vicariously. Or not. We need a prior warning.

It's just part of springtime in North Texas. More to be posted in the "weather" thread, where it belongs. Sorry.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom