Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am 'bout halfway through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I can hardly wait to finish. Soooooooooooo much interesting information and would love to have my physician father still be alive to discuss this information.

Much of the amazing information took place when my dad was in his medical prime. He always kept up on medical information and was part of the historic "Three Faces of Eve" study.

Saw the movie some time ago but the book fills in so many gaps. I learned so much about the HeLa cells and, discovered that I was a recipient of how the research impacted me with one of the chemo drugs I was treated with with my recent breast cancer treatment.

Much, much more information and I've only made it halfway through the book.

Awesome!!!!!!

Katie, I absolutely loved that book! It made me laugh, it made me cry...and it made me truly sad - no, mad - with the way Henrietta and her family were exploited. I don't remember there being a movie, though. I'll have to hunt it down at our library.

Yes, the more I get into the book, the more I have challenges.

I grew up in the deep south with things that had to do with black/white issues.

One of the most powerful experiences I have ever had came from an experience with my father.

I, fortunately, had the opportunity to assist him in a minor surgery...gallbladder something. Don't remember.

He'd opened the patient, who would be considered today as morbidly obese, was on the table. He'd opened the abdomen and had retracted the site.

One of the circulating nurses, who was known to have an "attitude" made some disgusting comment about black folks being overly fat.

He looked over his cloth-covered mask and raised his caterpillar eyebrows and said, "You will notice we're all the same color on the inside."

I always respected my father and, at this situation, I felt he was glorious.

He taught me lessons that were wonderful!

Love you, Daddy!

Am 'bout halfway through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I can hardly wait to finish. Soooooooooooo much interesting information and would love to have my physician father still be alive to discuss this information.

Looks interesting. I put it on my list to read.

I have read and enjoyed "A Gentleman in Moscow"..

I have placed a hold on "Where the Crawdads Sing", mainly because the author is compared to Barbara Kingsolver.. Love her books..

Unfortunately I'm #151 on my library list so, it will be a while..

Ross

Well... I'm a pretty patient guy and my turn to read this finally came up..

I totally enjoyed this book.. :)

I understand that a screen play is close to being completed and I just hope that the upcoming movie isn't a huge disappointment.. As of what I read today, stars, etc., have yet to be chosen..

Ross

I'm glad you really liked "Crawdad's" too Ross. It's the best I've read in a long time.

I just finished a book I really enjoyed also..."The Whip" by Karen Kondazian. I adore Historical Novels like this and it was certainly memorable. I highly recommend it.
The Whip is inspired by the true story of a woman, Charlotte "Charley" Parkhurst (1812-1879) who lived most of her extraordinary life as a man.

As a young woman in Rhode Island, she fell in love and had a child. Her husband was lynched and her baby killed. The destruction of her family drove her west to California, dressed as a man, to track down the murder.

Charley became a renowned stagecoach driver. She killed a famous outlaw, had a secret love affair, and lived with a housekeeper who, unaware of her true sex, fell in love with her.

Charley was the first woman to vote in America (as a man). Her grave lies in Watsonville, California.

I'm glad you really liked "Crawdad's" too Ross. It's the best I've read in a long time.

I just finished a book I really enjoyed also..."The Whip" by Karen Kondazian. I adore Historical Novels like this and it was certainly memorable. I highly recommend it.

I agree with that in bold... :)

My library doesn't have The Whip at present.. I'm certain I'd like that too.. Historical Novels are my fave..

Ross

Ross, I thought that much of The Whip taking place in Watsonville would really get your attention.

By the way, not sure if I asked you before, but have you read "The Proud Breed" by Celeste De Blasis? It's just about my all time favorite historical novel, all of it taking place in California. It was first published in 1978.

Ross, I thought that much of The Whip taking place in Watsonville would really get your attention.

By the way, not sure if I asked you before, but have you read "The Proud Breed" by Celeste De Blasis? It's just about my all time favorite historical novel, all of it taking place in California. It was first published in 1978.

I would like to read The Whip and I will at some point.. I have read about "Charley Parkhurst" and find her an interesting character..

In reading about The Proud Breed, I think I'd enjoy reading that although I, generally, pass by books advertised as Romance Novels...

Ross

I would like to read The Whip and I will at some point.. I have read about "Charley Parkhurst" and find her an interesting character..

In reading about The Proud Breed, I think I'd enjoy reading that although I, generally, pass by books advertised as Romance Novels...

Ross

:LOL: Ross, I understand about "romance novels"...Souschef avoids them at all cost, and calls them "bodice rippers". :LOL: The Proud Breed is nothing like that in reality. I know you would really enjoy it. :)

Hi Ross...I loved Where the Crawdads Sing, and recently read Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber, and The Secret Ingredient of Wishes by Susan Bishop Crispell. They were really good and similar in a magical way.

Hey BD.. Thanks for the recommendations..

Just checked with my library and neither book is available.. :ermm:

I do miss my California library system..

Ross

Hi Ross...both books are new for this year. My library gets them earlier I guess. I know "Midnight" comes out in January. Maybe your library will get it then. I don't know about the other book, but I know its new.

Ross...Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe comes out January 7, 2020. The Secret Ingredients for Wishes has been out since September 2016...which surprised me...I've never seen or heard of it before this year. I'm always browsing books and don't know how I missed it!

Just read an article in today's NYT about Where The Crawdads Sing. Some interesting factoids from the article.

As the end of 2019 approaches, “Crawdads” has sold more print copies than any other adult title this year — fiction or nonfiction — according to NPD BookScan, blowing away the combined print sales of new novels by John Grisham, Margaret Atwood and Stephen King. Putnam has returned to the printers nearly 40 times to feed a seemingly bottomless demand for the book. Foreign rights have sold in 41 countries.

Industry analysts have struggled to explain the novel’s staying power, particularly at a moment when fiction sales over all are flagging, and most blockbuster novels drop off the best-seller list after a few weeks.

One of the most surprising things about the success of “Crawdads” is that sales began to accelerate months after it came out — an anomaly in publishing, where sales typically peak just after publication, aided by the initial advertising and marketing around a title.

I have not read this book but I guess I need to put it on my list.

Back
Top Bottom