Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading The Wedding, by Nicholas Sparks. It is the sequel to the Notebook, so far it is good. Not as good as the Notebook but good.

I'm still reading Paradise Toni Morrison
and just started Vinegar Hill by Manette Ansay
and The Reader by Bernhard Schlink.

Just finished re-reading Lord Of the Flies.
I'd forgotten how much I liked that book.

I love Toni Morrison, but she is not easy to read.

I just reread a book called " The Assistant" by
Bernard Malamud. It was a painful book to read, if that makes any sense. I became involved in the people's lives. A very different time and lifestyle to mine.

Pam

PA, I know you want see this until Monday but I had to tell you before I forgot! I finished Never Change last night & cried through the last half of it. It was wonderful! Thanks!!

Pam Leavy said:
I love Toni Morrison, but she is not easy to read.

I just reread a book called " The Assistant" by
Bernard Malamud. It was a painful book to read, if that makes any sense. I became involved in the people's lives. A very different time and lifestyle to mine.

Pam

I agree Pam. I really like her too. BUT, I find myself re-reading line after line because of the way she writes. I think it's the work order that confuses me.

crewsk said:
PA, I know you want see this until Monday but I had to tell you before I forgot! I finished Never Change last night & cried through the last half of it. It was wonderful! Thanks!!

I'm glad you liked it so much! I find myself crying in a lot of her books. It's a good thing, though! :LOL:

what are you reading?

i'm planning on taking 'the catcher in the rye' and Hemingway's 'a moveable feast' out of the library. i just bought some books i had lost/ruined again, plus a new one, and i'll be starting on those, too. 'the devil wears prada', 'the secret life of bees', and 'confessions of a sociopathic social climber.' i got 'the Holocaust chronicle', a very awesome book, and i've been flipping through that.
but 'the catcher in the rye' and 'a moveable feast' are two of my absolute favorites.
i might start reading 'the diary of Anne Frank' agian, too. i love that book.
i like to read a whole bunch of books at once. i select which one i want to read at the moment depending on my mood.

Last edited:
'the Secret life of Bees' is one of my favorite books. It has been years since I've read Catcher in the Rye.

I've just read three good books, "Remains of the Day", "We have to talk about Kevin" and The way the crow flies", all three different but equally good.

Have you read 'White Oleander'? It is one of my favorites. "Blackberry Wine' is also very good.

Pam

i haven't read 'white oleander', pam, but i did see the movie, and liked that a lot.
what's 'we have to talk about kevin' about? it sounds like a good book.:)

Cool stuff. I never told you guy's but I finished american psycho a couple of months back (which I posted an excerpt of in this forum... hehehe). Then I took on The Big U by Neal Stephenson which I finished this week (it was amazing). The book is a satire about universities, machismo, burocracy and by the end its a satire about war. Probably one of the best I've read in a long time. Right now Im reading Aura which is a WEIRD and atmosferic book in spanish by Carlos Fuentes but its really short so as soon as I get a "reading day" I'll plow through it. Next on my list is Fargo Rock City which a roomie loant me since Im a metal head (It's about growing up listening to 80's metal) and after that Im starting the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson which is suposed to be a gritty yet funny period fiction.

I love to read as much as I do cook!

The Secret Life of Bees
was great! I picked it up after hearing raves about it here and I'm so glad I did. Sue Kidd's second book, The Mermaid Chair, is very good as well.

White Oleander
is a very good book. I haven't seen the movie so maybe I'll have to find that one and watch it.

I'm reading the second series in Terry Brook's Sword of Truth books, The Scions of Shannara is the one I started last night. If you are a fan of the fantasy genre, TB writes some decent stuff.

I am also re-reading a book called Loving What Is by Byron Katie, a super self-help kind of book which encourages you to quit focusing on the "what should be" or "what should have been" as that is the kind of thinking that leads you absolutely nowhere. Instead learn to find the simple truths in those things that eat at you. Learn to awknowledge, understand, appreciate and enjoy what is in front of you. It's about letting others live out their lives, make their own mistakes and learn their own painful lessons without you having to having to be pulled down into their unhappy worlds. I highly recommend it. It's not deep and weighty stuff, but offers good, simple, common sense approaches to letting go of stressful and dead end thinking.

:heart:
Z

i like reading as much as cooking, too, zereh. that and history. soooooo many people have read 'the secret life of bees' and i have yet to hear one negetive comment about that book. it's such a great book. i hope sue monk kidd won some awards for it; she's an awesome writer. i'll have to check her other book out.

The Secret Life of Bees is a great book!
White Oleander was really good too. I saw part of the movie but, missed the end. I'll have to rent it some day.

I just got done reading THE BOY WHO LOVED ANNE FRANK, It was good. Took a little while to read though. It's not long just.... a slow read. Hard to explain. luvs if you read and liked THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK, you should check this out. It's a good part two to the story. Fiction

I also read SPEAK SOFTLY SHE CAN HEAR YOU. I wouldn't tell any one to rush out and buy it. Get it from the library instead. I re-read books over and over and I won't pick this one up again. The characters were too unbelieveable even for a fiction book and the ending was "just wrong".

I'm out of books now and this afternoon will be going signing on to the local library site to pick out some new ones. Any ideas?

Oh and speaking of old books... I just finished ( again) THE LORD OF THE FLIES. I love that book!! :)

if you like satire and belly laughs, pds, i HIGHLY recommend 'confessions of a sociopathic social climber' by adele lang. it was a New York Times bestseller.
it drips with sarcasm and just makes you laugh a lot.
oh, and if you haven't read 'the catcher in the rye', please do. it's just a pure classic, and now i see why. it's excellent.

Last edited:
'We have to talk about Kevin' is a series of letters written by the mother of a boy that commits a horrible crime. He shoots several people at his high school. The mother is writing letters to his father. It is really gripping. I am a fast reader, but found I needed to take this book very slowly. We have an English language bookclub here and this is the next book. I'm glad I read it.

I saw the film 'White Oleander'. I thought it was also very good. That was a relief! Film versions of books can really fall flat.

Lord of the Flies is also a classic. Haven't read that in a long time!

Lugar, I hated 'American Psycho'. The guy can write, but I could not stomach the subject matter. My father-in-law was reading the Dutch translation and he asked me what a 'hard body' was. Hard to translate so they left it in English. Hard to translate for me as well.

the Anne Frank house is in Amsterdam. I have been a few times. We wanted to take my son there last week as he has never been and he was taking the day off for his 18 birthday. The problem is, the lines are so long to get in. It is worth the wait. I read the book in Dutch as well for one of my exams. That changed the whole perspective. It was written in Dutch. It wasn't anything I'd really thought about.

Has anybody read the 'new' version, with things added after her father died a while back? I have not and am wondering what the differences are. Apparently she said some unkind things about her mother.

pam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom