Just wanted to mention...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CasperImproved

Sous Chef
Hi Guys. Just wanted to say that anyone missing Katie E in the next couple of days need not worry.

She's got some worm/virus things on her computer, and needs to get them cleansed.

I'm sure she'll be back after a couple of days after best buy take's care of her issues.

Bob

Hi Guys. Just wanted to say that anyone missing Katie E in the next couple of days need not worry.

She's got some worm/virus things on her computer, and needs to get them cleansed.

I'm sure she'll be back after a couple of days after best buy take's care of her issues.

Bob
That's why I don't download from strange sites, download unwanted videos,unwanted jpgs, so and so on, But I hope she gets up and running in no time.

viruses don't always come from downloads. they can easily come from a well known persons email also from updates of popular software. Microsoft had a problem with someone hacking theirs a few years back and I ended up with the Welchia worm that destroyed my computer and wasn't able to be fixed.

I hope Katie is able to get it removed quickly. Thank you for letting us know, Bob.

How about you try reading what I wrote. they don't ALWAYS come from downloading things. I didn't say that don't come from downloads.

Thanks Bob,
I just talked to her and she is taking the computer to be fixed..I'll keep in touch and pass on anything I find out.
kadesma

a good program is avast

and for spyware a good one is malwarebytes.

oh and campbells soup guy, you can get virus's/spyware from mp3's and just like texasgirl said not all come from downloading things... install a sites active X and it may contain spyware...google that one:ohmy:

It's actually amazing what seemingly innocuous things can give you spyware/malware/viruses, etc. I had one to deal with yesterday in which the wily malcontent who wrote it was actually able to infect the Norton files! Yes. BAM, Avast is good. I like the fact that it is able to do a scan from boot before Windows opens. It's very nice, I must say, that I run Linux--which most malware authors do, so they don't infect themselves--and not have to worry about this!

Thanks Bob,
I just talked to her and she is taking the computer to be fixed..I'll keep in touch and pass on anything I find out.
kadesma

Hi Kadesma -

I tried to help her fix her problem, but the number of issues wasn't fixable without having her hard drive put on to a different PC to cleanse, back up her personal data, and then if necessary at that point do an initial install. She has Norton, but apparently it was doing the usual job that Norton does which is to take up valuable space, consume a ton of memory, cost money, and then not do what's needed. I won't go where that memory thread is taking me :)

But suffice to say, Katie is off-line for a little while. I'm just glad she has a call anywhere for anytime plan :)

Bob

Hi Kadesma -

I tried to help her fix her problem, but the number of issues wasn't fixable without having her hard drive put on to a different PC to cleanse, back up her personal data, and then if necessary at that point do an initial install. She has Norton, but apparently it was doing the usual job that Norton does which is to take up valuable space, consume a ton of memory, cost money, and then not do what's needed. I won't go where that memory thread is taking me :)

But suffice to say, Katie is off-line for a little while. I'm just glad she has a call anywhere for anytime plan :)

Bob
booooooooooooo i see you!!

a good program is avast

and for spyware a good one is malwarebytes.

oh and campbells soup guy, you can get virus's/spyware from mp3's and just like texasgirl said not all come from downloading things... install a sites active X and it may contain spyware...google that one:ohmy:

I've been virus free for years now, and I download/email/exchange with others in IM and other ways.

I use AVG for a virus checker (need to manually update if you use the freeware version), and I use ad-aware, and spybot.

Anyone that wants tips or help installing said software can email me or PM.

I don't mind helping.

Bob

I talked to Katie about 12:30 last night...her 'puter is going to go in today. Hopefully it's a simple thing and on the low end of their $$$ amount calculation.

I'm with CasperI - I use all the same things he does i.e., AVG, Ad-aware, and Spybot. Even my computer guru friend who's entire business IS computers uses AVG instead of paying McAfee or Norton. They run virus checks every 15 minutes or so. Us home users don't have to do it quite that often! :LOL:

I may have to PM you at some point CI - Spybot has been an issue for me.

Kitchenelf, you or any one else as part of our community, can poke me for assistance at need, and I won't mind. Just like with Katie, I'll help if possible, and I don't charge my friends.

So ask away.

Bob

Kitchenelf, you or any one else as part of our community, can poke me for assistance at need, and I won't mind. Just like with Katie, I'll help if possible, and I don't charge my friends.

So ask away.

Bob
poke poke
img_832994_0_0fe8a44b38d4adc067c6a2c317f9dd07.gif
i have an itch well several can you scratch them for me? LOL

poke poke
img_833021_0_0fe8a44b38d4adc067c6a2c317f9dd07.gif
i have an itch well several can you scratch them for me? LOL

No fish needed msmofet.. And. not, I don't even need to look up now to reread your name:)

I will help any of our community if they'd like, and not charge a penny. That's just how I roll :)

Someone mentioned Avast as a virus program. It's pretty good, but I still prefer AVG. You should also use spybot, and ad-aware.

Keep those up to date, and you'll likely have less issues than I ever had. If you have issues doing that, just ask me, and I will help at no cost. You are all my family.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom