Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle, I finished the first one last week and ordered the next two through ThriftBooks - they arrived Friday. I really loved the first one, just started the second, and wanted to thank you again for letting me know about the sequels. It's fascinating reading.

Since I'm hosting the book club meeting on this book, I'm going to make tamales and buñuelos, in keeping with the theme [emoji2]

You're so very welcome GG, it makes me happy you really enjoyed it and I know you'll also like the next two. I'll be interested to hear what your book club thought of "These Is My Words".

Good thinking on the menu selection for the ladies.;)

I've been working my way through Robert Parker's "Jesse Stone" series. I just finished #13, "Blind Spot", written by Reed Farrel Coleman. The last book that Robert Parker had his hand in was #9. The next three were written with/by Michael Brandman. There was little difference in writing style; possibly because Brandman had worked closely with Parker when creating the Jesse Stone movies. This first work by Coleman was a big change in style and characters. A bit jarring. The next five in the series are also written by Coleman. I hope this next book is more like the first dozen...

Just finished "The Tatooist of Auschwitz."

Omigosh! So interesting, sad and powerful. Unbelievable story. No way anyone could belive the Holocaust did not occur!!

I recommend you be in a positive place before reading this true story.

Katie, I looked that book up. I'm sure it was a great book, but I'm afraid that I'd never be in a good enough place to be able to read it.

Well guys, if you don't see me around here for a while, this is why:

IMG_20200212_215446781.jpg

You would think this thread would be pretty busy. I had to go searching for it. Just bumping up to find later. Haven't finished my coffee yet. lol Back soon

I have been using Kindle and Libby on my phone to borrow library books. It’s perfect for the current situation. All the free books you can read.

Currently reading some James Patterson and David Baldacci novels. Two prolific authors so there’s plenty to read.

I am now reading (and probably will for quite a while lol) a big book by Lee Server. It is a biography of "Robert Mitchum". I know some of you are old enough to know who he was. lol. It was pub. in 2001, sitting in my bookcase for quite a few years. So far, I am enjoying it. He is in his early 20's, married, and has become a pretty good actor. I was surprised to read that he was such a wild child. He left home at the age of 14 and road the rails around the country.

I have been using Kindle and Libby on my phone to borrow library books. It’s perfect for the current situation. All the free books you can read.

Currently reading some James Patterson and David Baldacci novels. Two prolific authors so there’s plenty to read.
I really like those two also. Have you heard about Baldacci's new book coming out soon?

This is the sixth book in the Memory Man series by David Baldacci.

Baldacci was primarily a standalone author although has tried a few series in his time. None seem to have resonated with readers as much as the Memory Man series featuring Amos Decker. Amos is an FBI consultant with a perfect memory and in the latest thriller, he is brought in to attempt to solve a murder in an oil town in North Dakota.

Walk the Wire is going to be released on April 21st, 2020.

Do you have a list of Patterson books? If not, here is one that I have.
https://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/james-patterson/

Last edited:
What I'm reading?

Homewreckers: How a Gang of Wall Street Kingpins, Hedge Fund Magnates, Crooked Banks, and Vulture Capitalists Suckered Millions Out of Their Homes and Demolished the American Dream. by Aaron Glantz

This book explains a lot about the past few decades and it is quite well documented as well. .........and so many of these same Ivory Tower Criminals have now been appointed to key leadership positions.

So if you wonder how we arrived in the mess we are in now and who brought it to us, give this a read.

www.amazon.com/Homewreckers-Betting-Against-American-Dream-ebook/dp/B07CLM98K7

Before the library closed because of the Covid-19 situation, I picked up the most recent books in two series. I've since finished Robert Parker's "The Bitterest Pill" (Jesse Stone series) and James Patterson's "The 19th Christmas" (Women's Murder Club series). I picked up two other random books. I read and enjoyed "Peculiar questions and practical answers : a little book of whimsy and wisdom from the files of the New York Public Library", which was informative and entertaining. I'm still working my way through "Friendship cure: reconnecting in the modern world". The title seemed timely considering we're all needing to keep our contacts distant. It's a bit of a slow read...

Meanwhile, I do have magazines to keep my busy, so far.

I'm reading "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michelle Richardson for my next book club meeting, which we will hold via Zoom teleconferencing. It's about a traveling librarian in Kentucky during the Depression - part of Roosevelt's Pack Horse Library Project. She traveled by mule to deliver and retrieve books and other reading materials for people who lived in the mountains of rural eastern Kentucky. Very interesting story.

I'm reading "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michelle Richardson for my next book club meeting, which we will hold via Zoom teleconferencing. It's about a traveling librarian in Kentucky during the Depression - part of Roosevelt's Pack Horse Library Project. She traveled by mule to deliver and retrieve books and other reading materials for people who lived in the mountains of rural eastern Kentucky. Very interesting story.

Sounds good, I like books like that.

The public libraries are closed, of course. You can order books that are on the shelves in a specific branch and they will bring out curbside for pick up. But only books avail in that particular branch, no ordering from central library or transfers from other branches (yet). The County board got this terrific idea that since so many librarians are furloughed, they should be mandatory assigned to work in homeless shelters. One Co. employee is interchangeable with another Co worker. Luckily, there is a Library board who vetoed that idea. I was kinda-sorta hoping to see a duel on Main Street over that, but alas, distancing prevailed.

I am reading a local author's series of detective/ murder mysteries all set in the Boundary Waters area. William Kent Krueger, author. The main character is a former County sheriff who helps the local law enforcement solve crimes, which apparently there are many. In between he owns a burger stand, where he over-hears lots of inside information. Our own little Cabot Cove up on the northern lakes. I made the mistake of reading one of his more recent titles before working up to it. And found my own spoiler alert. Sheriff is hooked up with a new woman and his first wife gets killed in some earlier title. I hate that I found this out too soon.

Last edited:
I'm reading "The Dante Connection" by Estelle Ryan (no.2) and enjoying it. I'm behind on this series, I always get sidetracked by other books!

To those who are reading "The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek...loved it! Try "The Giver of Stars" by Jojo Moyes, its similar, and good too.
Just my humble opinion...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom