Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently I'm watching "Grimm" - I know, I know....

Also repeats of "The Big Bang Theory" - It isn't that far fetched - I knew characters like them when I was a student!!!

"Downton Abbey" is on again on British TV but not at times I can watch - and anyway I watched the original. It was interesting to us, up to a point, the first time round as one set of my maternal great-grandparents were Butler and House-keeper for an Earl around the end of the 19th century. Later, when they left service, they ran quite high class hotels in the Derbshire area and when they retired from the hotel trade they took over the local pub in the village where my mother was brought up.

A family story tells of the time they ran a very upper class hotel in Derby and the King's jockey was staying there for the Derby races. The jockey made an improper "pass" at one of the maids who reported him to my Great Grandmother who sent GGfather to sort the jockey out. Apparently, GGfather, a very well-built and strong man, held the jockey by the ankles over the banister of the 2nd floor landing and told him that he would be dropped over the banister if he ever upset a servant again. Apparently he said "Jockeys are 10 for a penny but good servants are hard to find".

Last edited:
Derry Girls on Netflix

Recently, in a conversation about Veronica Mars, there was some talk about the tedium of TV about high school kids.

Derry Girls is a good one. Two seasons are each only six ½ hour episodes, so not a big investment. I was watching this alone and laughing out loud. It's an Irish show and some of the accents are thick enough that I enjoy it a little more with subtitles.

That one is on "my list", Kayelle...

It may be an interesting series.. :)

Ross

I think you'll be impressed with the 6 part series Ross. I like that there's lots of explanations between the dramatic scenes as I'd be lost otherwise, although may not be 100% accurate. The acting is quite impressive. This is not for children. :blink:

Recently, in a conversation about Veronica Mars, there was some talk about the tedium of TV about high school kids.

Derry Girls is a good one. Two seasons are each only six ½ hour episodes, so not a big investment. I was watching this alone and laughing out loud. It's an Irish show and some of the accents are thick enough that I enjoy it a little more with subtitles.

Your post had me looking for this..

Its like a train wreck.. Not at all my type of humor but, I can't stop watching it.. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

Anyone watching Yellowstone....? Kay....? :LOL:
WOW...last night's episode....! :ohmy::ohmy:

I don't think I've ever seen a series with such top notch acting as this one, IMO. Despite the rough scenes in last night's episode, I loved that the end theme was love and family in the rather dysfunctional Dutton family.

Looking forward to the next 3 before the season finale.

Last edited:
Cheryl, we just finished watching the latest Yellowstone episode, and it took my breath away on many levels.....holly bat guano!! You are so right about the top notch acting!

Last edited:
Where are you watching Yellowstone? On CMT? It doesn’t appear to be on any of the usual streaming services.

It's on the Paramount Network. It's available on my TV, but if it isn't on yours, there's a free app for the network. It's best to start with season one to get the background of the story. The show has been renewed for season three next summer.

Thanks for posting that, Kay! It's always interesting to hear what the actors felt while filming those intense scenes. Love this series! I'm going to go through withdrawals when it ends until next summer. :(:LOL:

It's also interesting that Kelly Reilly (Beth) is British. She has the American accent nailed!

bbqcoder....look it up and watch it, if you're interested! It is a GREAT series.

Last edited:
Its a favorite time of the year for me..

I'm watching the regional playoffs of Little League baseball.. The World Series begins Aug 15th in Williamsport, Pa.

Love watching kids play baseball.. :)

Ross

I have started watching The Other Life on Netflix. Poor parody of Alien, really poor. And, I hate to sound judgmental, but the fact that main character is a but ugly woman only makes it worse. Oh, and the fact that they keep using fowl language, every other word is just absolutely disgusting. I am no prude and sometimes "F" could be appropriate, but every other word is just wrong.
I love Science Fiction, but I think I need to stop watching this.

Himself watches when he remembers it's on, but I never got into it.

We binge-watched "The Good Place" last night. Popped disc 1 in the player around 9 and then "just one more episoded" our way through both discs and 13 episodes. Season Two on order at the library.

Back
Top Bottom