Look what I found in my backyard!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I knew we had wild strawberries growing, but I didn't know we had fruit. PeppA, my other half, spotted some growing, then I found some in another part of the yard. This one is about the size of a marble.

2007wildstrawberry1pr7.jpg

wild!

I came home w/ two store bought pints of strawberries and my sweetie said he'd already had some today. "Huh?" They came from our garden! Not wild, but we're so happy to have them doing so well in their second year. I wonder what the diff is btwn cultivated and wild in flavor?

Nice!

now you should make some U clips with a bit of coathanger wire and peg down the runners they throw off a bit later, they`ll soon spread :)

Katie E said:
Aren't you lucky to have found them? Keep looking. And, guess what, this gives you an excuse not to cut the grass.:LOL:

I can't mow the yard yet. The Lawn mower just will not start. I've replaced the spark plug and air filter. I'm probably going to have to take it to a small engine repair shop and have it worked on.

YT2095 said:
Nice!

now you should make some U clips with a bit of coathanger wire and peg down the runners they throw off a bit later, they`ll soon spread :)

They've spread all over the back yard, and part of the side of the house as well.

We have them also but ours never get big enough to eat before the squirrels and birds eat them.

Gee last time I had wild strawberries was almost 20 years ago. Wow, can you buy them somewhere? i have never seen them ever since I moved to US

We had them at our old house. When we moved in there was just a small patch and by the time we moved 5 years later they had spread a lot.

I lived away up in northern Minnesota (Ely) and I had a big patch in the backyard.

It took me two days to pick a quart (they are tiny) but that quart made the best strawberry shortcake ever.

One of the very few things I miss about Ely.

CharlieD said:
Gee last time I had wild strawberries was almost 20 years ago. Wow, can you buy them somewhere? i have never seen them ever since I moved to US

My son bought some in the seasonal dept of WW and most garden shops carry them. They make beautiful green leafy plants but they only produce berries during the spring and the fall. I am sure that there are different types of strawberry plants and maybe some produce berries all season long. We have a lot of wild blackberry plants and they have berries during the summer. It is not too late or maybe about the right time to plant some grape vines. There are some across the street that taste like Welch's grape. This used to be a Greek neighborhood and I am sure they were planted for wine. There is also an apricot tree. Apricots sure taste different off the tree. The apricot tree only produces fruit during late spring but it is a beautiful tree.

Back
Top Bottom