Keeping away the skunks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
We have a skunk that likes to use our garage as shelter during bad weather and sometimes at night. (S)he's a pretty mellow creature, hasn't sprayed either the hubby or I even though it's surprised us both a couple times by just suddenly being there. The problem is, we want to start storing some stuff in the garage as we prepare to move and we'd really rather not have the critter in there while doing this. We don't need to get to the new place and start unpacking a bunch of stuff that smells like skunk. We don't want to hurt the creature, just get it to stop using our garage. Anybody have any suggestions?

I've seen repellant recipes online that called for boiling down an obnoxious number of hot peppers and their seeds to really concentrate the capsaicin and then poor it around wherever you want to repel the skunk but I don't know if that would actually be affective and don't want to waste good hot peppers on it if it's not going to work. Another supposed repellent is to spread human urine in the area but that's just gross and I doubt the hubby is going to want to stand outside and pee all over the garage door. And I'm certainly not going to do it either. So, yeah, if anyone has any TNT methods, please let me know.

The best way would be to seal the building--block any possible entrances with chicken wire. (Be sure Ms. Flower is not in there when you do it!) As far as I know, skunks don't climb, so the barrier would not have to be very high. They do dig, so bend the bottom 6 inches of the fencing outward.

Mothballs or moth crystals might discourage her, and this info from UC-Davis says that ammonia might work--I would buy a bottle and pour it around any entrances to the garage.

Skunks Management Guidelines--UC IPM

you can always buy or rent a humane trap to catch little pepe le pew, but be sure to rig a tarp or heavy blanket that can be dropped over the trap from a distance, one which is disposable. bait the trap with a halved apple covered in peanut butter.

when caught, drive him a least 5 miles from your home to release him, again very carefully. less than that and he has a good chance of finding his way back.

he might not seem like a problem yet, but when he starts to poop everywhere and may start a family in your garage, he won't be as cute.

Oh it's very cute, from a distance. But I have no delusions that this creature is "good" to have around, at least not in my garage. Out in the woods, sure. In my garage, ummm, no.

Call your dog officer. If he won't deal with it, he will be able to direct you to where you can get help.

I read years ago, where, if you use a trap, make sure it's low enough so the little dear can't raise her tail to spray. Also read they like cat food or tuna as bait.

Many years ago a colleague had one living under her house. She was frantic, animal control refused to deal with it, and she was really upset coming to work smelling like skunk every day. As were the rest of us. I think they had to go to a motel. I don't recall how they eventually took care of the problem. She was from a very small town with limited community resources. Hopefully animal or pest control can help you if you can't trap her!

Have not seen any ads for a Skunk Whisperer....

did you ever find a can of shoe polish or spray paint in an odd place in the house? makeup missing?

I'm sorry I could not offer any help YW but skunks are not indigenous here it the UK, the nearest I have is my 130 lbs dog Max, I find feeding him charcoal biscuits helps a bit.

I have not tried it, but I know of several members on another forum who say a transistor radio tuned into a rock station will drive them away if they have taken up residence under a building. Something about the sound waves.

Claire said:
I don't see where you live, but a lot of places have animal control officers for the purpose.

I live in the upper penninsula of Michigan. I was in a mood when I filled in my location. Although I really do spend a lot of time in my own mind and sometimes even get lost there.

As for the skunk, we finished cleaning out the garage and moved the garbage bins away from it so there aren't anymore cubbies for it to hide in. The local animal control said they don't deal with them and to ask the DNR who to contact. We're going to try the hot pepper reppelant stuff and look at traps. Unfortunately we don't really have a way to block the entrance to the garage. The door slides open sideways and has about an 8 inch gap at the bottom.

purple.alien.giraffe said:
I live in the upper penninsula of Michigan. I was in a mood when I filled in my location. Although I really do spend a lot of time in my own mind and sometimes even get lost there.

As for the skunk, we finished cleaning out the garage and moved the garbage bins away from it so there aren't anymore cubbies for it to hide in. The local animal control said they don't deal with them and to ask the DNR who to contact. We're going to try the hot pepper reppelant stuff and look at traps. Unfortunately we don't really have a way to block the entrance to the garage. The door slides open sideways and has about an 8 inch gap at the bottom.

Yikes! Sounds like a roll of chicken wire or window screen jammed into the gap might help. Eight inches will let a small child or a pygmy goat in.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom