Japanese interpretation of American habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BAHAHAHA!

Having been born and raised in Hawaii, the Gateway to the "Far East"; not too mention the majority of the population are of Japanese descent... to me these remarks are familiar.

The Japanese way of life is ingrained in Hawaii,
as well as Chinese, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Thai, Micronesian, Guamanian, Korean, Maori, Malaysian, Laotian, Indonesian, Tahitian, Samoan, Fijian ...
And yet we all get along ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2YLvGGtwY

Neato, Kay. I think the perceptions are probably fairly accurate. Mental Floss translates them from the original language. I'll have to see if they have articles on how Mexicans see us (though I have a pretty good idea).

Last edited:
Interesting! I love to read about different cultures too, and how they view us here in the US. Thanks, ladies! Mental floss is a fun site - I read it on FB and it's easy to get lost there. :ermm::LOL:

Loved that Kgirl!

Dawg, I also enjoyed this..4 Russian Travel Tips for Visiting America | Mental Floss
especially #4.
Our last big trip was to Russia and I was struck by how nobody smiles! It was a sobering experience to say the least.

I read about that once. It seems Russians only really smile at their close friends. They think if you smile at everything you really don't mean it and they consider you to be superficial. It's just a cultural thing.

I read about that once. It seems Russians only really smile at their close friends. They think if you smile at everything you really don't mean it and they consider you to be superficial. It's just a cultural thing.

After traveling there RT, I think it's more than that. My favorite thing to do in another country is people watching. Imo, Russians don't understand that every American is ingrained with the rights we hold dear, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". It really comes down to we have good reasons to smile.

However, it would be wrong to believe that the Americans with their smiles only create the illusion of well-being and that their smiles are stretched with false joy. This is not so. Americans: they are a nation that truly feels happy. These people get used to smiling from the cradle onwards, so they do not pretend to be cheerful. The desire for a successful happy life is inculcated from childhood.” (Этикет США)

Last edited:
What a cute song, K-girl!

...it's on point, in Hawaii we grumble about folks, but we just seem to get along in the end ...

LOL....I found it amusing too. And yes, there's some valid points there, but rather dated, seems like it was written some decades ago....

yes roadfix, this song was recorded back in the mid 70's
the Beamer Brother's are influential in Hawaii's music scene
Their Mother Winona Beamer was my teacher for most of my years at school, LOVED her!

...it's on point, in Hawaii we grumble about folks, but we just seem to get along in the end ...

yes roadfix, this song was recorded back in the mid 70's
the Beamer Brother's are influential in Hawaii's music scene
Their Mother Winona Beamer was my teacher for most of my years at school, LOVED her!

Every person should have a teacher that they never forget. Those are the teachers that leave their mark on the world and the citizens of our future. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom