June 9/10 weekend.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurvivorGirl

Sous Chef
What have you been up to this weekend??

Personally on yesterday I was volenteering at fun fair that a local school had all day (9:30 is waaay to early for a saturday!;)). I need 75 community service hours for school. between volenteering last saturday (at another school's fun fair) and yesterday, I'm at 14 and a 1/2 hours.
Even though I applied sunscreen 2 I got an aweful sunburn on my arms and face (all of the games that I was incharge of were in the full on sun:().
overall though...a pretty fun day!:)

Today however, I spent the entire day avoiding studying for an English exam that I have tomorrow. so I pretty much spent my time around the house snacking on watermelon, reading, watching tv and trying to cool off my sunburn from yesterday:( so It wasn't very productive.

What about you? how was your weekend?

Saturday I did laundry and worked around the house. I started sewing 4 kids' monkey neck pillows that someone I know has ordered. Today we went to church, then to the grocery store for sub sandwich fixings. We came home and ate sandwiches and pie. Most of the day since then has just been spent watching TV, working and goofing around on the computer, and playing with Cubbie (our puppy) and Mr. Frodo (cat). Oh yes, I also watered the garden. Kind of a lazy day. Back to sewing like crazy and writing tomorrow.

:) Barbara

Turkey Festival Weekend. All sorts of turkey prepared and served. Area crafters and artist. Local musicians performing. Carnival & Kid activities. Turkey Caller Contest. Community salutes it's neighbors night.

Favorite Turkey on the menu: Smoked Turkey Sandwich.

a 50/50 weekend, culinarily speaking.

went to my nephew's confrimation on saturday, in st. bernard's (of clairvaux) church. do you have any idea how hard it is NOT to make a joke about that on a long car ride with a 3 year old?

after church, we had a nice time at my (next eldest) sis' mansion :mrgreen: :bash:
it was catered, and was only so-so. the cruidte, salads, and bbq wings were good; the stuffed shells very good; but the chicken parm and sausage-n-peppers were burnt and horrible.
dessert was very good, as my eldest sis, who is a great cook, made a bunch of fruit dipped in various chocolates, and there was a cake from schnitzer's. or maybe it was a rye. ;) who cares, it was supposed to be some upper crust (forgive the pun) crap.

am i dripping yet?

then, after returning to my sharecropper's shack, we went to a "touch a truck" event at a nearby mall on sunday. it's where a few dozen contractors and civil service people park their dump trucks, excavators, fire trucks,ambulances, etc., and allow kids to climb all over them, and essentially damage their young hearing by blowing the horns for several hours. :ermm:

unfortunately, while it was $25 a family, the food ran out before we got to a food tent; only 2 hours into a 4 hour event.
we happened past the tent where you paid "to get in", and just happened to ask one of the women inn charge what happened. she got indignant, and asked if we wanted to speak to "the person in charge".
now, i think we're pretty realistic and somewhat humble people in real life, so we normally would have just gone about our day, but this one stank like a duck!
so we agreed (mostly because it was hot out, we were in a tent, and the lines were long for everything), and of course, after 20 minutes or so no one showed up, and we kept getting crocodiles' tears and apologies.

i wonder who in paramus got paid off for this one? heck, a grammar school in town just got shut down for soil contamination months after the town officials new about it.

so, you root for tony soprano, and michael corleone, and so on.
i hope they come to your town.

anyway, we were hungry so we went into one of the mall restaurants, called "papparazzi's". the staff was nice, and the food from the brunch menu was ok. we had mimosas, iced tea, and filet mignon on english muffins, topped with poached eggs, cold lobster, and hollandaise. sort of a beefy eggs benedict.

the eggs were pretty much soft boiled, and the steaks slightly overcooked (we wanted rare to medium rare), and it coulda used more lobster, but it was tasty, nonetheless.

ike i said, it was 50/50 all weekend.

I had an unusual weekend to say the least. Jimmy and I went to the Mystic,Conn area on Friday which was supposed to be a hot and humid day-all day.The temperature dropped like a rock halfway through the day-it was great to get away for the day anyway.Saturday I had to go to a bridal shower early in the afternoon.(to add to the food part of this forum it was at Pasta Cucina in New City, new York and it was delicious!)Sitting at the table was a woman I thought looked familiar but,I couldn't place from where. We started talking. She was my 4th grade teacher- I was living in the Bronx at the time and the school year I had her was '60-70.Tell me that wasn't a lifetime ago?She was thrilled that I remembered her from all those years ago. She was one of those teachers that you have many pleasant memories with so it was so nice to see her.Saturday night we went out to dinner with my sister and her husband to a restaurant out in Long Island,NY. La Marmite,I believe is in Williston Park.As alot of you know I lost my oldest son 8 years ago- my sister had lost her son 2 years after my son's passing. She had never talked about either of the boys until Saturday night-and then she didn't stop. It felt good that she had finally come this point.
Sunday morning we woke up to our 8 year old lab Angel in distress. We couldn't tell if it was her back or abdominal disturbance.We had been on the phone with our vet a few times and he told us to take her to Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus,NJ.We get to the Emergency Room open up the car door and she's acting like nothing was ever wrong with her (naturally) although she was obviously walking stiff legged.She got a thorough checking over and an x-ray revealing nothing more that the natural aging of her spine.We left with a perscription of tramadol and almost $400.00 lighter. This morning she woke up with the same symptoms again-we took her to our vet who did some blood work that we are waiting for the results.She is doing better this afternoon but, geez what a scare! OK I've bored you long enough!!Thanks for listening! Love and energy, Vicki

Went to a Vegan Fayre Festival down by the harbor on Saturday, drank sangria, cider and wine all day. Had a lovely falafel and dinner later was veggie risotto followed by more wine.

Sunday was spent on the sofa nursing our horrible hangovers!

Take care of that sunburn, pure aloe vera gel works wonders!!

I was in Chicago all weekend - glorious weather,terrific food and great shopping. We did a walking Chicago food planet tour on Saturday, we breezed through the Wells Street Art Festival and the festival in Andersonville which was CRAZY but alot of fun.

I had a great time but its back to work tomorrow.....sigh.

Back
Top Bottom