Les Miserables - the film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlie, Les Mis is more along the lines of an opera than a true musical. There are not individual songs that pop out in the midst of spoken dialog like say Oklahoma or Sound of Music. Everything is sung so you might enjoy it if you like opera.

All the musicals I have been to have been sung all the way through though so I count this as a musical. I can't think of a musical on the theatre with dialogue in between, but maybe I just haven't seen it yet .

I understand, but in my mind certain things just do not fit to be musical or opera for that matter. Though I loved sounds of music.

All the musicals I have been to have been sung all the way through though so I count this as a musical. I can't think of a musical on the theatre with dialogue in between, but maybe I just haven't seen it yet .

All of the classic musicals from Broadway are basically plays with songs thrown in for emphasis. Think South Pacific, Oklahoma, Carousel, My Fair Lady. Even Phantom of the Opera is that way. Then you have the genre where everything is sung more like a modern opera, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Super Star, Les Mis, Cats. I think here in the states they call these musicals because folks would be put off if they labeled them operas!

Mama Mia, Forty Second Street, Thoroughly Modern Millie just to name a few that have dialogue interspersed with music. :angel:

All of the classic musicals from Broadway are basically plays with songs thrown in for emphasis. Think South Pacific, Oklahoma, Carousel, My Fair Lady. Even Phantom of the Opera is that way. Then you have the genre where everything is sung more like a modern opera, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Super Star, Les Mis, Cats. I think here in the states they call these musicals because folks would be put off if they labeled them operas!

Perfect explanation, Jabbur! I would add the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, all sung too, are called operettas. The Mikado, Pirates of Penzance, HMS Pinafore. Loved 'em.

Well I loved the film , and being a fan of the theatre production I wasn't sure if I would love it . It was fantastic though, I actually understood the story better because obviously the theatre is a bit limited but the film captured it all . Wonderful *sighs dreamily *

Back
Top Bottom