Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still trying to get through Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. It's a good book it's just huge, and I don't get much of a chance to sit down and read anymore.

~ Raven ~

Oh all of Anne Rice's older books are great!
I read them all too. Love Lestat! Her mummy book was fantastic but I can't remember the name of it right now.
Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I love that old movie and decided to get the whole picture by reading the book.

RMS said:
Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I love that old movie and decided to get the whole picture by reading the book.

One of my all-time favorite books, RMS. I love that excellent old movie too.
Did you know that the character of Dil was base on Truman Capote as a child?

mudbug said:
Did you know that the character of Dil was base on Truman Capote as a child?

Really, mud? I just saw the movie "Capote" yesterday, and saw how close Truman and Harper Lee were.

I'll have to re-read "Mockingbird" with that new knowledge now. Thanks!

Lee

I've read The Time Traveler's Wife and loved it. Currently I'm reading The 6th Lamentation and just finished The Town That Forgot to Breathe. The latter was really weird. I read a LOT (insomnia gives you hours for it!). I understand Julia Child's nephew has compiled her memoirs, that should be interesting. Oh, in my read-aloud group, we just finished The Reluctant Tuscan, which was good as well.

I just finished A Million Nightingales by Susan Straight. It was really good if you like historical fiction. I am struggling through the Orientalist by Tom Reiss right now. I have the two latest Elizabeth Berg novels stashed away (The Year of Pleasures and We Are All Welcome Here) to take on my trip next week.
I like to read fiction, self help, historical writing and of course COOKBOOKS!

I'm currently reading 2 books. One of them is 'Polaris' by Jack McDevitt, and the other is by Mercedes Lackey, book 1 of the Mage Wind Series. I love her Valdemar Series, and Jack McDevitt is a new writer to me and I'm currently buying all his books. Polaris is getting good, and I've already read 'Moonfall' and loved it. He's a good writer, and as was mentioned on the front cover by Stephen King he's the 'logical heir to Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke'. I'm usually reading up to at least 3 books with the 3rd one usually from Anne McCaffrey's 'Pern' Series (I also like her Freedom book series), or David Eddings 'Belgariad/Mallorean', or 'The Redemption of Althalus', his books with the character of Sparhawk isn't shabby either.:)

GB
I really liked it. I didn't think it was quite as good as Angels and Demons though, but the writing stayed true to his other best selling novles. At first I was leary about getting it because I'm not a numbers and math type person, but the reading was easy enough for me to follow along. There was enough suspense to keep me from wanting to put the book down.

Where Angels and Demons and The DaVinchi code delt with religion and had you thinking on those terms, Digital Fortress delt with the government. All and all I'm glad I got the book.

phinz said:
I tend to have several going.

I just finished Marley and Me. I *loved* it. I also finished Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson. Good fun, but I didn't like the abrupt ending.

I'm currently reading Too Many Crooks Spoil The Broth by Tamar Myers, Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo, Ghost Rider by Neil Peart and Triple Zero: Star Wars Republic Commando by Karen Traviss. I have a severe weakness for Star Wars. Anything Star Wars.

I cried myself silly at the end of Marley and Me. Its a **must read** for any dog lover.

just got done reading the series by Earlene Fowler - Benni Harper mysteries. Very good light reading.... Also the elm creek quilters series by Jennifer Chiaverini.

Just started reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child w/ Alex Prud'homme.
also started "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith
Also have, but haven't started, the new Frances Mayes - "A Year in the World".

corazon90 - I put "The Time Traveler's Wife" on hold at the library. Thanks for recommending it.
Foodfiend - I've also read the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, enjoyed them.
lmw80 - Narnia - always good, have probably read them at least 20 times during and since teenage years.
Also The Hobbit - why didn't they turn that one into a movie?

I'll have to make a list of the other recommendations....I like hearing about good authors.

-k

I just this minute finished reading "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry.

OMG!! This book is Awesome!! If your into Dan Brown (or if you chose not to read the Da Vinci Code) then you must read this book. It's every bit as good and will absolutly keep you rivited to your seat from page 1.

I started this book yesterday and finished it tonight LOL! I litterally could not put it down. I carried it around the house as I walked from room to room. I don't think I even did that with Dan Browns' Angels and Demons

~ Raven ~ <-- now where's the Eagle? :mrgreen: (read the book you'll understand)

Last edited:
Raven said:
I just this minute finished reading "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry.

OMG!! This book is Awesome!! If your into Dan Brown (or if you chose not to read the Da Vinci Code) then you must read this book. It's every bit as good and will absolutly keep you rivited to your seat from page 1.

I started this book yesterday and finished it tonight LOL! I litterally could not put it down. I carried it around the house as I walked from room to room. I don't think I even did that with Dan Browns' Angels and Demons

~ Raven ~ <-- now where's the Eagle? :mrgreen: (read the book you'll understand)

Romanov Prophecy? Is that something to do with the doomed last tsar Nikolai and his family and/or some prediction made by Rasputin? An intriguing title, I am interested!

Yes! Exactly!

Russia is going to appoint a new Tsarist government and the lead character is an American lawyer assigned to check out the leading cantidate to ensure there are no skeletons rattling around his famliy closet that might discredit or disqualify him.

While digging through the archives he runs across clues that suggest that Alexi and Anastasia Romanov might have survived the massacre of their family and are possibly being hidden somewhere.

From there, the story takes off like a rocket and dosen't let up till the end. :D

~ Raven ~

Yeah, that sounds really interesting, gotta go look for it... I was always interested in Russian history. I know there have been always a mystery about what happened to Anastasia, no one seems to know what exactly happened to her. Though it is doubtful she is still alive even if she managed to escape, I am curious how this bit is treated in this story... thanks for the info, I have been missing reading a good gripping book!! (which was my main passion before I got hooked on the puter!!)

Back
Top Bottom