Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the midst of Beautiful Exiles by Meg Waite Clayton

A novel of journalist Martha Gellhorn meeting Ernest Hemingway in Key West, 1936. An interesting portrayal of their time together..

Fiction which reads like non-fiction..

Ross

One of our neighbors gave Mom a book where the main character is a cat named Joe Grey. I found the Megyn Kelly biography "Settle for More" at a thrift store for a quarter. I'm reading a chapter a night, read 2 last night during the storms.

"The Far Country" as part of my *Nevil Shute fest. I'm working my way through my collection prior to consigning them to the charity shop. (I'm getting to the age where I feel the need to down-size.) My father recommended them to me and I loved them as a girl and young woman but have not read them since. I find they have stood the test of time as a good read.

*Probably the Nevil Shute titles you're most familiar with are "A Town Like Alice" and "On the Beach" - both made into terrible films. The latter centred round Australia being the last place to survive (only temporarily) after the nuclear holocaust. Fred Astaire was in the film - god only knows what he was thinking of - he must have needed the money!!).

Been on a tear with John Grisham books recently. Just finished The Rooster Bar, which I highly recommend.

Am now about halfway through Sycamore Row. Great book and I've had to put my seat belt on a few times already.

One of those books I can't wait to finish but don't want it to end at the same time. Luckily it's a long book.

I picked up two mysteries at the library on Friday, all excited to have my 3rd large-print James Patterson "Women's Murder Club" to read while pedaling on the recumbent bike. I swear I ordered a large print...

Anyway, the second book I got was the latest "Meg Langslow" mystery by Donna Andrews. I decided to read that one first. All of her books feature a bird in the title. This one is called "Toucan Keep a Secret". :LOL: I swear its subtitle should be "Just one more chapter, pleeeeeeze?" *yawn*

I picked up two mysteries at the library on Friday, all excited to have my 3rd large-print James Patterson "Women's Murder Club" to read while pedaling on the recumbent bike. I swear I ordered a large print...

Omigosh! Love, love, love Patterson's "Women's Murder Club." My advice is to read them in order. If you do this, you will learn to get acquainted with all the characters and love them like I do. Such a fun bunch of reading. I've finally caught up to the last one #17, I think.

Three cheers for Patterson's "Women's Murder Club!!"

Katie, I fell in love with Lindsay, et al, when Women's Murder Club was a one-year series on ABC in 2007-8. Watched it every week, sorry to see it go unrenewed. Now I'll be working my way through all the books, yes, in order. That's how I like reading any series, since the characters (should) grow and develop as the series goes along.

Get ready, it looks like #18 is on its way soon. I'm guessing it will be out just in time for Christmas. :whistling:

The 18th Abduction

Katie, I fell in love with Lindsay, et al, when Women's Murder Club was a one-year series on ABC in 2007-8. Watched it every week, sorry to see it go unrenewed. Now I'll be working my way through all the books, yes, in order. That's how I like reading any series, since the characters (should) grow and develop as the series goes along.

Yes, I really have come to appreciate Lindsay and especially like Claire. I could go on and on, but I truly like how all the characters have developed and grown. Great bunch of writing.

Can't wait for #18 and am on my local library's waiting list.

Go James Patterson!

Now, if you haven't already looked into them, the "Maximum Ride" series is well worth investigating.

Yes, the stories are a bit unconventional but, when I completed the series, I loved, loved, loved Max. Give these books a chance and read them with an open mind. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, I really have come to appreciate Lindsay and especially like Claire. I could go on and on, but I truly like how all the characters have developed and grown. Great bunch of writing.

Can't wait for #18 and am on my local library's waiting list.

Go James Patterson!

Now, if you haven't already looked into them, the "Maximum Ride" series is well worth investigating.

Yes, the stories are a bit unconventional but, when I completed the series, I loved, loved, loved Max. Give these books a chance and read them with an open mind. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I love the "Maximum Ride" series.

Max and friends were my family as I read along, I cared so much about what was happening, but then I really get into stories sometimes.

Once, while reading the newest book in a series, I got to the part when my favorite character unexpectedly died...took me by surprise. I cried for days, I had been reading the series since I was 9 or 10, I was in my twenties when I read that part with him dying...Shrek though I was nuts! It still makes me cry when I re-read it.

...Now, if you haven't already looked into them, the "Maximum Ride" series is well worth investigating.

I just read the write-up for the first book. Um, it really doesn't sound like my "thing". I'm not a fan of fantasy, sci-fi, anything like that. I like cozy mysteries, cookbooks, political themed books like Allen Drury's "Advise and Consent" or Margaret Truman's D.C.-based murder mysteries. I tried 3 times to read Patterson's Alex Cross books because my bestie back home loved them, and we like a lot of the same things. Didn't do anything for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but with the small amount of time I devote to book reading, I think I'll play it safe and stay in my rut. ;)

I think I won't be spending much time on DC for a while...
IMG_20180909_004512096.jpg

I just read the write-up for the first book. Um, it really doesn't sound like my "thing". I'm not a fan of fantasy, sci-fi, anything like that. I like cozy mysteries, cookbooks, political themed books like Allen Drury's "Advise and Consent" or Margaret Truman's D.C.-based murder mysteries. I tried 3 times to read Patterson's Alex Cross books because my bestie back home loved them, and we like a lot of the same things. Didn't do anything for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but with the small amount of time I devote to book reading, I think I'll play it safe and stay in my rut. ;)

I understand exactly what you are saying. I thoroughly dislike sci-fi and fantasy but, for some reason, I don't put this series of books in either category. Max and company are characters who don't look like us and have trials and tribulations like "human" characters.

I was surprised to find that I thoroughly enjoyed the books and came to love Max et al.

Read The Ragged Edge of Night by Olivia Hawker..
Germany, 1942. Franciscan friar Anton Starzmann is stripped of his place in the world when his school is seized by the Nazis.
Pretty powerful, IMO..

In the middle of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt..
Theo Decker, a 13-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his mother. Abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his longing for his mother, he clings to the one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art.
Really interesting so far..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom