Japanese Beetle Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Just after my neighbor complemented me on my big pot of basil on the porch yesterday, I noticed that it's suddenly been attacked by Japanese Beatles. In fact, several plants around our back yard are now showing damage by them! :(

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of the beatles/prevent the plant damage by using something other than that Bag-A-Bug contraption? I hate the thought of loosing all of my plants this early in the year!!!

PA, my grandma & parents alwayse used 7-Dust on their gardens for Japanese beatles. Other than that, I don't know what else to do for them. I'm sorry you're having such a problem with them, I know they can be a pain!

between those beetles and june bugs i could just scream sometimes, pa. i'm from near pgh. and they (the pseudo-ladybugs) are rampant around here come late summer. the only solutions we've found are to vacuum them up w/ the shop-vac and to keep a flyswatter or a rolled-up newpaper around at all times. i don't think there's much else you can do.:(

Thanks, luvs and crewsk! Luvs, my aunt lives out your way and she's to the point where she just pickes them off her plants and squishes them between her fingers! :wacko: I'm off to the garden supply store now to see if they have anything we can put down that won't make the herbs and veggies unsafe to eat.

We use Japanese beetle traps in the garden. It has a stand you stick into the ground and attach a plastic bag with bait at the top. The beetles are attracted to the bait, eat it, and die. They drop into the bag. At the end of the season, you toss the bag full of beetles and save the stand for next year.

While we're on the subject....
My peppermint and spearmint got holes almost overnight. I'm thinking it's the cabbage moths we have. I can't find any evidence underneath the leaves of any larvae, but can't imagine what else has been eating at my patio buffet!
Any suggestions on that one?

(Good luck with those beatles, PA!)

Well, I had no luck at my local garden store. They were out of everything but the most toxic stuff (which I refuse to use, especially right now!) and there was no one around to ask for help :angry: ! So please keep those ideas coming!

jkath said:
While we're on the subject....
My peppermint and spearmint got holes almost overnight...

...and that's what you get for eating my basil! (and I get minty fresh breath)

Try this link, PA - there's lots of suggestions

http://www.gardensalive.com/article_mcgrath.asp?ai=1&bhcd2=1121195126

This one was quite interesting:
Make beetle-repelling “bug juice” with your catch! Whiz a handful of the sucked-up beasts in an old garage-sale blender with a pint of water (this alone should make you feel much better!), strain the resulting slurry and spray it on your plants. Old time farmers swear that pests won’t go near plants that have been sprayed with the remains of their relatives.

That's great, jkath, thanks!

I think I'll start with a three-prong attack! Tonight I'll move my basil closer to the bird house. I'll then try the soapy water trick tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a hot pepper and make the garlic-pepper brew (there's just something about putting beetles in my blender that turns me off!:huh: ).

You should be able to find sevin dust at Walmart, Home Depot etc.

PA Baker said:
Just after my neighbor complemented me on my big pot of basil on the porch yesterday, I noticed that it's suddenly been attacked by Japanese Beatles. In fact, several plants around our back yard are now showing damage by them! :(

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of the beatles/prevent the plant damage by using something other than that Bag-A-Bug contraption? I hate the thought of loosing all of my plants this early in the year!!!
I know just how you feel pa..We live in the country and the land next door is used to grow silage, or corn for cattle feed.Lovely til it gets silks then my yard goes hurting because of the catapillers that invade everything!! I could just bay at the moon somethimes. My yard is large and I feel like I'm chasing myself trying to pick catapillars off fruit,veggies, trees, flowers..Yeesh..Once they cut and bale it will be over thank goodness, but there is still many days left before they do that...Hope you find something to keep the bugs away...Seven should do it and it's safe within reason..Just follow the directions.
kadesma:)

Thanks, icy! Since I posted this yesterday, I haven't had any more on my basil. Maybe they heard about everyone's advice and got scared!:LOL: At least I'll be prepared if they return!

But last night when I was watering my tomatoes, I found seven of my least favorite summer pest--tomato horn worms! Here's a picture of them if you're curious http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Pests/tomato.htm
They are fascinating in how they camouflage themselves but oh-so-ugly too! They strip the leaves clear off the branches. I got DH out to pick them off for me! He's good for something!

I have seen those before on plants in Florida. As a child I was scared to death of them because my brother told me that they would stick their horn in you and cut your hand up. I had nightmares about the stupid little things.

IcyMist said:
I have seen those before on plants in Florida. As a child I was scared to death of them because my brother told me that they would stick their horn in you and cut your hand up. I had nightmares about the stupid little things.

LOL, icy, I'm still scared of them! DH was in charge of pulling them off the plants and dropping them into a bucket of water to drown. I supervised from a safe distance! :LOL:

When I was little, I had a naughty cousin who lived next door who squished them with her shoes! :sick: My mother got so mad, since they made such a mess on the cement!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom