Landlord probs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all the replies everyone. That really helps me out. I do go to IU, and I think I am going to check out the Student Legal Services. That cat left less than an hour after the landlord threw her fit, and has not returned. The exterminators came today, but i haven't had to pay up yet. I did talk to the landlord, and she left me a note while I was away from the house (b/c of the insecticide), and it sounded to me like she was just brushing me off... but then again, she didn't say anything about the payment for the exterminator not being there either.

The thing I am worried about, which some of you mentioned... is things escalating to the point where I have to move out, or am evicted or soemthing... and the can't happen b/c I've got summer class, and nowhere else to go. I think I'll see how things play out, and probably try to pay a portion of the bill, b/c I don't need to be thrown out.

I would not pay for anything. They have no proof that your animal did ANYTHING. Let THEM prove it. Period. Though Im not a lawyer, I think that you are not at fault. It MUST be proven. If they want a secuity deposit, fine. other wise the heck with them!

I spent a couple of summers at IU living in a sublet and working at McDonalds :ohmy: !!

Student Legal Sevices will definitely give you the right answer concerning this problem. Landlord/Tenant is probably their most frequent issue.

It used to be on 7th street by the Sigma Chi house but who knows where it is now.

Please send us some Special K Chewies when you get the chance.

At risk of sounding stupid, if I remember correctly from my working-for-a-vet days, fleas cannot live without a host for very long. Either the landlord happened by right after the pet left, is bilking you, or you need to vacuum more often to get those dead fleas and flea poop out, which is what the landlord may be going by. The fleas will lay eggs, but the following generation will die very quickly if there isn't anything to live in besides your carpet and furniture. But I think this entire cycle is very short. BTW, there are great products available for flea control on the animals.

yep, you're right claire (wanna-be vet here). 4 of our cats came from outdoors or shelters, and all had problems when we first took them in, ranging from tapeworm to fleas. the tapeworm was so bad in one of them that i actually saw dried and live segments of the worm coming out his butt. (the dried segments looked like sesame seeds. it still bothers me to use them in cooking. if anyone finds sesame seed looking things on a spot that the cat lays in a lot, you may need to get them checked out.)

but i remember the vet saying that the fleas need a host. they can't live long without one. and they are only able to live in the environs of a dog or cats coat. they will not infest humans due to our body temp and lack of hair, but you may get bitten.

ok, sorry to have taken this discussion to a kinda gross level. now back to college cook's dilemma...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom