Kitchen size - I bet you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's almost 5pm, time to get to work in my dinky kitchen lol!

Yes, there are some of us that will toil away in spite of our kitchen's downfalls.
That or start grilling out more :LOL:

I can't afford to move because of my kitchen :rolleyes: I have a really nice bedroom :)

I like Uncle Bob's "kitchen".
We haven't seen any pictures of that lately.
Now that is a beautiful kitchen :)

for the 3 years of my residency, i was renting a little rowhome in baltimore. the kitchen was a whole lot like the one you've posted, Saphellae: microscopic, craptacular paint job, NO storage for anything. only difference was if you'll imagine yours stretched out into a straight line in a little skinny room instead of a box. NO counter space, literally: apparently, in the 50s, they figured that all you needed was a half-meter drain board molded as one piece of metal with the single sink. i had to buy a ginormous counter-depth cutting board from ikea to serve as a counter, and sat it on one side of said drain board (other side being used for it's intended function, to hold the dish drying rack, as there was certainly no dishwasher in that tiny cave). i had to flip the cutting board every time i scrubbed it down completely because it would warp due to the underlying tilt of the drain board. the microwave and toaster oven were balanced on a very tiny, very narrow cheap pine shelving unit on the non-applianced wall...you could easily touch everything by standing in the center.

but i've since moved down to the burbs of d.c. for my real job, and the kitchen was one of the things i loved best about this house:

it's not my super dream kitchen, but it suits me just fine...it is after all, just me living here. i love my big sunny back porch door, my warm sandy-colored tile, my shiny new gas stove, and that lovely mahogany color to the cabinets. and of course, plenty of space for the 44-bottle wine rack! i like the big, open feel to it, which means when i'm having a dinner party, everyone piles up in the kitchen to chat while i cook. someday, there will be a bigger space, with a lovely butcher block island (i'm jealous for sure of some of the amazing pics upstream in this thread!), but it works great for now.

Last edited:
DH took some pix for me. They turned out pretty blurred so I'm disappointed but you can sorta tell what it looks like.
What you'll see if I can upload these that is.......
1. my ''kitchen store'' aka pantry, yep, full and bulging at the seams
2. the door that closes the pantry which is also full
3. some pots I got at yard sales or used stores on my 6 burner KitchenAide
4. a small percentage of my collection of cookbooks and on top the very old balsamic vinegar and the various truffle oils, plus old kitchen gadgets
5. my island with marble insert for breads/pastry dough/cookies/etc
6. and just for kicks, I know you all want to see some of my newest prized possessions............aka.................butter dishes! I have two more from today and two more coming from eBAY

i love the blue sofa. where did u get it?

babe:)

for the 3 years of my residency, i was renting a little rowhome in baltimore. the kitchen was a whole lot like the one you've posted, Saphellae: microscopic, craptacular paint job, NO storage for anything. only difference was if you'll imagine yours stretched out into a straight line in a little skinny room instead of a box. NO counter space, literally: apparently, in the 50s, they figured that all you needed was a half-meter drain board molded as one piece of metal with the single sink. i had to buy a ginormous counter-depth cutting board from ikea to serve as a counter, and sat it on one side of said drain board (other side being used for it's intended function, to hold the dish drying rack, as there was certainly no dishwasher in that tiny cave). i had to flip the cutting board every time i scrubbed it down completely because it would warp due to the underlying tilt of the drain board. the microwave and toaster oven were balanced on a very tiny, very narrow cheap pine shelving unit on the non-applianced wall...you could easily touch everything by standing in the center.

but i've since moved down to the burbs of d.c. for my real job, and the kitchen was one of the things i loved best about this house:

it's not my super dream kitchen, but it suits me just fine...it is after all, just me living here. i love my big sunny back porch door, my warm sandy-colored tile, my shiny new gas stove, and that lovely mahogany color to the cabinets. and of course, plenty of space for the 44-bottle wine rack! i like the big, open feel to it, which means when i'm having a dinner party, everyone piles up in the kitchen to chat while i cook. someday, there will be a bigger space, with a lovely butcher block island (i'm jealous for sure of some of the amazing pics upstream in this thread!), but it works great for now.

What I want to know is: How the heck you keep all those wine bottles corked? :angel:

Bloo is always underfoot. LOL

Now I miss my Springer! Phe-Phe (her nickname, full name was Ophelia), was the same way, following me everywhere I went. Where you found me, you found her, and that includes the bathroom and shower, LOL.

Jeekinz, i have no powers whatsoever at keeping those bottles corked. it being just me (and thusly unable to really consume all 44 bottles in one evening), i manage to keep it sort-of stocked ;)

Oh, I love looking at everyone's kitchens! The kitchen is always my favorite room in any house. I have posted a pic of my kitchen on another thread, but here it is. To appreciate how far we have come, I've also posted a picture taken the day we moved in, almost two years ago,
301356238_fb133bcf3e.jpg
2457845727_55cb582212.jpg

I love the brightness in my little kitchen - it is not fancy, but it suits my needs perfectly.

Last edited:
Oh, I love looking at everyone's kitchens! The kitchen is always my favorite room in any house. I have posted a pic of my kitchen on another thread, but here it is. To appreciate how far we have come, I've also posted a picture taken the day we moved in, almost two years ago,

I love the brightness in my little kitchen - it is not fancy, but it suits my needs perfectly.

Wow, Karen, that's amazing. I love the brightness, too. Great colors. That certainly was a lot of work.

I can't think of anything different to say; Wow.... what a transformation!
It gives folks like me inspiration!

Ah gee - thanks, guys! It was pretty grim when we first moved in - the house was just a shell. You had to be able to imagine what it could look like. You can see our patio through the back door, with a big lichee tree right in the middle. When we moved in, it was just a sea of mud and garbage. Now it is our dining room/living room. We are very happy with the results, but there is still lots of work to do.........

304674512_98d64ab0c5.jpg

Here's mine, in all it's little ugliness.
It's functional though, if I dont have anyone in there with me!
The big island helps, at some point we will extend the sink counter
and the island will be moved over about 2 feet to end at almost the deck door.
And someday we will also have a deck.....

Oh, and my kids are hams like the dog is. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2591.JPG
    IMG_2591.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 178
Suzi, I love your kitchen. The cupboards are very nice.

Karen, your kitchen is so fun! It's so Mexican too! Reminds me of a tex-mex design. I adore bright kitchens and yours takes the cake!

no matter how big the kitchen would be, it would be too small for me. I have too much stuff and if i had biger kitchen i would get even more stuff, i love pots/pans/gedgets. It's crazy, it's adiction.

Back
Top Bottom