Just had a earthquake!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a 5.2 earthquake. My dog and I went and stood in the doorway.

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==
[size=-1]California Integrated Seismic Net
USGS/ Caltech/ CGS/ UCB/ UCSD/ UNR
[/size]

Version #2: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
This is a computer-generated message. This event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.

A moderate earthquake occurred at 11:45:57 AM (PDT) on Sunday, June 26, 2005.
The magnitude 5.2 event occurred 7 km (5 miles) NNW of Tahoe Vista, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 7 km ( 4 miles).

[size=+0]Magnitude[/size][size=+0]5.2 - local magnitude (ML)[/size][size=+0]Time[/size][size=+0]Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 11:45:57 AM (PDT)
Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 18:45:57 (UTC) [/size][size=+0]Distance from[/size][size=+0]Tahoe Vista, CA - 7 km (5 miles) NNW (348 degrees)
Kings Beach, CA - 9 km (5 miles) NNW (334 degrees)
Truckee, CA - 12 km (8 miles) ESE (107 degrees)
Reno, NV - 32 km (20 miles) SW (221 degrees)
Sacramento, CA - 147 km (92 miles) NE (55 degrees)
[/size][size=+0]Coordinates[/size][size=+0]39 deg. 18.6 min. N (39.310N), 120 deg. 4.0 min. W (120.067W)[/size][size=+0]Depth[/size][size=+0]7.1 km (4.4 miles)[/size][size=+0]Location Quality[/size][size=+0]Good[/size][size=+0]Location Quality Parameters[/size][size=+0]Nst=250, Nph=250, Dmin=4 km, Rmss=0.07 sec, Erho=0.3 km, Erzz=1.1 km, Gp=100.8 degrees [/size][size=+0]Event ID#[/size][size=+0]nc51161673[/size][size=+0]Additional Information[/size]map with fault names
Topo map centered at earthquake (This link takes you offsite).

Oh, no! Are you alright? I don't think I could deal with earthquakes...I was born and raised in Kansas - tornadoes were a common thing, but at least they are usually predicted and you have time to run to the basement or cellar. Stay safe!

Sierra, are you okay? Those things really rattle my nerves, man. I'm here in So Ca, haven't felt it yet, but, holey moley, there's been a lot of shakin goin' on. Keep us posted.

sierra, glad to hear from you. At least we know your ok..

kadesma...take care, stay safe

Here is a copy of the shake map. I live along the CA/NV border. NW of Reno, NV.

51161673_ciim.gif

Darn Sierra! You get all the fun! Didn't feel a thing here..BUT we have a bird in the fire place. Paul proped open the flue so Dove and I are shut in the front bedroom (computer room) so if the Blue Jay (Scrub Jay) comes out Dove wont be able to harm it.

Marge~Dove

Dove said:
Darn Sierra! You get all the fun! Didn't feel a thing here..BUT we have a bird in the fire place. Paul proped open the flue so Dove and I are shut in the front bedroom (computer room) so if the Blue Jay (Scrub Jay) comes out Dove wont be able to harm it.

Marge~Dove

They are kinda fun, unless the walls start falling down. :( It is a bit unnerving though!!

We once had a hawk in our patio. I felt so sorry for it. The bird kept flinging itself into the screened windows. We opened all the doors and it finally flew out.

Oh Wow!!

Sierra!! I'm so glad your ok!!! Its been on my News, And, as you see i live in Fla! Where Hurricanes and Tornandos are very common. But, i dont think i could handle an Earthquake!!. Have you gotten any after shakes yet?? Gosh I hope everyone around you is ok!! >>>>>HUGS<<<<< and prayers are with you!!

SierraCook said:
I am fine. It just scared the you know what out of me. I have been through several earthquakes, but it is something that you don't get used to.

Same here, Sierra. I try to keep in mind what a beautful part of the country we both live in, but whew, what a relief when it's over. Take a couple of deep breaths.

The USGS webpage showed a couple of small aftershocks, but I did not feel them. A large rock fell onto I-80 between Reno, NV and Truckee, CA. (Floriston, CA for those of you who know where that is) due to the earthquake.

glad you're okay sierra. did you ever see the episode of fresh prince of bel-aire when they had an earthquake and will was spazzing out saying he's from philly and the ground's not supposed to shake ? that would be me lol.

Sierra - hope your nerves are calming down a bit. I HATE earthquakes!!!!!! Stay safe, ok?!! That wasn't exactly a small magnitude!!

We've had a few in the last few weeks & another here today. Small one.

Best I can say (you probably know), stand in the threshold, away from glass. I'd dive under the dining room table, but it's glass, as are most of the things in my L.R. Last week my chandelier was swinging right over my head. This bites it man. But, what can we do. Try to white knuckle through it, I guess. Stay safe, Sierra.

Mish, after the initial shock I don't mind the small earthquakes. It is the 6.0+ that I find frightening. It is a bit nerving to find all your stuff rattling or swaying during an EQ. This morning I went to work and all the pictures on the wall in the office were askew.

Mish, I hope that you stay safe also. I guess this is what we get for living where we do. :) At least we don't have to deal with hurricanes or tornados (I lived in Kansas when I was very little and have been back to visit relatives many times and have been in my share of tornados.), which terrify me.

Back
Top Bottom