Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my nighttable is The Book of Salt by Monique Truong. It concerns the Vietnamese private cook of Alice B. Toklas & Gertrude Stein, Paris, 1934. The book was inspired by this from the Alice B. Toklas Cook Book, "Two American ladies wish to retain a cook -- 27 rue de Fleurus."

I'm currently reading "The Blue Sweater" by Jacqueline Novogratz. It's about her time in Africa working in microfinance and helping poor women achieve economic independence. It's pretty compelling reading. At first, I was worried it was going to be more ideological but it's turning out to be more about how she learned to navigate her way through other cultures.

Started a new ebook last night but couldn't get into it...so must select one tonight...maybe a Marian Keyes one :)

i just finished maziar bahari's book, then they came for me. it's the story of bahari's abuse and torture in an iranian prison, as a political prisoner after the 'free' election in iran that reinstated ahmadinejad as its ruler. not an easy book to digest, but i feel a connection and kinship with the iranian people who i previously knew next to nothing about.

The Story of a Common Soldier of Army Life in the Civil War 1861-1865
Leander Stillwell

A personal story detailing events in the American Civil War through the eyes of a Union enlisted man.

Finally picked up Hiss & Hers, an Agatha Raisin, by M. C. Beaton.

Still must finish The Book of Salt. A Randy Wayne White paperback is on the stack - Captiva. The location is Captiva Island, a sister island to Sanibel, both nearby local spots - not surprisingly, the book is well-thumbed and kind of beat up. :cool:

JoAnn, I have read a fair few of her novels and lots of the Wexford series...I am really enjoying this one too :)

I picked up an Aaron Elkins / Make No Bones. Its a Gideon Oliver book. I don't believe I've read any previously. Looking forward a nice murder mystery.

I recently finished a book titled Honolulu by Alan Brennert. It was a really good read and gives a fictional account of the history of Oahu through the eyes of a Korean mail order bride. If you plan a trip to the islands I'd recommend this book. You'll get a peek at all the different racial influences that make our island home a unique and wonderful place.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to dump but I want to also mention a mystery series by Ellie Griffiths, first book is The Crossing Places. I love her main character, Ruth Galloway. Excellent reading.

Last edited:
I picked up an Aaron Elkins / Make No Bones. Its a Gideon Oliver book. I don't believe I've read any previously. Looking forward a nice murder mystery.

I recently finished a book titled Honolulu by Alan Brennert. It was a really good read and gives a fictional account of the history of Oahu through the eyes of a Korean mail order bride. If you plan a trip to the islands I'd recommend this book. You'll get a peek at all the different racial influences that make our island home a unique and wonderful place.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to dump but I want to also mention a mystery series by Ellie Griffiths, first book is The Crossing Places. I love her main character, Ruth Galloway. Excellent reading.

If I plan a trip to the islands, I'm telling you first...you know where all the good restaurants are...:)

I read Michener's book Hawaii many years ago and still think of parts of it, especially the contributions of different races. I'll have to check our library for the Brennert book. Thanks.

I just finished 2.
Lincoln Childs & Doug Preston's new release I waited since January 3rd for: 'Two Graves' and Lisa Gardner's 'Love You More'.
I wanted to read her newest release 'Touch & Go', but I had to read this first as the second is a result of the aftermath of the first.
Both good, but not to impressed as much as I thought I would be with the Lincoln & Childs one as I was with I think was the best one; "The Cabinet of Curiousities'. Outstanding!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom