Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm reading "The Dante Connection" by Estelle Ryan (no.2) and enjoying it. I'm behind on this series, I always get sidetracked by other books!

To those who are reading "The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek...loved it! Try "The Giver of Stars" by Jojo Moyes, its similar, and good too.
Just my humble opinion...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking it up now.

Our local TV station interviewed Librarians recently. They were explaining how many people were lost without being able to visit the Libraries and check out books. The purpose of the interview was to explain the Digital Libraries that exist where anyone with a Library Card (and PIN number) can download ebooks and audio books during the quarantine. They mentioned that if a patron didn't have a PIN number they could call the library and get one assigned to their card.

One of the reasons cited for using the Digital Public Libraries is that the local Library buildings can only house so many books. By using these digital resources there is an exponentially larger collection available.

These digital books "return themselves", so when the loan time is up there is never an overdue fine.

Here in Ohio I use an ap called "Overdrive" and access the "OPLIN" (Ohio Public Library Information Network) and a lot of Library systems are affiliated with DPLA (Digital Public Libraries of America) But there are so many other Digital sources too. Linkedin's "Lynda", "Hoopla", "KnowledgeCity", and.....
"A to Z Food America".

Since I have a media tablet I can download to my laptop and then move the file to the tablet such that I can listen to an audio book thru the sound system of my car as I drive. Even listen to it as I mow the lawn or paint around the house.

These Digital Libraries offer so much more than the old sticks & bricks Libraries ever offered. Although it is nice to have a Library book to hold and read (provided you can get it) our present circumstances makes the Digital realm
quite a comfort.

I use Overdrive with my Kindle. Works well in these times..

My only disappointment is that, frequently, suggested authors/books are not available in my area..

Ross

Our local TV station interviewed Librarians recently. They were explaining how many people were lost without being able to visit the Libraries and check out books. The purpose of the interview was to explain the Digital Libraries that exist where anyone with a Library Card (and PIN number) can download ebooks and audio books during the quarantine. They mentioned that if a patron didn't have a PIN number they could call the library and get one assigned to their card.

One of the reasons cited for using the Digital Public Libraries is that the local Library buildings can only house so many books. By using these digital resources there is an exponentially larger collection available.

These digital books "return themselves", so when the loan time is up there is never an overdue fine.

Here in Ohio I use an ap called "Overdrive" and access the "OPLIN" (Ohio Public Library Information Network) and a lot of Library systems are affiliated with DPLA (Digital Public Libraries of America) But there are so many other Digital sources too. Linkedin's "Lynda", "Hoopla", "KnowledgeCity", and.....
"A to Z Food America".

Since I have a media tablet I can download to my laptop and then move the file to the tablet such that I can listen to an audio book thru the sound system of my car as I drive. Even listen to it as I mow the lawn or paint around the house.

These Digital Libraries offer so much more than the old sticks & bricks Libraries ever offered. Although it is nice to have a Library book to hold and read (provided you can get it) our present circumstances makes the Digital realm
quite a comfort.
I love libraries, especially the digital collections, but libraries have changed much from when I was growing up. I had a master gardener training a few years ago in a new library one town over. They had gaming teams - not just playing video games, but creating them. They had lots of other free programs available, too. It's not just a place to borrow books and movies anymore.

My library system uses Overdrive, too. I need to look into Hoopla.

a bunch of magazines that i would be reading on my commute but since i'm under stay at home orders, they're piling up. i ran out of library books 2 weeks ago.

it's not pretty.

Hello, all! Newbie here! Hope you're all safe and well.

I'm reading fiction and non-fiction at the moment.

Fiction: The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker. I bought this book because I really liked The Mezzanine, also by Baker, and I was pretty surprised--pleasantly--by his range. They're both in the first-person, but worlds apart. As always, there is plenty of wacky information to be enjoyed, and the interweaving of all this improbably true information with the narrative is one of the best things about his books. This one deals with poetry, and as you can imagine there's a lot of excellent criticism and references to music and other poems. I'm compiling a Google Doc listing poets I'd never have cared to know about if not for this book. Great book, thoroughly recommend it :)

Non-Fiction: John Macionis's Society: The Basics. This is an introductory text, also a little textbook-style IMO, but it's informative and thought-provoking, which is why I read non-fiction. Although some non-fiction works are also deeply stylistic. Zeroed in on this because I've been thinking about public health expenditure and how to have decent conversations about universal healthcare with people. Realized the best way to do that is to engage the self in debate. Lol. But seriously this has helped me understand Sweden's response to the pandemic. I still think it's brave to not lockdown, but I don't think it's foolish on their part, as I used to.

Stay safe guys!

Historical Fiction.. Amazon and others..

Golden Poppies by Laila Ibrahim

It's 1894. Jordan Wallace and Sadie Wagner appear to have little in common. Jordan, a middle-aged black teacher, lives in segregated Chicago. Two thousand miles away, Sadie, the white wife of an ambitious German businessman, lives in more tolerant Oakland, California. But years ago, their families intertwined on a plantation in Virginia. There, Jordan's and Sadie's mothers developed a bond stronger than blood, despite the fact that one was enslaved and the other was the privileged daughter of the plantation's owner.

I thought this to be interesting and thought provoking..

Ross

I have no idea when our town's library will be open for business. The last post was something about how the staff is on furlough, but the neighboring town libraries will be opening and we can always use our cards there. :glare: Apparently, our library's board of directors (at whose discretion the library director serves and answers to) has decided to tighten the purse strings and hold off longer than anyone else around here. So...I took the plunge into reading online. Bad idea. Do you know how easy it is when you aren't flipping pages, have no idea how far you have to go before the end of the book (without having to pull up the progress bar), and keep saying "just one more chapter" for many, many chapters? :LOL:

Over the course of a bit over a week, I blew through the "Pancake House Mysteries" by author Sarah Fox. Using various online resources, I was able to find eBooks for books 1 through 4 plus book 6. I couldn't find book 5 to read, but there was a link to an audio version. I'm not a fan of audio books, so I figured I would just skip it...until I got to about page 5 in book 6. Turns out there was a big event in book 5 that made me just need to read it. :LOL: Except...I couldn't. Gave in and listened to book 5. Ugh, it was painful. This is only the second time I've tried an audio book, and I just can't do it. Mispronunciations, not noticing that there's a question mark until they're done reading the entire sentence...and then going up in pitch when they finish off with "she said?". Arrrrgggg!

IMG_3843.jpg

E. A. Poe

I've been getting around to old books on the shelf - just finished Poe's Gold Bug in his collected tales. Was very surprised at the complicated encryption involved. Good story.

Before this one I went to Treasure Island with Robert Louis Stevenson. Only knew of the Hollywood movie version and was pleasantly surprised by the jolly good story. Also, Jekyll & Hyde was a far more thoughtful piece of fiction than I expected.

(Thanks for your cartoons, Trim.)

With our library you go on the site and put what books you want on hold. Then they call you and tell you to come down and pick up your books. You park outside and there is a telephone number poated out there and you call it and let them know you are out there and they bring the books for you out in a plastic bag. They put the bag on a cart outside the door and you get out of your car and pick it up. No problem, I was so glad to get the books.

Book: "1959: The Year Everything Changed".

https://www.amazon.com/1959-Everything-Changed-Fred-Kaplan/dp/0470602031

An interesting read for sure. It was the kickoff to the 60's a decade which has been described as three decades occurring in one. Young people, those who were born just before WW2 and afterwards had grown up in such militaristic, conservative homes, where being a "conformist" was expected of them, began to reject these old ways as they entered their young adult years. The movement had actually started a few years earlier in Britain. And there was a lot of push back from older adults. Why? Those born post WW1 had little and by the time they were 10 years of age the great depression was looming. When that was over they got to fight in WW2. Finally in the recovery post Korean War era they were nearing 45 years of age and seeking kids having lives that they could never have dreamed of, while realizing their time had robbed them of their youths. Those who lived thru the 1960's may remember these times well.

The movie, "The Graduate" with Dustin Hoffman showcased many examples of this.

In the book you are taken thru a tour of the times & events from the early trends were beginning which would lead into the 1960's.

Recently Michael Cain (the actor) embarked on a project titled, "My Generation" that described what was happening in Britain in the 1950's and how trends there transferred to the USA. Much of it in Pop Music, fashion trends, hair styles, and youth culture.

A trailer from "My Generation". (youtube video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXR68BjGluE

This hour long documentary had been on Youtube. This is just the Trailer intro.

Some today feel that there are those with an agenda trying force young people back into that pre fifties conservative conformity.

But that spirit of the 60's in the USA endures still today. Bob Well of Cheap RV Living has in his channel a series of video's. Today there is a growing number of people living on the road in RV's of some form. They don't describe themselves as "homeless", but "houseless" and happier out of the rat race than in it.

Do You Follow Your Heart or Are You a “Good Productive Citizen” Following the “American Dream”?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKcVLYnf358

Last edited:
While the saying "if you remember the '60s, you weren't there" is popular, I was there and remember it, RC. Since I never went to college, I never ran with the crowd from "The Graduate". ;)

After rolling through the Sarah Fox "Pancake House" series, I started checking in on some of my favorite authors to find out if I was behind. Oh, yeah! I have to wait for the hard copies on a couple different series, but I did get to read "Lark, the Herald Angels Sing" by Donna Andrews. While I'm waiting for my turn at a couple of E-books, and for the library to open up so I can get my hands on real books, I'm currently reading "Five Presidents" by Clint Hill. Hill was a Secret Service agent during five presidencies, Eisenhower through Ford. During the Kennedy presidency, Hill was one of two agents assigned to Jackie Kennedy. Very interesting books.

LOL :) I was in high school when the movie came out. It was all the talk, ironically the older adults doing so much of the talking. Then I live in the tri-state KY, OH, WV which has many Universities, Colleges, Business Schools, etc etc. So for me it was hard to miss it...college kid or not.

I'm reading "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michelle Richardson for my next book club meeting, which we will hold via Zoom teleconferencing. It's about a traveling librarian in Kentucky during the Depression - part of Roosevelt's Pack Horse Library Project. She traveled by mule to deliver and retrieve books and other reading materials for people who lived in the mountains of rural eastern Kentucky. Very interesting story.

It took from April to now for my library to deliver this book to my Kindle.. Well worth the wait.. :)

I, truly enjoyed this book.. I had heard of the “blue people of Troublesome Creek” and this book, though fiction, brought them to life for me..

Ross

It took from April to now for my library to deliver this book to my Kindle.. Well worth the wait.. [emoji2]

I, truly enjoyed this book.. I had heard of the “blue people of Troublesome Creek” and this book, though fiction, brought them to life for me..

Ross
I'm glad you liked it. I found it fascinating. I had never heard of the blue people before, so that was very interesting for me.

Back
Top Bottom