Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KathyJ said:
Trip-
I haven't looked at "Cooking for Dummies", that I can remember anyways, but I did pick up "Christmas Cooking for Dummies"... I'm always looking for easy holiday recipes....

corazon90-
will be picking up "The Time Traveler's Wife" this week at the library. I'll let you know how I like it.

also been reading the tea shop series by Linda Childs, "The Witness" by Dee Henderson, the garden series by Anthony Eglin.
been depressed lately, so I've been reading a lot!! :cool:

Hmmm christmas gooking for dummies... will have to try to find that one, sounds interesting... Cooking for dummies I got when I joined Dells cookbook club, for that matter so did my husband, we really do buy alot of cookbooks...
Right now I'm reading IT by Stephen King.

In my reading aloud, we're just about through with viva la repartee, which we're getting a huge kick out of. It's a collection of clever things people have said over the years. I'm one of those who thinks of what I should have said a week later, at 3 a.m. in the morning. I usually have at least three books going (one frivolous, usually a murder mystery; something serious requiring more thought, which I break up with the frivolous; and something aloud to my freinds who are very literary but unable to read themselves).

One thing I read to my ladies last week takes only a few minutes: You're Only Old Once, the last book by Dr. Seuss. Should be required reading for everyone over 50. The only bad thing is that one friend is blind so couldn't enjoy the illustrations! This would make a great birthday present.

corazon90
finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" actually a while ago and just realized I hadn't let you know how I liked it.

I really, really liked it. Course, anything time travel I like. Could've done without a few of the scenes, but it was a really enjoyable read. Thanks so much!!!

actually, not reading too much these days. Trying to go through my books and figure out which ones to keep and which ones to sell.

Claire, your friend may be interested in the audio books. I've really enjoyed them lately and keep one in my car. I don't allow myself to listen any other time so trips in the car are much more pleasurable.

Just finished reading "The Pilots Wife" by Anita Shreve. It's part of Oprah's book club. It's a good book.

The initial part is extremely depressing and hits you hard if you have experienced death of a close one. I lost my only brother in an accident so reading about death so intimitely described made my tummy churn. The portions after that and the way the story unfolds are gripping.

I just finished Elizabeth Gilbert's book "Eat, Pray, Love". The author spent 4 months each in Italy, India and Indonesia after she goes through a divorce. Its well written (funny, sad, good story, etc) and also an excellent travelogue for anyone traveling to Rome, India or Bali.

Wastewater management plan (with 5 appendixes) for a facility in the Midwest and a closeout report for a cleaned-up Superfund site in the mid-Atlantic area.

But I'm bringing a bunch of good trash to read at the beach. And I can't wait.

licia
Love Jan Karon's books!!! Part of my Do Not Sell collection.

actually started reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" at lunch, so I am reading again. Should have kept going on my "sell" list though. oh well.

mudbug said:
Wastewater management plan (with 5 appendixes) for a facility in the Midwest...

You're going to love it! What a fantastic ending, you'll never guess how it's going to turn out! I couldn't put it down.

John Sandford's "Dead Watch"... his newest- a good one.
Also recently re-read through the "Harley-Davidson Service Manual for the 2002 Touring Models", really aan interesting read. The imagery was wonderful and the technical specifications were fascinating. Hard to put it down.

Licia, the reason I started reading for this friend was that she didn't like books on tape ... which I could identify with. I'd had vision problems a number of years ago, and I hated them. Not that I think they are bad, a lot of people love them and I'm glad they are there. They just don't go at my pace. I started to read to her because she was desperate to read a couple of books written by friends of hers. Then two things happened -- she started to like me reading. But the big development was that her very arthritic friend (totally housebound) started getting into conversations we would have. Honestly, she'd been going into a vegestative state when I first started reading, then started asking me when she cold meet my husband, my friends, etc. Right now we are between books and I asked if they'd like to hear some Wodehouse "Jeeves". This is a good series of short stories to fill time until we move on to a more serious book. Yes, she could throw a tape or cd on, but we read, and often look up words, or will segue to a related book, or go off on another conversation. Sometimes we have dinner parties with the food & drink of a country that comes from a bio, history, or novel that we just read.

Right now, for myself, I seem to have gotten into a dead place when it comes to reading. The last half dozen I've read just haven't been very good. I despise the romance-type format .... I don't mind some romance in a novel, but I hate it when you open a book and immediately KNOW that the arrogant hero and gorgeous woman who hate each other will fall into each other's arms by the end of the book. It seems a lot of romance writers are trying to get into the mystery genre .... but they leave the mystery out of it. I read a dozen or so books in the past two weeks, and was disappointed in all of them. C'est la vie.
So now I'm reading some old Graham Greene books.

I enjoy books that have relationships, not romance. I suppose that is why I like the Jan Karon books. It is about everybody in the town and more. They each have their idiosyncracies, but somehow avoid getting into too much trouble. I find many of the characters remind me of someone I know or knew. Reading to your friend is a magnificent gesture and surely is worth your while, but most of us couldn't spend that much time with someone. I remember my mother listening to stories on the radio when I was a child. She would be ironing or sewing and we would be asked to play quietly with our dolls while she was listening. I suppose she didn't have much time to read with 3 little girls.

I love reading any Michael Connelly mystery or anything by Alex Kava. Alex has a way of keeping your attention throughout the book. I have just finished one of the most fascinating books I've ever read, "The Cruelest Miles" a story of the diptheria epidemic in the '20's in Nome, Alaska and how the only way to get anti-toxin to these people was by dogsled. The people involved in the 'relay" are interesting and the obsticales they faced were horrendous. Very interesting information on the Arctic Circle, the weather conditions in the northern part of Alaska, the dogs themselves and dog sledding in general. I never dreamed I would be so engrossed in a book like this.
I'm wondering if anyone else has read it.

Well, I'm finally reading a book that I've tried to read many times over the years but never made it past Leviticus. :mrgreen:

This time I started with Matthew with a plain-english version and am doing much better.

~ Raven ~

As always I'm reading a few different ones...

BEACHROAD, JAMES PATTERSON

DON'T LET'S GO TO THE DOGS TONIGHT AN AFRICAN CHILDHOOD, ALEXANDRA FULLER

BLACKBIRD ( CHILD ABUSE STORY) JENNIFER LAUCK

MELODY, VC ANDREWS

BOOK OF JOE, JONATHAN TROPPER

AND

MY FRIEND LENOARD, JAMES FRYE ( second half of 1 MILLION PIECES)

Andy M. said:
You're going to love it! What a fantastic ending, you'll never guess how it's going to turn out! I couldn't put it down.

LOL, Andy. And didn't you love Appendix 3????!!! 200-plus pages of manufacturer's literature.

Can't wait for the movie.

pdswife said:
As always I'm reading a few different ones...

DON'T LET'S GO TO THE DOGS TONIGHT AN AFRICAN CHILDHOOD, ALEXANDRA FULLER

I loved that book! My family lived in the areas that she described in around about the same years (and before, from the early '50's)(most of them didn't farm and probably weren't quite as lush-y, but a lot of the daily life kinds of things she describes are so evocative). I made my mom read this book, too. My sister was born in Luansya, and my family lived in Kitwe and Ndola, too. My mom said it brought back all kinds of memories. Her next book, Scribbling the Cat, is much much darker, though.

Pdswife, I also have several books going at the same time - all stacked on the chair next to my bed. I'm reading:

A Southern Exposure by Alice Adams <- working on this one
April Witch by Majgull Axelsson <- just finished, strange, occult, fantasy & social commentary
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini <- bought it last summer, then held off for a long time, don'g know why, but once I started, boy, it's good
Simple Abundance by Sarah Breathnach <- working on this one - spotted it in a doctor's office - a day book. May 6th (I think) was what made me buy the book.

I have a few others under that pile, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom