Look what Chloe Dog treed today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
This guy was snuggled up in the window well under the back steps, which was full of leaves. He didn't want to leave, but DH ran him off with the leaf blower.
Then Chloe got him cornered on the deck, and he finally ran up a nearby tree.

Attachments

• West City Coon III.jpg
    West City Coon III.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 215
That's weird.... I already replied to this thread and now my post is gone.

Anyway, again, Very nice, pic Constance.

The are very clever, and have amazing manual dexterity. In some areas, they have learned to open bungee straps.

The thing we were worried about today, was that the raccoon didn't run off the way he should have, and Kim was worried that something was wrong with him. Raccoons are a big carrier of rabies around here, and he said he might have to shoot it.
Fortunately, it took off. Chloe dog has been vaccinated, but my 10 yr. old grandson has not.

no, they're not all that clean. they have to poop somewhere, and if they make a home in your house, one spot becomes the bathroom.

i had one living in the attic of an old apartment once. my landlord was on vacation, so i had to wait to call him to get an exterminator to trap the masked guy.

so, i went into the attic, armed with a flashlight and 10 foot fishing rod, intending to poke at him to get him to go out through the hole he used to enter/egress the attic, then close said hole to keep him out.

i got him cornered near the hole, but had to squeeze me body into a really tight spot to try to force him out. there i was, barely able to move, laying prone with a pole in one hand and flashlight in the other, poking away at his chubby little body. then, in a flash, he disappeared. the next sound i heard was angry little chirping noises, directly behind me. :huh:

i wished i'd never watched cartoons as a kid (lol, or adult), because all i could picture was him standing behind me with a huge hammer, waiting for me to turn over.

after screaming like a school girl, i wriggled out of my precarious position and gave up the fight.

racoon = 1, me = 0.

book

buckytom, have you ever thought of putting all your different 'experiences' in a book? You really do describe in detail what kind of unusual life you have had. Hope you don't mind that I laugh at most of them, even though at the time you truly were wondering the outcome.

The are very clever, and have amazing manual dexterity. In some areas, they have learned to open bungee straps.

The thing we were worried about today, was that the raccoon didn't run off the way he should have, and Kim was worried that something was wrong with him. Raccoons are a big carrier of rabies around here, and he said he might have to shoot it.
Fortunately, it took off. Chloe dog has been vaccinated, but my 10 yr. old grandson has not.

:) Isn't it a bit unusual to see a coon in the day time? I thought they were nocturnal.

:) When I had my redbone coon hound Henry, the first time he saw a coon in Texas he went beserk and and went after the coon they ended up in the creek fighting. Luckily it was shallow water because Henry was a lousy swimmer and coons have been known to drown a dog in deeper water.

Have one hiss at you..You turn and run for your life..We have one who adores the feed we use for the horses and he raids the can every night if we don't make sure the chain is on...Plus he makes the horse we are fattening up crazy the poor thing whinnies and makes smarting noises and runs up and down the fence line and Mr Racoon sits and eats...
kadesma

Good girl, Chloe! I do like the look of racoons, but ever since I was camping and a couple of then got into the garbage can at our campsite and hucked corn cobs that hit me on the head through the tent I have been a little less enamored by them!

Chloe is continuing to run the masked rascal off our property, so I'm sure he'll be gone before long.

My friend, who is an RN and lives on 200 acres in the middle of nowhere, has raised several orphaned baby coons, and I have fed a bottle to a few of them. They are precious, especially when they get old enough to grasp the tiny bottle with their little hands.
I have also seen my friend's ankle chewed up really badly, when one of them came back with her babies, after she had been released into the wild. Friend got a little too close to the babies, and was attacked by the animal she had raised from a baby.

You should realize, and tell your children...wild animals, including rabbits, squirrels and even precious Bambie, are all WILD animals, and should never be approached by you or the child. Even a tame goose could bite a plug out of your toddler, so be careful.

Yes, I got bit by a squirrel once while feeding it a nut. I don't know who it scared most, me or him! I got a tetanus shot, but all was fine. Just won't feed them directly any more....or at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom