The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarionW

Senior Cook
Dear DC Community,

I just realized karma is an active part of the site and it is given by our peers. Please forgive my initial ignorance. A few of you have given me karma already. Thank you for the kind words.

I have just begun reading about karma, it seems some were, or may still be, opposed to the idea. Is this still a general concensus? Or have we all relaxed now and no longer feel "threatened" by it?

Marion

I think when karma first started on here, it was presented in such a way that one would be rewarded by having a bigger avitar, etc. Not sure why it was presented like that, rather than just giving karma for a good thread or post. I think now, most people just give it or not simply because they enjoyed the thread or posts.

:) I keep forgetting we can leave karma dont even know how to do it .Dont even know how to check if I have karma.If it was in my brain I would leave alot of karma.Sorry Guys! I need a nudge.

What I don't get, is why leave a private karma message when what I would rather do is have everyone see my positive comments about a person and/or post?

I have received good karma (thank you, lovely people!) and have given it, but mainly, I publicly post my appreciation.

What am I missing here?

Lee

Last edited:
Qsis,
it allows me to give someone a little private pat on the back, a well done, or just say hello, liked your post,glad you're with us.Just something between the two of us. Plus, it's kind of a fun thing to surprise someone with karma... I also like to try to say something on the post reply itself to let the person know I read their post and liked it. I sometimes don't reply, so a karma message let's them know I was there:)

kadesma

QSis,

I agree, public, positive comment of appreciation is very good. But, on the other hand, it was quite nice to discover some private remarks by individuals that appreciated a post or two. It's a boost.

Marion

Whenever I need a pick-me-up or a smile, I read my karma posts. Never fails to put a smile on my face.:)

Hi ! :)

Whenever I need a pick-me-up or a smile, I read my karma posts. Never fails to put a smile on my face.:)

Thats because you are a Special Person Wasabi ! You are just a Sweetheart ! Hugs and Love James :cool:

See what I mean?
img_321348_0_43d917949c7f8c5ca6c2693e75737ee3.gif

Maidrite said:

Thats because you are a Special Person Wasabi ! You are just a Sweetheart ! Hugs and Love James :cool:
I agree BUT
So are you James- so are you!!!!:)
Love and energy, Vicki

QSis said:
What I don't get, is why leave a private karma message when what I would rather do is have everyone see my positive comments about a person and/or post?

I have received good karma (thank you, lovely people!) and received it, but mainly, I publicly post my appreciation.

What am I missing here?

Lee

Same here, Qsis -- would like to see the positive replys (to a recipe, or if someone is in agreement with a post - off topic) posted on the Boards for everyone to see.

I remember when the Karma system started, and I think the purpose then was, and still is, to make newcomers and all members feel they are appreciated - rather than the same people replying to one another over and over again. If you notice the message, when one keeps giving the same person(s) karma, the message reads, you must spread some around before giving it to the same person(s).

I agree with Mud, it shouldn't be a contest. Karma, imo, is something one gives as praise/kudos, a pleasant surprise, and should not be announced on the Board as "Karma is coming your way." The personal notes, I feel should be addressed in pms.

I remember when I was new, and submitted recipes to share, and there was no reply/response on the Board or otherwise, prior to the Karma system. I felt an outsider.

I hope newcomers will continue to use the Karma system, to let fellow-members know their posts are appreciated and make everyone feel they have something valuable to contribute. I have noticed the Karma system may have been misconstrued by certain members, when I've received karma saying 'tag, you're it.' The points don't mean anything to me, but a sign of appreciation does go a long way. I much prefer being acknowledged for my contributions here - on the Board - rather than Karma.

I had never heard of neg Karma, until reading about it on the Board, recently. IMO, karma should only be a positive thing - not something to be taken away from. It defeats the purpose of what Karma is supposed to be about. Is negative Karma given out by admin? I would think that would be addressed one on one.

For the newbies and the oldies - if you see a recipe contribution shared by a fellow member, a nice gesture is to acknowledge and thank them, or at the least say I'd like to give it a try.

Last edited:
Karma is meant to be something that adds to the site for those who wish to use it. If you don't want to, you don't have to.

To address the comments of those of you who want to see the positive comments on the boards; sometimes my comments are not suitable for a PG site. :LOL: That for me is the plus of the karma system. I use both, I will post my response to a post that I appreciate, and I will use karma as well.

As for the negative karma, only Helpers and Admins can administer negative karma. I can only speak for how I use this, but I am sure most of the others will agree. I use it when there has been some nasty or derogatory remark on the boards and that person has received feedback about it but rather than apologizing for offending, they further offend. I can count the number of times I have given out negative karma on one hand. Since I have a fair amount of karma points built up, that can be a pretty big hit. Sometimes that is enough of a wake up call to get that person to take a look at their behaviour and change it. We as moderators will use every tool we have to keep this site pleasant for all.

In conclusion, if you don't like the karma thing, ignore it. Those of us who like it, will continue to use it.

Alix said:
Karma is meant to be something that adds to the site for those who wish to use it. If you don't want to, you don't have to.

To address the comments of those of you who want to see the positive comments on the boards; sometimes my comments are not suitable for a PG site. :LOL: That for me is the plus of the karma system. I use both, I will post my response to a post that I appreciate, and I will use karma as well.

As for the negative karma, only Helpers and Admins can administer negative karma. I can only speak for how I use this, but I am sure most of the others will agree. I use it when there has been some nasty or derogatory remark on the boards and that person has received feedback about it but rather than apologizing for offending, they further offend. I can count the number of times I have given out negative karma on one hand. Since I have a fair amount of karma points built up, that can be a pretty big hit. Sometimes that is enough of a wake up call to get that person to take a look at their behaviour and change it. We as moderators will use every tool we have to keep this site pleasant for all.

In conclusion, if you don't like the karma thing, ignore it. Those of us who like it, will continue to use it.

Alix, I luv ya, yes I do... but can we agree to disagree that this is not, imo, what karma should be about. It should be about expressing appreciation (and not a PG remark one can't post on the board), and not a way of dealing with a member who is out of line. That, I feel, should be handled by admin in a pm. Using every tool available in dealing with someone who is out of line - is not, again, imo, what karma is about.

I would like to see members (particularly new members) use the karma system, it helps to let your fellow members know your post/contribution is appreciated.

I remember when i frist came on this site, many members came from the Foodnetwork, and were already friendly with one another. As many times as I tried sharing recipes, jokes etc, I felt the outsider - no reply. I am happy to see new members, and the old, and the karma system. Imo, it was set up to make everyone feel appreciated & that this site was not a clique personal chat room for displaced members from another site, shut down. By all means, I say use it... but let's clarify what it's being used for. It is, afterall, a cooking site, and saying something positive about sharing a recipe/input is always apprecited on my behalf - rather than an off-topic chat praise.

Last edited:
mish said:
can we agree to disagree that this is not, imo, what karma should be about. It should be about expressing appreciation (and not a PG remark one can't post on the board), and not a way of dealing with a member who is out of line. That, I feel, should be handled by admin in a pm. Using every tool available in dealing with someone who is out of line - is not, again, imo, what karma is about.

We can most definitely agree to disagree mish. You state very clearly that this is your opinion. You have yours, I have mine, and I am certain there are others who have slightly different feeling from either one of us.

As for the negative Karma, I respectfully submit that since you are not a Helper or an Admin you don't know all the various things that go on "behind the curtain" in terms of how we deal with folks who "get out of line." I'm not going to justify my use of negative karma. Those who have had it, deserved it. Its just one more tool for us to use, and that is my opinion. I will continue to use it as I see fit, as I would far rather get my point across that way than resorting to banning a member.

Karma is just a fun tool. It's like a present. If you don't know how to look at your karma click on User CP in the first dark line across the top of the page. Click on that. First it will show you the threads you are subscribed to then below are your karma comments.

Only a few times do we resort to negative karma. Like Alix said sometimes that is what gets someone's attention when other things fail. It usually works.

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon
You come and go, you come and go
Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream
Red gold and green, red gold and green

Sorry, feeling silly today.:LOL:

Only a few times do we resort to negative karma. Like Alix said sometimes that is what gets someone's attention when other things fail. It usually works.
Or when Ken gets out of line... heeheehee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom