Lawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Until this year, I have never watered my lawn. Why? Because no one in this neighborhood does. Guess the term, monkey see applies. The man who treated my lawn (first time)_ told me to water in morning 45 minutes before sun comes out, three times week. Since it has been so awfully dry here and hot 90+ I have been doing what he advised. My question: do any of you water your lawn and if so, morning or night. My brother feels at night gets chance to soak in. If this is true, why did the service man tell me in the morning?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ahh, lawn care - something dear to my heart! We lost alot of our lawn in the drought a couple years ago - after alot of seeding and hard work - you bet I water! I heard early morning or early evening is good - I prefer night because of my schedule. I heard that it is better to water your lawn a couple times a week for a long time instead of often for a short time - just what I heard.

Water in the AM to prevent mold and root system stress.

You need to water enough for it to soak in. Watering during the day, in full sun, is a waste because the moisture has no chance really soak the roots.

Last edited:
Here is what I know.. And you can take it for what it's worth. I too love taking care of my lawn.

Bear in mind, all of my research is north central region of the United States. So it could potentially be very different where you are.

First and foremost, giving your lawn the full amount of water. It was recommended in most places to make sure you give at least an inch of water to your lawn. This helps the roots grow much deeper. I use a Tuna can when I use the sprinkler. Once the Tuna Can fills up, I feel satisfied that I have given it enough water.

Part of watering in the morning versus the night is basically to promote a healthy growing cycle. Imagine if you drank 10 glasses of an energy drink at midnight. Assuming your not a night owl, we can say that you're not getting any value of the 10 glasses of energy drink. So, it just sits in your system, disappears.

Now drink those same 10 glasses in the morning when the sun is shining and all is well to begin your activity.

Grass is not much different. It has a period of the day (Namely when there's no sun) where it does not continue to drink water.

So watering in the morning is the perfect time because grass is starting to utilize that water.

Now, it was said to me that watering at night is better than not watering at all. The side effects are that you tend to lose some of the water as a waste. It is evaporated into the soil and the grass never utilized it. Worse yet, the water can actually produce a mold because it sits stagnant without getting used.

Watering in the mid morning, afternoon isn't all bad, however as I understand it, the problem there is that there is a chance that dew beads on grass from the water actually create a magnifying effect and can burn grass. I think worse than that is the chance that it evaporates because of the hot sun, so you're not getting you moneys worth.

As I said before, I am no expert by any means. A friend of mine is an owner of a local Irragation (Sprinkler System) installation business. He claims that he sets up 95% of his systems to water between 4:00am and 6:00am.

Hope this helps...

candlebc: boy this is so good to know an grateful you shared with me. I will surely continue to water in the morning. I get up at 5 even though not daylight and place sprinkler in same place I put before. Oh, for having something that wouldn't require moving and just to turn on. Maybe one day.

I have never watered this lawn before as my neighbors don't ever do it. I figured since most of them have been here longer than I have they knew better. Then I started seeing bare ground and weeds. Nothing to mow. how awful. I don't look close at anyone's lawn but mine. Maybe they have mostly weeds.

Since my neighbor used herbicide on his yard and killed 10 mature arborvitees, I am fearful that if I used chemical I may ruin his shrubs too. That is why I have this professional man coming to help get the lawn established. He intends to aerate the lawn this fall. Know what tha is? Said the lawn truly needs it. i do notice when I go by a nice neighborhood they all have their sprinklers going.

This weather is very hot and dry. I will just continue to water in the morning and inform my brother that it is better for the grass. I love the birds all coming to get water.

I am so thankful I come here and in less than day get quick response. Thanks to all of you for your understanding and time.

In the Kitchen said:
He intends to aerate the lawn this fall. Know what tha is? Said the lawn truly needs it.

They will most likely use a roller with a bunch of spikes on it. The spikes create holes in the soil so more moisture can get to the roots. My lawn is not too large so I use these 2-3 times a year and before I over seed in the spring.

Lawn Aerator Shoes

Another somewhat affordable thing you can do to your lawn is have the PH level tested.

There are a couple of common reasons what your PH/Acid Level may be off in your lawn:
- Soil Type
- Trees and Plants you have in your yard
- Pet Urine

What my Lawn Care Service will do is test my PH and let me know where I stand. Then, using a Drop Spreader, I put down lime as per their recommendation. Because of the trees in my yard, I end up putting powdered Lime 3 times a year, and pelletized lime once.

It's another somewhat affordable way to improve the "health" of your lawn.

Most people thing that lawn care is getting rid of weeds, but it's obviously much more involved.

About the Aerators - If the price is an issue, you can also usually rent gas powered aerators at a local rental facility. Lastly, I prefer PLUG aeration versus SPIKE. You may have seen a lawn that was plugged when it looks like little dog poop all over the lawn.

Lastly.. Consider Dethatching your lawn. This is pulling up the dead, matted grass that tends to lay down and get trapped. They make a Dethatching Rake that you can pick up at a home store, or you can also rent/buy devices to do the same thing. Dethatching can be important to promoting further growth, light, and water absorbtion. Some people claim that thatch can sit and like a sponge hold water instead of sending it where it needs to go.

Again, I am no pro.. Just several years of going the extra mile for that nice lawn.

-Brad

I forgot one additional note that has made a very big difference for me over the past couple of years.

When I started looking to create a more healthy lawn, I consulted with the Lawn Care Services about getting rid of the weeds. Of course it starts in the spring with a quality Crabgrass Preventer. That should stop anything that hasn't already germenated from starting to grow. Then there are several herbicides/chemicals to use throughout the year.

One of the most common suggestions I heard about lawn care was that you should cut your lawn at one of your mowers highest settings. This allows the thick pretty green grass to basically choke the shorter weeds out of the equation.

Well, that works very well for me, and I love not having any weeds in my lawn.

Just thought I would share another tip since I was on the topic.

-Brad

Ethnic Foods

I don't know why this was posted under Ehnic Foods! Valuable information here that others may want to have. I think the category is not right. thanks

candelbc said:
One of the most common suggestions I heard about lawn care was that you should cut your lawn at one of your mowers highest settings. This allows the thick pretty green grass to basically choke the shorter weeds out of the equation.

-Brad

That's right. Also only mow 1/3 of the lawn height.

candelbc said:
Lastly.. Consider Dethatching your lawn. This is pulling up the dead, matted grass that tends to lay down and get trapped. They make a Dethatching Rake that you can pick up at a home store, or you can also rent/buy devices to do the same thing. Dethatching can be important to promoting further growth, light, and water absorbtion. Some people claim that thatch can sit and like a sponge hold water instead of sending it where it needs to go.

Again, I am no pro.. Just several years of going the extra mile for that nice lawn.

-Brad

Aaah, can you tell me when the best time to dethatch is - spring or fall? And thank you for all the valuable information!

I think it mostly depends on the severity of the thatch... If I had to pick which is more important though, I would say the Spring.

Also, if you live in a climate that gets snow, make sure that the last time you mow for the season that you cut the grass as short as the mower will let you. This keeps grass from creating snow mold.

-Brad

Early spring March/April is the prime time followed by early fall September/October...Use a thatch rake. They can be bought or maybe rented. Plan on using plenty of old fashion elbow grease if this method is used....

Difference

What a difference watering makes on the lawn! Looked so yellow and dry and today has beautiful green color. The birds even seemed happy when I watered.

Now to look forward to built in sprinking system. Wouldn't that be great? I never paid much attention to them before. Dragging the hose from one place to another makes me wonder what life would be like without manual labor? I believe if you really want your lawn to look the best person should invest in one of them. Maybe in my dreams I can feel what it's like to have one. Sounds so wonderful to just turn a knob. I am grateful I have running water.

I appreciate all your thoughts about taking care of the lawn. When I listen to gardening show, there are so many commercials.

" told me to water in morning 45 minutes before sun comes out, three times week. "

We've had watering bans on and off all summer. The city is suggesting if you feel you must water the lawn, give it a good soaking once a week in the early morning. I haven't bothered, and neither have the neighbours. It saves a ton of money. :) We de-thatch in the spring,

Lawn Care - Once Again Proving We are as Dumb as We Look!

Just my $0.02. I think collectively as Americans the dumbest thing we do is mow our lawns. We gripe about $3.00 per gallon gas (and the price will get higher), extoll the virtues of organic and pesticide free food, and are warned every day in the summer about the ozone level. Then what do we do? We go home and spread pesticides and herbicides on our lawns around our gardens (your gardens not mine) and run gas guzzling mowers (calculate the mpg on your grass shortener sometime) without any catalytic converters. As for watering, just how much of that precious natural resource do you think is out there? The answer is less than you think regardless of where you live.
We must be nuts! :rolleyes:

If you want to de-thatch your lawn try this. In the spring right after the snow is off mix the following ingredients.

12 ounces beer (anything but light beer, un-pasteurized draft is best)
12 ounces cola (not diet, you need the sugar from real cola)
8 ounces non-sudsing household ammonia

Put in a hose sprayer and spray across the lawn. Wait one week and manually rake, If you are lucky there will be very little to rake as the thatch will self-compost in place thanks to this recipe. If you don't rake that is ok too because the first time you mow it should disappear in the mowing.

Thanks for letting me vent.:cool:

Mjk

That is what person likes to share is their feelings. I never have watered like I said as I did what the rest of the neighbors did. Now that I am in process of trying to get house ready to move, I have been told that the outside as well as the inside has to be appealing for someone to be interested. The way it was, had hardly no grass, mostly weeds and didn't have any reason to mow the lawn. So after many years of doing without maybe now I should make it look appealing for others. Even if we do not sell right away, the looks of a house is the way the people who live there like it. I admire green grass and I hope others will too. I try to be as 'natrual' about things as possibly acceptable but others aren't as accepting.

thanks for venting. Helps us both.

A couple of nights a week for 2 hours will do. And that's because we live in a hot and humid climate of about 105 degrees in summer. A good fertilizer twice a year will do wonders for the lawn as well. Keep using weed killers to keep the weeds from absorbing all the moisture out of your lawn. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom