June 14th Flag Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I am wondering how many of us know how to fly our flag properly. When my husband joined the VFW I joined the Women's Auxiliary and was assigned to teaching members about our flag. I was surprised to find that the majority of the women members had never give it a thought.

As a child in grammar school we went outside (weather permitting) to the small patch of grass and where the flag pole stood with our flag flying proudly. Each year we were taught the rules for flying the flag.

The flag must be lowered each day at sundown.
The flag can only be flown at night only if there is a spotlight shining on it.
The flag must never be flown during inclement weather.
A civilian should always place their hand over their heart when a flag goes by in a parade or on a coffin of a person who served in the military service.
There are five places where the flag is flown continuously. Which includes Fort McHenry and the Arlington National Cemetery.

So if you Google your American Flag, you will find so much more information about it.

And if you should have a flag of your own today, please get it out and fly it with pride. If it is torn, do not fly it. Return it to any fire station or organization that serves our retired military. They will dispose of it properly.

On more than one occasion, when I see a flag that has been tattered by the weather, I make it a point to go to the person or company responsible for ownership, and try to educate them on the proper way to fly our flag.

I LOVE our flag, and it hurts me to see folks ignore it or abuse it.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom