Kitchen Nightmares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I missed episode of Kitchen Nightmares this week with Chef Ramsay. I always look forward to seeing and hearing him as he is very strict with the people who want to be chefs at one of his restaurants. However, he was scheduled to be on Conan O'Brien and taped this show. He always demonstrates some kind of recipe and wants the host and guests to get involved but I believe they do this all for fun. Most of the show was bleeped as they all started using unacceptable words. Guess cooking bothers these guys too like when I drop something expensive or break an egg and only want white or yellow. Everything done like stone age in my kitchen. Main thing is I do get to feed this crowd and they never know the effort involved.

I admit most of you have commented in the past you don't care for Ramsay. I however, feel his frustration at lack of effort or interest. I do believe these contestants are told what to expect from him while on this show. I cannot help but feel sorry for most but Ramsay DEMANDS the BEST!

Another thing, I wonder how this guy stays in such good shape? What a body! No 'overhang' on him. Has such a flat stomach. Only give credit where credit is due. Once again, I know most of DC doesn't care for his personality, but we should all be just a 'little' of what he expects. I believe he practices what he preaches. He is what he is!

Just my personal opinion.

I don't mind Ramsay at all, really. The chefs at school and during my apprenticeship were no different than he is. Very demanding of perfection, often foul mouthed, but so good at what they do. It think it just comes with the territory.

I stayed away from his latest show "The F Word" until a couple of weeks ago when all I could do was lay around and watch TV. Once I got into the concept I kind of like it. My favourite so far is the four female ER doctors. They have blown everyone else out of the water.

Judging from that show I think he stays in shape by chasing his pigs around the yard. :pig::LOL:

I like Chef Ramsey. I don't like the F Word much, but I did enjoy seeing him buying the turkeys and bringing them home etc to teach his children where food really comes from.

Edited to add:

I do believe these contestants are told what to expect from him while on this show.

I watched the season opener, and was very surprised to see some of the people that had been chosen. Some had absolutely no line experience. It really made me wonder what the criteris was. Was it done knowing they would fail, and make for contoversary? I don't know, but I was surprised, and disapointed with that aspect. To me, it should have been a fairly even playing ground.

I watched the season opener, and was very surprised to see some of the people that had been chosen. Some had absolutely no line experience. It really made me wonder what the criteris was. Was it done knowing they would fail, and make for contoversary? I don't know, but I was surprised, and disapointed with that aspect. To me, it should have been a fairly even playing ground.

I agree with that. I didn't see the opener, but the one this week with four "brainy" Oxford students as hard to watch. I guess that is why I liked the doctors. They didn't take any guff from Ramsey (they have seen it all) and they were good - got the highest number of payees to date.

InThe Kitchen - you are confusing shows here.

"Kitchen Nightmares" is Ramsay's show where he visits a failing restaurant & revamps it.

His show "The F Word" is the show where he has contestants who "might" be asked to return to work at his restaurant.

Then there's "Hell's Kitchen", which is where he literally beats the living h*ll out of student chefs. This is the only one of his shows that I refuse to watch. The abuse is too much.

I'm actually a big fan of Gordon. He's one of the reasons I tried getting back into trying to cook!

Oh I lreally ike him, the chef ... just not him, the personality. I find it disengaging to constantly hear bleeps in any show. I also find it unnecessary. I am a hothead, and completely understand losing it in the heat of the moment. But I can't help but wonder if he doesn't embellish it to the Nth degree for effect. I think you can be very good at what you do without belittling or abusing the person next to you, especially if you are trying to train them.

I most enjoy when he helps the restaurants, because some of them are really, truly clueless. And there's always something special he does for them to show he has a soft side. I imagine he's quite the harda** to work with, no question.

My experience with trained chefs (please don't take offense people) is that the ole ego takes over sometimes. Some of that is pride in representing themselves. And some of it is just plain bullishness (take Bourdain). We mere mortals tend to get a bit full of ourselves in certain aspects of our lives and some seem to handle it better than others, lol.

InThe Kitchen - you are confusing shows here.

"Kitchen Nightmares" is Ramsay's show where he visits a failing restaurant & revamps it.

His show "The F Word" is the show where he has contestants who "might" be asked to return to work at his restaurant.

Then there's "Hell's Kitchen", which is where he literally beats the living h*ll out of student chefs. This is the only one of his shows that I refuse to watch. The abuse is too much.

I agree, Breezy ... Kitchen Nightmares doesn't have contestants - just failing restaurants that he tries to save by figuring out the problems and attempting to get the owners/staff to correct them.

He is crude, rude, crass and over the top ... but maybe you sometimes need those qualities to get the point across to stubborn people set in their ways? When it comes to Hell's Kitchen ... well, you know what you're getting into when you sign up.

Only problem I have is that unless I'm watching it on cable then 25% of the audio is *BLEEPED*!

My sister had a friend who was invited and tried out for Hell's Kitchen. If I recall, they are weeding and downright profiling for the effect they want on that show. They're looking for things to set him off. Regardless of who actually has the chops, they still need that entertainment factor, and that will always include a few doozies. Look at Idol and Biggest Loswer, same thing. IMHO, that is. ;)

You got it! Hell's Kitchen! How appropriate is that name? Describes it pretty well when the contestants have to experience the abuse they do.

I would surely like to have my kitchen as spotless and clean the way he expects.

One question: You think his wife knows how to cook or does she even have to? He said on an interview that when he was first starting to cook, he had an affair with his bosses wife! How low was that? Really was shock to hear him even admit it. ( I know his mother probably heard that!)

Ah, but Babetoo - which of his shows did you watch that led you to that assumption. Frankly, he really isn't a "jerk" in all of his shows.

I like Ramsey but wish that he could stop the F word, jumping around like he has ants in his pants and slapping his hands together :)

He is a funny guy, I don't like the F word in places because he really fawns over celebrities.

BTW Tania, his wife does cook. One of the interviews over here said they each have their own kitchen. She does much of the day to day cooking at home

you watch whatever you can in KZ------and believe it or not that is one of the shows that is on........yes, bleeps and all..........probably 3 years old at least.......that's all we get........if he can turn a restaurant around then good for him..........bad language is unfortunate but it is used in so many different places........I found myself apologizing for using h*** to my doctor's receptionist.......it's just commonplace overseas.....oh well that's how the wheel turns.........I watch the comedy channel here in the states and some of the comedians you can't even understand 'cause half their routines are bleeped out........they might as well clean it up instead...........

I thank you all for the comments. I have gotten used to the language he uses but in his position who knows what we all would do. The Kitchen Nightmares show, has the owners of restaurant crying and telling him how much they are so grateful he helped them out. I know Ramsay himself actually seems moved by the reaction he gets after making changes in the routine. I can't help but wonder what I would say if I had some of those people in my kitchen. Also, some I definitely feel sorry for the way he does seem to abuse them. (My ex husband was always criticizing me but I wasn't trying to work in restaurant!)

So his wife has her own kitchen. See? There is way to resolve every problem if you can afford it.

I only wish I could maintain his discipline about cleanliness and the dishes I prepare.

Back
Top Bottom