I've made a huge decision...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As most of you probably know, I am 21 years old, and went to cosmetology school when I was 19 to be a hairdresser. I did it for about a year when I decided to try something different. (I still love doing hair, and probably have 1-2 appointments a week) But in a small po-dunk town, it can take quite a few years to build up any kind of a clientel. So I decided to go to a nursing home. This nursing home offered FREE CNA classes, while you worked there. I got my CNA lisence, and realized that this was where God wants me to be. Being a Nurses Assistant isn't the most glamorous job (understatement!) But it is so wonderful to me...
Anyways. My husband and I have kicked around this idea for a while, but have pretty much come to a decision over the past couple of weeks.

I'm gunna try to go to nursing school, to be a Registered Nurse...:wacko:

I have no college background, so I will be starting from scratch. There's a college in a city about 30 miles from where we live, that I will probably start at next August. They only have an LPN program, So I will probably just go there for my 2 years to get my basics, then transfer to another college. We havn't looked too deep into any of this, but i've decided that I want to try this.

I'm scared i'm going to fail though. Nursing school is VERY expensive, and it's what i'm going to be doing for the REST of my life. I was not a straight A student in High School.. I think my GPA my senior year was 2.8. I pretty much had a "C" in every class. BUT.... I was a cheerleader all 4 years, I attended every football game, I had tons of friends, a few steady boyfriends.... needless to say my priorities were elsewhere.. Now that i'm older, and married, and actually have a 'goal'... I think I will do better. My husband told me that if I want to, I can quit my job at the nursing home, and just have school be my "full time job". I havn't decided yet if i'm going to do this. I'll probably wait and see how I do still working part time.

The reason we're waiting until August for me to start, is because (if everything goes as planned...) We should have all of our debt paid off (except for the house) by the time I start school. I'd feel alot better about taking out that student loan, if we were debt free..

Anyways, i'll keep you guys posted on how things are going once I start school.

Wish me luck...:ermm:

The girl that used to work for me was a cheerleader (football and wrestling), had two part time jobs, lots of boyfriends, a crappy family life, took college courses throughout high school and was on the honor roll..... It's all about applying yourself. It sounds like you are ready to do that.

Good luck with your new endeavor :)
You should always like what you are doing, and nursing sounds like a fit.

Way to go! I'm cheering for you! By the way here in Portland Oregon St. Vincent's Hospital gives scholarships to nursing students who agree to work in our hospital for a certain number of years after they graduate. We're a magnet hospital and a wonderful place to be (I volunteer there so as you can imagine I am not prejudiced in any way...lol). Check it out on the web - Providence Hospitals.

Best of luck in your studies!

Big Decision

When I was about 20 I decided to become an nursing assistant. Well I paid attention to what was going on around me and I thirsted for all the knowledge I could get. So being married with a husband and 2 young boys we dicided that I should go to nursing school. It certainly was a struggle but I made it, and you can to. After all I was 30 years old. Don't even THINK you could fail because the only way you could fail is if you do not try at all.

My mom was a house wife until the age of 40. Then when we were all grown up, she went to college to become an RN. Was an intensive care nurse for 20 + years and just recently retired. If it feels right, do it. The good thing about nursing, is that there are plenty of good jobs out there.

I wish you all the luck.

You don't need any college background to be a nurse. I have several friends who are nurses, and one didn't go to nursing school until she was in her 30's. She was able to find a good job as an LPN, and is staying where she's at for the present, because now she's putting her daughter through nursing school.

Another one was a nurse in some little Inuit village in the boonies of Alaska, until she married, and yet another who used to do a stint at Bethesda Naval Hospital every year, and was a volunteer nurse at the Atlanta Olympics.

It's a wonderful profession, and nurses are always needed, so I think you've made a wise choice.
It does take a special kind of person to be a nurse, but since you've worked in a nursing home, I'm sure you can handle it.

It may seem hard at times, but stick with it! I wish you the best of luck!

Thats wonderful that you are going for a dream! The world will always need nurses and you will always be someone special to someone because they know you are there to help them!
When I was in the hospital having my daughter, I was so touched by the kindness and tenderness of the nurses that took care of me (I had an emergency c-section), I will never forget how they made a scary situation for me, feel warm and secure (esp. since I had no family there other than my fiance). I will always be gratefull to those nurses!:)
Good luck, and hope it works out for you!

I come from a big military family, and there were always two things a woman could do to follow her man; teaching and nursing. You cannot go wrong with nursing. If you work your butt off and get your ... I honestly don't know the right words here, but get your basic nursing degree, then in the future you can add to that. Nurse-practitioner. Nurse-Midwife. This is the way to go, and the way of the future. Go for it. My thoughts are with you, and please, keep us all up to date. If you can't count on some, some days, you can always come here and we'll tell you BRAVA!!!

That is so great! I know you are going to do well. I do not believe you will fail, so stop worrying about that! You will have lots of prayers and support from your DC family (I know you have mine). A lot of it will be very difficult, but it will be worth it in the end.

As far as no college background--you're very young! I quit college to get married when I was 20 (the marriage didn't last much longer than that round of college), then I went back to get my B.A. and my teaching certificate when I was 31 (got my B.A. at age 34 and my teaching certificate at 35).

If the area where you live is anything like it is here, nursing is the field to get into. There are tons of nursing jobs available around here, and I have a feeling, from what I have heard, it is that way all over the country.

I am so proud of you!

:)Barbara

Forget about your high school GPA. You were having fun and not taking life seriously as a teenager. I graduated HS with a 2.0, yet when I decided to go to engineering school (and pay for it out of my pocket), I averaged 3.5-4.0 because I was following my dream and taking it very seriously. You'll be just fine, especially with DH behind you, and you know we're all here to provide support.

JoeV

BC- Check into your local labor division. There is a shortage of nurses, in our area if you meet certian criteria, the state pays for you to get your nurses lisence. It can't hurt to check into it.

my sister did the same. a total 360 after college and stuff.

worked as a nurses aide while going to nursing school. did her thing got her cert and ok she moved from hospital to hospital and unit to unit and what not but she has always been like that

Don't be afraid of failing. No one is guaranteed a succesful career. Do the best you can and enjoy doing it. You can be whatever you want to be, you just have to go for it and give it your best. And if you fail, you do something else. Life is full of choices. You have to make the one that best suits you. I wish you all the good luck in the world. We need nurses desperately and you sound like a winner to me. Who knows, someday you may be taking care of me. :LOL:

Congrats on a great decision!

I'm actually going to start school again next fall to get my RN as well. One thing I would suggest, though, would be to search around for a college that offers a 2-year RN program. They're a lot more scarce now than they used to be, but I found one and it's perfect for me. I already have a BS- so I figured I didn't really need a 2nd one, just a 2-year program that qualifies you to take the RN exam. It sounds like you dont have a BS already, so it might be worth it to look into BSN programs.

It looks like there have been some great suggestions on how to get your school paid for. It may just not be possible for where you live, but I would suggest getting into an RN program rather than an LPN program if at all possible. The job outlook for RN is so much better, not to mention the huge bump you'll get in starting salary.

As most of you probably know, I am 21 years old, and went to cosmetology school when I was 19 to be a hairdresser. I did it for about a year when I decided to try something different. (I still love doing hair, and probably have 1-2 appointments a week) But in a small po-dunk town, it can take quite a few years to build up any kind of a clientel. So I decided to go to a nursing home. This nursing home offered FREE CNA classes, while you worked there. I got my CNA lisence, and realized that this was where God wants me to be. Being a Nurses Assistant isn't the most glamorous job (understatement!) But it is so wonderful to me...
Anyways. My husband and I have kicked around this idea for a while, but have pretty much come to a decision over the past couple of weeks.

I'm gunna try to go to nursing school, to be a Registered Nurse...:wacko:

I have no college background, so I will be starting from scratch. There's a college in a city about 30 miles from where we live, that I will probably start at next August. They only have an LPN program, So I will probably just go there for my 2 years to get my basics, then transfer to another college. We havn't looked too deep into any of this, but i've decided that I want to try this.

I'm scared i'm going to fail though. Nursing school is VERY expensive, and it's what i'm going to be doing for the REST of my life. I was not a straight A student in High School.. I think my GPA my senior year was 2.8. I pretty much had a "C" in every class. BUT.... I was a cheerleader all 4 years, I attended every football game, I had tons of friends, a few steady boyfriends.... needless to say my priorities were elsewhere.. Now that i'm older, and married, and actually have a 'goal'... I think I will do better. My husband told me that if I want to, I can quit my job at the nursing home, and just have school be my "full time job". I havn't decided yet if i'm going to do this. I'll probably wait and see how I do still working part time.

The reason we're waiting until August for me to start, is because (if everything goes as planned...) We should have all of our debt paid off (except for the house) by the time I start school. I'd feel alot better about taking out that student loan, if we were debt free..

Anyways, i'll keep you guys posted on how things are going once I start school.

Wish me luck...:ermm:

GO FOR IT GIRLFRIEND!!!

My niece, 35, just got her RN license this year!! She went for 4 years of school and is absolutely LOVING it!! She is in L&D at Parkland in Dallas. She has said that she would do it all over again because it has been worth every tear and all the sweat!!:LOL: I am so proud of her, you have no idea!! She went through it all durning chemo and radiation too. She said that once you get going, the hard work makes you want to work harder and it actually relieves you of everyday stress because you can dive into the books, lol
I wish you all the luck in the world girl!! You can do. You think you love CNA, just wait and see what LVN and then RN does for you!!

BTW, as for failing, it won't happen!! If you go under a grade they want, you have the chance to redo it.

Spirit

Sounds so great to be making decision that your husband is willing to support you in. congratulations on your enthusiasm and for picking the right man!

One girl who was living in our neighborhood and who was brother's childhood sweetheart, had such high hopes of being a nurse. Many years later we found out she was in charge of whole hospital. Today, she is in Peace Corp with her husband. Never know where one path will lead. I am hoping and wishing both of you the best. Must be wonderful girl to decide to want to become nurse.

Good for you! I know you'll be great at it, you've said lots of times how much you love it.
Congrats!!!

I never went to college.... I was "too busy".... but really I didn't know what I wanted to do. It would've been a collossal waste of money. I thought I wanted to be a pre-school teacher, took a few classes, but life interrupted.
I didn't know what I really wanted to do until a few years ago, I want to cook. So, for now I will "pretend" to cook at the bagel store, and when the kids are old enough I will decide if that's enough for me.

DH wants to open a BBQ joint like he saw on DD&D..... first we need a smoker.....
;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom