Learning something new.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've never been one to use pre-packaged seasonings, mixes, sauces, etc. I've always enjoyed making things from scratch, usually inventing as I go. But we had a pot luck at work today, with a breakfast theme. One person made eggs benedict (I brought in an electric griddle) and used a pre-packaged hollandaise sauce mix. It was pretty good. Another co-worker made sausage and gravy, using a pre-made sauce mix. It was very good.

Now don't get me wrong. I will still make my food from scratch. But in a pinch, when I don't have time to make my own Hollandaise, or sausage gravy, or whatever, I might consider using a pre-made packet.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Agreed, also prefer making things from scratch but we had the best fishcakes ever tonight from the Woolworths frozen food section. Moist and full of nice big pieces of fish with loads of garlic and herbs! They make great pasta sauces in glass jars as well as yummy Custard Tarts etc.

You should really let yourself go sometime, GW :LOL:

Look at it like this, a lot of the prepackaged items were made from using a whole bunch of individual ingredients ;)

You should really let yourself go sometime, GW :LOL:

Look at it like this, a lot of the prepackaged items were made from using a whole bunch of individual ingredients ;)

But, it doesn't hurt to be picky about those packaged mixes...I don't buy anything a second time if I can do it better. If it is up to my standards...it takes it's place in my pantry.

Oh no, it doesn't hurt to be picky. I call it buying something you like. I won't buy Hunt's Catsup. I much prefer the flavor and texture of Heinz Ketchup. And making ketchup from scratch is probably pretty easy, but why not buy it already made? The making everything from scratch concept is pretty cool though, for those that make everything from scratch.

I like the concept of Sandra Lee's show, "Semi-Homemade." I'm not crazy about her, but the ideas are helpful for someone who doesn't have the time, energy or even the desire to do it all from scratch.

I like the concept of Sandra Lee's show, "Semi-Homemade." I'm not crazy about her, but the ideas are helpful for someone who doesn't have the time, energy or even the desire to do it all from scratch.

It beats fast food :chef:
I don't think any less of my homemade tacos because I tear open a packet of Ortega seasoning ;)
I actually tried making homemade taco seasoning. Nice flavor, but serious heartburn would follow. I don't get heartburn eating the packaged stuff that some say is too salty. Nothing wrong with shortcuts.
I think the whole concept of making eggs benedict for the office is cool enough in itself. Who cares if the hollandaise sauce came from a packet, lol.

I do too. Living single, it's impractical to make lots of things from scratch. I thought about making "real" gazpacho. I'd have to buy at least one of each of the fresh vegetables, and it would make more than I have room to store.

By using store brand chunky salsa, not only do I have all the veggies, already cut up, but they're still crunchy!

I also use a particular brand of taco seasoning mix. It gives me the flavor I like best consistently.

I do too. Living single, it's impractical to make lots of things from scratch. I thought about making "real" gazpacho. I'd have to buy at least one of each of the fresh vegetables, and it would make more than I have room to store.

By using store brand chunky salsa, not only do I have all the veggies, already cut up, but they're still crunchy!

I also use a particular brand of taco seasoning mix. It gives me the flavor I like best consistently.

What kind do you like? Around here there's McCormick's, Old El Paso and Ortega. I like Ortega's seasoning, but Old El Paso's shells (they are lighter, plus they come in a large size). So buying the taco dinner packages are out :LOL:

gw, you are a man out of sync with time.

most people are used to pre-packaged/semi-homemade foodstuffs and have to learn to cook from scratch. you're doing it the other way. :chef:

i will admit to making tom yum soup from a paste in a jar, with added fresh ingredients like chicken, scalions, and mushrooms. it's one of those things that actually taste better than what i can make from scratch.

Last edited:
My sister and I are compiling a cookbook for the young guys (and gals, too) who are living on their own and have no idea how to boil water. We are doing very basic recipes and methods along with some they can use to make changes.
I like homemade dressings, sauces, etc and most of the time I make them, however, I do keep on hand some shortcuts for when time is of the essence. One of my aunts commented once on my gravy saying she had never had such good gravy. She is well into her 80's and doesn't make gravy. How hard can good gravy be from scratch!!!

I used to make (note the past tense) my own Hollandaise from scratch for asparagus or eggs. One night, after a long day of fixing lunches for others, I was too tired and short on time. I was making seafood omelets for dinner and I picked up a package of Knorr Hollandaise for them. I hid the packets in the trash so Shrek might not notice that I had cheated. After our meal he commented that I had just served the BEST Hollandaise he had ever tasted.

I got the packets out of the trash to show him and have never made it from scratch again.:ROFLMAO:

What kind do you like? Around here there's McCormick's, Old El Paso and Ortega. I like Ortega's seasoning, but Old El Paso's shells (they are lighter, plus they come in a large size). So buying the taco dinner packages are out :LOL:

It's an off brand sold at Sav-A-Lot "Marcum" (39¢). I first bought it because it was cheap, but after trying all of the brands at one time or another, I prefer this brand because I like the taste best.

Wow, .39 is cheap. Nice price.

I've heard good things about that Knorr's Hollandaise sauce, PF.

pacanis said:
Wow, .39 is cheap. Nice price.

I've heard good things about that Knorr's Hollandaise sauce, PF.

Will give it a try! My mom called while she and I were both watching Ann Burrel making Eggs Benedict, wondering what Eggs Benedict was. I'll tell her about Knorr.

Will give it a try! My mom called while she and I were both watching Ann Burrel making Eggs Benedict, wondering what Eggs Benedict was. I'll tell her about Knorr.

They make all kinds of yummy sauces and can usually be found on the top shelf with the rest of the gravy and sauce packets. They are yellow and green.

PrincessFiona60 said:
They make all kinds of yummy sauces and can usually be found on the top shelf with the rest of the gravy and sauce packets. They are yellow and green.

I always found their vegetable soup mix made the best dip. They've been around forever, I think they were bought up by somebody. Have not checked out their other stuff, good to know!

I have a spicy spaghetti seasoning mix that I use quite often when I don't have the time to cut up veggies. It is very good, and like others here, I use taco seasoning. The funny thing is that I didn't realize until I was a young adult that there were packaged gravy mix or sloppy Joe mix. I just always made them from scotch, and thought everyone else did too. I still can't bring myself to use sloppy Joe mix. Just doesn't taste right!

Auto correct changed my scratch to scotch. I actually don't make it from scotch!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom