Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire, don't let the comment about poetry keep you from enjoying Auel's books. It's just a "prayer" to the Mother of All, repeated at least once during the last book, and can be skipped easily.

Just skim that Mother of All stuff. It's repeated throughout the book. Read the first and last few verses. The final verses will become more important in the final chapters of the book, so read the final 2-3 verses at least once to get the idea.

I just wanted to say one more thing about Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, a warning: It's not for the squeamish. It's darkly funny but it's pretty squeamy too. The novelty wore off in the sequels but the squeamish continued on, which is why I'm not recommending the sequels.

Last edited:
Just to say... I HIGHLY recommend the Hunger Games trilogy. My whole family (all ages) enjoyed them and can't wait for the movie.

Does each novel in the Hunger Games trilogy have a definite conclusion? In other words, would the debut novel work as a stand alone read without feeling like it's necessary to continue on to 2 and 3 to find out the real ending?

I've been annoyed with a few series that have virtually no end other than to read the next in the series to find out what happens next. That's not so bad if the series is good and all the sequels have been published, so that you can read right through if you want to. I'm particularly annoyed with one good series I've just completed four of the novels but the final volume won't be published for a year or two.

In the case of Hunger Games I just want to be sure that the debut novel stands on its own in case I don't like it so much that I want to read the two sequels.

Does each novel in the Hunger Games trilogy have a definite conclusion? In other words, would the debut novel work as a stand alone read without feeling like it's necessary to continue on to 2 and 3 to find out the real ending? Yes and Yes

I've been annoyed with a few series that have virtually no end other than to read the next in the series to find out what happens next. That's not so bad if the series is good and all the sequels have been published, so that you can read right through if you want to. I'm particularly annoyed with one good series I've just completed four of the novels but the final volume won't be published for a year or two. What series? It can be extremely infuriating. I once read a mystery by Tami Hoag which ended on a cliff hanger that was picked up in the next book. I've boycotted her ever since.

In the case of Hunger Games I just want to be sure that the debut novel stands on its own in case I don't like it so much that I want to read the two sequels.
It does stand alone, as does the second one. The first one is the best, IMO.

Oh, okay Sharon. I'll take that as wanting to know which series I've found had annoying cliff hangers.

The series I had in mind was the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones: A Cavern of Black Ice, A Fortress of Grey Ice, A Sword from Red Ice, and Watcher of the Dead. The author stated on her website in 2008 (just after book 3 was published) that there will be five books in the series. Extrapolation tells me the finale may be published about 2013-2014. (Watcher was published in 2010. I just completed reading it last week.)

I've enjoyed this series more than many I've read, but every single volume had an indeterminate ending, not exactly cliff hangers but there were many plot lines that did not get resolved and were continued into the next volume. I just hope that Jones delivers on her commitment and I hope she doesn't decide to extend the series to 6 books!

Now a different sort of fantasy--I'd call Jones' books sword & sorcery--that I would recommend more is Kim Harrison's Hollows series: witch, demon, vampires & werewolves sub-genre. (Probably fits urban fantasy sub-genre too.) Each volume would be enjoyable as a stand alone novel, and each had a satisfying plot resolution. Anybody interested in reading this series should start with the debut novel and read in publishing date order to get maximum appreciation and enjoyment of the series concept.

It's also amusing that the author has chosen to poke fun at Hollywood and at spaghetti Western films:

Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad & The Undead
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons More
The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
A Perfect Blood
(coming 2/21/2012)

I recommend Harrison's Hollows series for anybody who enjoys this fantasy sub-genre. I like that each volume has a satisfying ending and I plan on reading her Hollows novels for as long as she keeps writing them. :)

Last edited:
Just skim that Mother of All stuff. It's repeated throughout the book. Read the first and last few verses. The final verses will become more important in the final chapters of the book, so read the final 2-3 verses at least once to get the idea.

I just wanted to say one more thing about Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, a warning: It's not for the squeamish. It's darkly funny but it's pretty squeamy too. The novelty wore off in the sequels but the squeamish continued on, which is why I'm not recommending the sequels.

I can read squeam...can't watch it, unless it's Vampires and Werewolves. Reality Squeam TV...don't want it.

Oh, okay Sharon. I'll take that as wanting to know which series I've found had annoying cliff hangers.

The series I had in mind was the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones: A Cavern of Black Ice, A Fortress of Grey Ice, A Sword from Red Ice, and Watcher of the Dead. The author stated on her website in 2008 (just after book 3 was published) that there will be five books in the series. Extrapolation tells me the finale may be published about 2013-2014. (Watcher was published in 2010. I just completed reading it last week.)

I've enjoyed this series more than many I've read, but every single volume had an indeterminate ending, not exactly cliff hangers but there were many plot lines that did not get resolved and were continued into the next volume. I just hope that Jones delivers on her commitment and I hope she doesn't decide to extend the series to 6 books!

Now a different sort of fantasy--I'd call Jones' books sword & sorcery--that I would recommend more is Kim Harrison's Hollows series: witch, demon, vampires & werewolves sub-genre. (Probably fits urban fantasy sub-genre too.) Each volume would be enjoyable as a stand alone novel, and each had a satisfying plot resolution. Anybody interested in reading this series should start with the debut novel and read in publishing date order to get maximum appreciation and enjoyment of the series concept.

It's also amusing that the author has chosen to poke fun at Hollywood and at spaghetti Western films:

Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad & The Undead
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons More
The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
A Perfect Blood
(coming 2/21/2012)

I recommend Harrison's Hollows series for anybody who enjoys this fantasy sub-genre. I like that each volume has a satisfying ending and I plan on reading her Hollows novels for as long as she keeps writing them. :)

She's really poking fun at Clint Eastwood...I'm going to have to start picking these up...I hope they are at the used book store...I have plenty of credit there.

Ah good PF. Well I'm glad I cautioned you on Darkly Dreaming Dexter. A bit of squeam there, yes.

And I encourage you to read Dead Witch Walking. Start there and if you enjoy the series debut I can assure you that you'll like all the sequels. I'll reveal that there is some degree of sexual innuendo about witch Rachel and her vampire roommate Ivy. It's more of a blood vs. sex issue, and didn't annoy me as much as the stuff in Auel's books. I just wanted to make that clear in case you find that objectionable. It's not a big plot thing but it's a plot undercurrent. The Wikipedia Hollows link I posted earlier says this about Ivy: "She is bisexual and harbors a deep longing and affection for Rachel." So there you go. It didn't bother me and I didn't have to skim it. The Internet abbreviation is appropriate: YMMV.

Yeah, maybe Eastwood. I presume he starred in all those movies? I wonder if she knows him...

I'm so excited that I'll be reading the new Hollows novel in only a very few weeks! :)

Last edited:
Sex in books doesn't bother me...I've always assumed that the characters were off having a good time at some point, even if it's not mentioned in the book. I'm a nurse, I've delivered one baby and assisted at several other births...I do understand how they got here.:rolleyes:;)

Kim Harrison has good judgement in this respect. It's not gratuitous but rather supports the concept of living with a werewolf and blood attraction, and complications of living with were.

Sex in books doesn't bother me...I've always assumed that the characters were off having a good time at some point, even if it's not mentioned in the book. I'm a nurse, I've delivered one baby and assisted at several other births...I do understand how they got here.:rolleyes:;)

I lived in Aransas Pass in Texas. The town had a 12 bed hospital. I was there with my fifth baby and a bad case of bursitis in my shoulder. I couldn't hold him because of my arm so I had to stay there for over a week until it subsided. The Mexican girls would come in, in labor and just about to deliver. They would bring the baby's clothing, and blankets. They would have the baby, rest for 30 minutes and then get up and go home with the baby. The next day they were back to work. :ermm:

Yes - thanks - and for the list of the Hollows series. To be read in that order? Just as PF said, it's great to have a new list to take to the paperback trader!

Did you read the S. King Dark Tower series? One disgruntled fan once sent him a photo of a cute little teddy bear - with a gun to its head. The caption read, in kidnapper style with letters cut from newspaper, "Publish the next Dark Tower book NOW - or the bear gets it."

Yes, as I'm sure you already discovered. My list is in order of publishing date (unless I made a mistake) and they should be read in order of publishing date. Read the series debut novel and then continue with the series if you enjoyed it.

No on the S. King. I read a few of his many years ago and for whatever reason I'm not a big fan. I enjoyed your description of the fan mail! :)

Hunger Games? I just got an email from a friend (school teacher) who said she's reading it because it is hot with her kids. Guess that's another one I need to request from my library.

I'm thrilled that you took my suggestion. I'm nervous you won't like it. I'll be waiting with baited breath* to hear your reaction once you've got into the book.

*baited breath: I've sometimes been trout fishing using cheese as bait, and when things are slow I've nibbled the cheese, thus resulting in baited breath. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom