Kitchen clean-up rituals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ever since I had the Norovirus, I have become fanatical about keepinig the counter tops and bathroom clean. More like an obsession. And I can't stand salt or sugar granules on the counter. I am always running my hands over the counter tops to see if there are any. I use the surgical wipes that I got from Winthrop to wipe down the counter tops and faucet handles in both rooms. Since I make it a point to not invite folks into my apartment, I am not concerned with appearances. Right now there is a sinkful of silverware waiting to be washed by hand. I have been having problems with my blood pressure dropping all week. And I can't stand for a long period of time. The silverware will get washed today. I use paper plates mostly. So that helps to cut down on the dishwashing. If I were in better health, it would take me about an hour to clean the whole apartment. The kitchen is the easiest to clean. Mainly because I throw my food in the oven or microwave. All garbage goes down the disposal, except for bones. I use paper towels for hand wiping and wiping dry the counter tops. I think I have only two dish towels. I never take them out.

I have the Shark steam cleaner. I plug it in and clean any floor spots right away. It sits in the kitchen. If any pan goes into the sink, it gets filled with hot water. Makes cleaning much easier.

I equate cleaning the kitchen and bathroom together. Because those are the two rooms that will create the most health problems. I clean the kitchen first, then the bathroom. For some strange reason, I find myself cleaning the bathtub even if I haven't taken a shower since the last time. I usually clean it right after I take a shower. Then I clean it again the next day before I take a shower. I know. I am weird. :wacko:

I dont exactly have a ritual, I just make sure everything is clean always. I am kind of anal about my kitchen, more so then the rest of the house. I had a cousin who had a very dirty kitchen and my brother and I would attempt to find out which dish she had cooked at the family reunions so we could avoid it. I understand that someone with a clean kitchen can refuse to wash their hands etc... but it was just the thought of it. I dont ever want anyone to think that I am dirty where they will be eating, when I cook or even to put the thought in their head when they come over!

After I typed this, I went into my kitchen. I have dishes in the sink, a full dishwasher that needs emptied and my countertop needs wiped off a little bit. :ermm::LOL:

I have my Shark Eurpro steamer plugged in (the canister model--looks as if it is no longer available in NA). I'm getting the grunge that collects on window sills cleaned, doing the inside windows, and then will attack the bathroom. I agree, Addie, when you've had a virus or bacteria enter your life, you get more anal about things. I wish I could buy bleach and vinegar in 55 gal drums...

I think I would like to hire you CWS to clean my kitchen. I cleaned the kitchen from last nights dinner this morning. It seems my kitchen is never closed for the night either.

I think I would like to hire you CWS to clean my kitchen. I cleaned the kitchen from last nights dinner this morning. It seems my kitchen is never closed for the night either.
It is raining today--so can't get out to the farm and the garden. Tomorrow. So, time to do some of the stuff I didn't do when I took the house back. Grunge in the window sills is one of those things...

CWS4322 said:
It is raining today--so can't get out to the farm and the garden. Tomorrow. So, time to do some of the stuff I didn't do when I took the house back. Grunge in the window sills is one of those things...

I really do need to adopt you or something. I'm not sure if I want all of the girls though. ;)

My house looks terrible--in the summer, I am outside until dark, unless it rains. And of course, it has not rained enough to keep me inside this summer. The kitchen is pretty clean, my Mom runs the vacuum once in a while, and I de-clutter as I zoom thru getting dressed in the morning. But any real cleaning has to wait til the garden is put to bed in the fall.

I hear you, SG. I spot clean--today it was the window sills (having the steamer makes it an easy task). The IRoomba is running around right now. I'll steam the floors and then head out to the farm once the girls go to bed. They will be locked down tomorrow, so I have to make sure they have enough food and water before I can leave.

:LOL::LOL:

I have a ritual at the end of the day:
1. Turn out the lights leaving the oven fan light on for burglars.

That pretty much covers it.:ermm:

Kinda like the car I left unlocked hoping someone would steal the cassette player...

:LOL:

I clean as I go, and pretty much try to have a clean kitchen when I wake up in the morning. It doesn't always end up that way, but pretty close. :)

I clean as I go, and pretty much try to have a clean kitchen when I wake up in the morning. It doesn't always end up that way, but pretty close. :)
That's the root of my problem--I do not want to wake up and have to clean the kitchen before I can have breakfast. I also do not want to come back from being at the farm and have to clean the kitchen before I can process any of the produce I've brought back. I just can't get motivated in the morning if I have to tackle the kitchen first. I too clean as I go, but I certainly don't remove the burner rings and clean under them while I'm cooking, that is s/thing I do at the end of the day, right before I close the kitchen for the night...I leave the light over the stove on so I won't trip over a Saint Bernard in the dark...

We are the same Cheryl and we always do the dishes and have the kitchen clean before going to bed ;)

Back
Top Bottom