Kitten Explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyCatLady

Sous Chef
Back in June when a neighbor's house burnt, I rescued three tiny kittens from the house. They are ten months old now; two boys and a girl.

We've had some severe weather where the power has gone out, but we have a whole-house generator connected to the gas line. The generator kicks on when the power is off for more than three minutes.

The problem is that the generator sounds like a cross between an earthquake and a disgruntled Teamster when it starts up. Once it cycles down, you hardly hear it at all.

Our power went out, and all three kittens were piled up on top of each other on the couch when the generator kicked on. All of a sudden I had a kitten explosion; all three of them flew up off the couch and took off in three different directions. One flew under the guest room bed, another landed in the bathtub, and the third tried to make herself one with the china cabinet.

I guess you would have had to be here when it happened but mercy, I laughed my head off!

My five adult cats slept through the whole thing. They're used to it. LOL!

Back in June when a neighbor's house burnt, I rescued three tiny kittens from the house. They are ten months old now; two boys and a girl.

We've had some severe weather where the power has gone out, but we have a whole-house generator connected to the gas line. The generator kicks on when the power is off for more than three minutes.

The problem is that the generator sounds like a cross between an earthquake and a disgruntled Teamster when it starts up. Once it cycles down, you hardly hear it at all.

Our power went out, and all three kittens were piled up on top of each other on the couch when the generator kicked on. All of a sudden I had a kitten explosion; all three of them flew up off the couch and took off in three different directions. One flew under the guest room bed, another landed in the bathtub, and the third tried to make herself one with the china cabinet.

I guess you would have had to be here when it happened but mercy, I laughed my head off!

My five adult cats slept through the whole thing. They're used to it. LOL!

That description is perfect. I can just see them flying under their own power to the nearest safe place that they think will save them. :angel:

Love it! As I was reading your post, I thought you were going to report a "kitten explosion" as a result of some, um, begatting on the part of your new young residents. Glad to see, so far, that's not been the case, although they are close to the perfect age for that.

Your description was perfect and, like Addie, I could visualize all the flying about and scurrying for safety. Aren't they fun?

When I was at my Dad's when my stepmom had her accident and had just come home from rehab, momma cat and the 3 kittens were on the screened porch because there were lots of people visiting and we didn't want them getting out in the confusion. The lawn people came to do their job. Suddenly, someone yelled for me. Momma cat was at the top of the screen, about 8' high, and the kittens were nowhere to be found. They were in this old end table that was open at bottom with drawers and were all huddled up in 1 of the drawers. I had to yell at the lawn people to stop the mowers so that momma cat would come down from the top of the screen and I could get the kittens out w/o being clawed to death. They went into my bedroom for the remainder of the "visiting time."

Last edited:
Love it! As I was reading your post, I thought you were going to report a "kitten explosion" as a result of some, um, begatting on the part of your new young residents. Glad to see, so far, that's not been the case, although they are close to the perfect age for that.

Your description was perfect and, like Addie, I could visualize all the flying about and scurrying for safety. Aren't they fun?

They are a hoot! They are all fixed -- for my own protection -- and they do the hallway surfing on the runner. The problem is that we have hardwood floors so when they jump off the runner they have no traction so they slam themselves into the linen closet. I've never seen such a bunch of dingbats.

Not only that but at treat time, we separate the three from our five adult cats. Now I know why I've never had more than two kittens at a time. With two, you can scoop them up, open the guest room door with their treats, and run away.

Not so with three. It's that danged third one who decides to be independent, and that gives you a whole other meaning to the term "herding cats."

The kittens are 10 months old and one of them, a big black one named Buster, already weighs in at a whopping 15 pounds. He came down with a cold and colds can be deadly to cats because they don't breathe well through their mouths like dogs do. So I call the vet and tell them I'm bringing one of the kittens, Buster.

So I'm dragging this 15-pound monster out of the crate by his hind legs when the vet comes in. He took one look at him and said, That's a kitten? I thought I was going to see a kitten. That's not a kitten, that's a panther!"

I said, "Yeah, yeah, I know. We had a little issue with him getting into the Miracle-Gro in the garage. Dang, I'll be darned, I thought that stuff only worked on tomatoes."

Anyway, he's fine now.

His brother, who we call Tuxy, is a perfect black and white tuxedo with very long fur and a plume of a tail and, even down to the milk mustache. He's a narcissist. He preens in front of our mirrored closet doors for hours. Our daughter didn't even spend that much time in front of mirrors. Geez!

Molly, their little sister is tiny. I'm guessing she was the runt. We nicknamed her the Princess because she refused to go out the dog door between the kitchen and the garage where the pet area is. We had to open the door for her and finally I gave up and shoved her little self through the door.

Molly got even. Hubby borrowed my credit card and left it on the kitchen table. I had given up and so I went to the garage to clean the litterboxes...and there was Molly burying my credit card.

It must have been a hint!:LOL:

LOL they are! "Some, um, begatting..." made me laugh and spit Coke through my nose.

They're fixed...for my own protection. :ermm:

Coke coming out of your nose is understood to come from the Coca Cola company...LOL!

I certainly hope so!

But I got this visual: Imagine if I had been snorting coke (the drug) then read Katie's post. I guess I would have wasted a hundred dollars...or whatever it costs! LOL!

I'll think twice about the next time I try a new dish and it flops. Not a good idea to say it's gone to pot. :LOL:

I certainly hope so!

But I got this visual: Imagine if I had been snorting coke (the drug) then read Katie's post. I guess I would have wasted a hundred dollars...or whatever it costs! LOL!

I'll think twice about the next time I try a new dish and it flops. Not a good idea to say it's gone to pot. :LOL:

I have a picture of a crab fighting being put in the pot and yelling, "Just say NO to Pot!

Back
Top Bottom